NEPL 2022

Jonny Wightman

Have done -reject from the Academy.
One to look at is Josh Allison - leading NEPL wicket taker at Felling, 20 year old at Durham University.
Quandary for Franklin is he wishes to accommodate promising fit youngsters like Paul Coughlin.
Not sure John Oswell played for the Academy 🤔 His brother Matty did 2017-19.Both currently playing for Northumberland at Tynemouth v Cumberland in a 3 day NCCA alongside Alasdair Appleby and Matty Scott who trialled at Notts seconds the other week.Sol Bell and Stuart Poynter also playing for Northumberland

Surely Durham need to be looking at Oswell
Northants are.
Not sure John Oswell played for the Academy 🤔 His brother Matty did 2017-19.Both currently playing for Northumberland at Tynemouth v Cumberland in a 3 day NCCA alongside Alasdair Appleby and Matty Scott who trialled at Notts seconds the other week.Sol Bell and Stuart Poynter also playing for Northumberland
Dont think John did. Matty played as high as Durham Seconds.

Last edited:
John batted for a much changed Yorkshire 2nds on the final day a fortnight back v Durham 2nds.
Didn't know about Yorkshire although I'm not surprised as the likes of James Lowe who used to be one of the DCB under age coaches is now in a prominent position at Yorkshire. James will have a very broad knowledge of the current and former DCB players. Still playing for Middlesbrough as far as I'm aware.

I know that Northants are keeping tabs on John.

Didn't know about Yorkshire although I'm not surprised as the likes of James Lowe who used to be one of the DCB under age coaches is now in a prominent position at Yorkshire. James will have a very broad knowledge of the current and former DCB players. Still playing for Middlesbrough as far as I'm aware.

I know that Northants are keeping tabs on John.
Forgot that Lowe was now at Yorkshire. Could be an exodus of our academy products to their former mentor. Wouldn't blame them at all.

Forgot that Lowe was now at Yorkshire. Could be an exodus of our academy products to their former mentor. Wouldn't blame them at all.
James was my DCB U15 coach. The likes of Bushnell and Doneathy were in our side so if they dont get a fair crack of the whip at Durham then I'm sure James will have them down there in a shot.

James was a brilliant coach and a really nice bloke. I've never seen him play but am told that he is a very handy player for Middlesbrough.I assume that he is still playing for them despite his move to Yorkshire.

Last edited:
Quarter Finals of the NEPL 20/20 tonight.
Burnopfield bt Benwell Hill
Hetton Lyons bt Ashington
South North bt Whitburn
Burnmoor replay their abandoned game v Eppleton next Friday.
Burnmoor 175/2 bt Eppleton 116 all out to progress to finals day .Sure I've seen South North v Burnopfield at 1.30 pm on Sunday 17th on a NEPL fixture list with SN as the home venue 🤔

Genuine question
Is the premier league producing what it should. Been debated on here before (I have stated im an old dsl fan) and I now appreciate standard at top level is v good

But how many Durham players are coming from premier league sides as the starter clubs

Durham have produced a few England players but not so sure how many direct result of premier league

I check results and it seems the same old same old are the main contributors (great players mind)

I’m not fishing as standard is very high just wondering if it needs tinkering a bit maybe 4 players have to be under 21, just to encourage development

Back