NEPL 2022

Thye could always limit each club only having 1 team per age group. This would then force the hands of parents to move to clubs where kids get a game.

Some clubs have 3 under 11 teams yet others struggle to get 1 team
You'd still be in the situation where some kids wouldn't get as many games as others. You'd always need more than the 8 or 11 needed to play the games and the 'lesser' gifted ones would still miss out due to their lower skill levels.

I know it's all about participation at that age but nothing has a greater effect on whether people turn up week after week than getting beat every time you play. Kids from a family with some sort of cricketing background get that, as do their parents. Other parents, who've signed up their kids because it's a nice, genteel sport (in their eyes), don't get it, and that's when the demands start regarding why their young 'un isn't getting as many games as someone else's.

Thye could always limit each club only having 1 team per age group. This would then force the hands of parents to move to clubs where kids get a game.

Some clubs have 3 under 11 teams yet others struggle to get 1 team
You could get the issue of kids dropping out altogether. Hetton lyons are one of those clubs you talk about having 3 u11 teams, but if you just included kids from hetton itself and kids of ex players (one u11 seems pretty exclusively of that) they would still need more than 1 team. For some kids playing at certain clubs is just as convenient for the parent aswel from a social point of view.

You could get the issue of kids dropping out altogether. Hetton lyons are one of those clubs you talk about having 3 u11 teams, but if you just included kids from hetton itself and kids of ex players (one u11 seems pretty exclusively of that) they would still need more than 1 team. For some kids playing at certain clubs is just as convenient for the parent aswel from a social point of view.

Exactly. Kids wouldn’t go 2 miles down the road, they’d stop playing in the main.

The likes of these ‘super clubs’ should be applauded for what they’re doing with juniors, especially those subsequently loaning them out. As should the ones battling with only 10-15 kids too.

My club has a good junior set up, but I bet the vast majority just wouldn’t play cricket if it wasn’t there. No one’s being stolen from anywhere else really.

Heard he's had a shoulder injury that's why he hasn't played lately at Whitburn.On a 2 or 3 yr deal as Player/Coach.Unless he's had a decent job offer away from cricket 🤔
That's the official reason.

There's rumours of midnight (and later) phone calls to the skipper the night before games saying he's not available - just rumours at the minute, but given his track record, who knows?

Exactly. Kids wouldn’t go 2 miles down the road, they’d stop playing in the main.

The likes of these ‘super clubs’ should be applauded for what they’re doing with juniors, especially those subsequently loaning them out. As should the ones battling with only 10-15 kids too.

My club has a good junior set up, but I bet the vast majority just wouldn’t play cricket if it wasn’t there. No one’s being stolen from anywhere else really.
Those who wanted a game would travel down the road surely.

I would argue that having clubs with mass amounts of juniors in the long run means they don't play through to adulthood.

Smaller clubs would have more juniors playing in senior cricket. When you have South Hetton down the road who don't have a second team, means 11 less people playing on a Saturday

In fairness to clubs like Hetton lyons, I don't personally blame them as they need to look after number 1. Durham Cricket Board maybe need to consider a plan.
Travel also an issue, for example allowing Hartlepool CC to play in our region is a complete joke

Looking at the Durham Cricket League, a load of clubs struggling to field 2 Saturday teams. Sunday teams thriving but parents/players dont want to commit to Saturday cricket for some reason

I would argue that having clubs with mass amounts of juniors in the long run means they don't play through to adulthood.

Smaller clubs would have more juniors playing in senior cricket. When you have South Hetton down the road who don't have a second team, means 11 less people playing on a Saturday

In fairness to clubs like Hetton lyons, I don't personally blame them as they need to look after number 1. Durham Cricket Board maybe need to consider a plan.
Travel also an issue, for example allowing Hartlepool CC to play in our region is a complete joke

Looking at the Durham Cricket League, a load of clubs struggling to field 2 Saturday teams. Sunday teams thriving but parents/players dont want to commit to Saturday cricket for some reason
I’m not sure if there is a solution
As I have said before I am not knocking the likes of Hetton as what they do is great. I just worry more and more junior teams will fold which would reduce overall numbers in the future in my opinion. It’s a vicious circle.
It’s a shame as at Phili we get 60 plus to all stars but then converting them to hard ball u11 is hard work, lots don’t continue and others sign for bigger teams (think word gets round how good these clubs are and it influences some parents)
With regard lesser players losing out. At the u11 level this does not happen it’s a good structure with all players batting in pairs for 4 overs (if u r out u lose 5 runs) and all players bowling at least 2 overs. Most teams don’t care about results and if clubs have 9 then some players are subbed etc to ensure all 9 get a game.
All about enjoying it at that age for me making sure everyone plays with a smile in their face (no pressure)

Disagree mate. If, say, Hetton Lyons dropped a junior team or two I think most of the kids would drop out of cricket rather than go elsewhere.

If clubs are switched on and use the loan system (like Belmont and Kimblesworth have) then other clubs can benefit too.

Off the top of my head Boldon CA, East Rainton, Silksworth, Bill Quay, Hylton have all (re)started junior systems in the last few years… it seems to be picking up.

Disagree mate. If, say, Hetton Lyons dropped a junior team or two I think most of the kids would drop out of cricket rather than go elsewhere.

If clubs are switched on and use the loan system (like Belmont and Kimblesworth have) then other clubs can benefit too.

Off the top of my head Boldon CA, East Rainton, Silksworth, Bill Quay, Hylton have all (re)started junior systems in the last few years… it seems to be picking up.
I’m in 2 minds on this, loan system does work, it’s the coaching which is hard when numbers are low,
Hard to deliver really good team play based coaching with 4 or 5, quite rightly parents not happy and then move to where numbers are greater and better coaching can be delivered
On the plus side low numbers sometimes allows for more dedicated 1 to 1 stuff
Definately think there is scope for more senior juniors to be loaned out more for second team cricket, good on all fronts develops them and keeps clubs going

I agree that existing people may go elsewhere and not suggesting it's the perfect solution. I wonder if you look at clubs with 100 + 13 and under in their set up, what % actually end up continuing playing cricket once they are over 18. Would the % be different if they had more opportunities when they become 15/16 +

With regards to the loan system, it would depend on who was being loaned. If it's the academy lads who play a Sunday, then what would be the point. Would it be the 15+'s who aren't good enough for the academy teams so at least get a game of cricket? Or would clubs lend their better juniors and make up their academy team with the next level kids

No perfect answer but we need to increase the numbers continuing to play when they become adults. Loads of volume at Under 11's etc is great, and I think All Stars etc is starting to work and as you say those clubs above starting up again, but will take a few years to see their senior teams reap dividends

A lot of parents I see come to All Stars is to get kids out for an hour or so, and more than likely kids doing multiple sports. I guess even if 10% decide it's for them, it will make a big difference

Anyway, back to the NEPL thread and looking at the table, South North moving away at the top. At the bottom end, Sunderland look doomed unless thy can pull a run of results together. CLS moving in the right direction and Eppleton on a good run. Looks like it will be Whitburn who look fairly weak without Burnham or Eppleton for the last relegation spot

In Division 1, Ashington look like they will get a top 2 position and the other end Washington starting to struggle.

4 games of WDL cricket and then 5 W/D cricket. The latter with a maximum of 20 points means teams don't want to be more than 30/35 points behind otherwise it may be hard to make up ground

Let's hope the league see's sense and reverts to one format or the other from next year

I’m in 2 minds on this, loan system does work, it’s the coaching which is hard when numbers are low,
Hard to deliver really good team play based coaching with 4 or 5, quite rightly parents not happy and then move to where numbers are greater and better coaching can be delivered
On the plus side low numbers sometimes allows for more dedicated 1 to 1 stuff
Definately think there is scope for more senior juniors to be loaned out more for second team cricket, good on all fronts develops them and keeps clubs going
We've seen the opposite at Rainton, 3 or 4 of the kids tried the Lyons, but found it too busy and not enough time with coaches. So moved to a smaller club.

Same time don't think there has been a concession this year (Hylton did because whole squad were at the Sunderland game) a marked contrast to last year.

Last edited:
We've seen the opposite at Rainton, 3 or 4 of the kids tried the Lyons, but found it too busy and not enough time with coaches. So moved to a smaller club.

Same time don't think there has been a concession this year (Hylton did because whole squad were at the Sunderland game) a marked contrast to last year.
Hylton didn’t get a concession we were fined and docked points for having 40+ season ticket holders wanting to attend the biggest sporting fixture in the country that weekend.

Back