Music you and ya Da had/have in common...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Traditional jazz. Grew up with it, moved away from it when I was a rebellious stupid teenager, then found my way back to it. I learned a lot about the music and the artists of that time from him. I think I love the music more because of what that music means to him than anything else.

I did a compilation CD for Dad every year at Christmas. Sometimes he’d request a specific song if he’d heard something on the radio that he liked. He invariably played his music in the car.

In 2013 he died. He fell off a stepladder

When me and my brothers were trying to think of music to play at the funeral, I had an idea. We could go to the car and see what music Cd he’d been listening to most recently. So we did. I got in the car, inserted the key, turned the CD player on and the track he’d been playing when he parked the car, after he’d been to the shop to buy a bracket, prior to ascending the stepladder he’d fallen off, whilst trying to affix it, started to play.

It was “I believe I can fly” by R Kelly.

We didn’t play it at the funeral
:lol:

Some of my taste comes naturally from me mar and dar. Likes of Bob Dylan and Bob Segar from me dar, more soul from me mar. Remember listening to loads of MJ when I was a little’un, and even watching that weird film with him in, Moonwalker?

Buddy Holly, The Kinks & the Rolling Stones.

Me auld man liked some utter shite anarl mind as he got older. Late Rod Stewart stuff and ABBA from the late 70's.

Putting daft songs on alexa with our lass recently I hoyed a few drifters n hot chocolate on. A fortnight in solou Id hear that 80% of the time on a tape.
Took me back like, some brilliant tunes.
Lionel Richie, Eagles n Neil Diamond have been passed down too.

My grandfather had his own dance band. He played saxophone and violin beautifully. My grandmother was a self taught pianist. Their gift was not passed on to me.
However, my daughter plays piano and my son plays guitar.
My parents loved music but not one particular artist. Our house is always full of music. Recently My missus and me have been to see Daryl Hall and John Oates at Manchester and Tears For Fears at Leeds and both times my daughter and son asked to come with us.
Made me feel as proud as punch.

My Dad liked Glen Campbell when I was a kid and my Mam Tom Jones. They took me to see Roy Orbinson when I was about 8; we were on holiday in Margate of all places, my first gig.

Apart from that I don't think we went to any gigs together.

Been to a good few with my kids

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back