Music you and ya Da had/have in common...

Discussion in 'SMB' started by Thackeray, Jun 14, 2019.

1. Thackeray

Thackeray Striker

Idea shamelessly stolen from Steve Lurpak on 6 Music tonight...

My Dad was a drummer who played 5 nights a week throughout my childhood, and who absolutely idolised Buddy Rich. We eventually saw him together at the Royal Festival Hall, which was without question one of the best gigs I ever attended...

Absolutely anything counts.

Music you and your Ma both love/loved obviously also counts...

2. yorkyexile

yorkyexile Striker

For an owl;d fuddy duddy local preacher/trainee minister me ma actually had the cooler taste. Ray Charles, Stones, Small Faces etc. But as cool or as uncool as you may think it is me dad always played in brass bands and got me into playing instruments.
    Actually miss playing brass and hoping once i finally get to hang up my dads taxi hat i can start playing again

Anyway the band me dad is in currently did a production of this not so long back and they were good

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    riffraff, HerdnMulhall, Boy and 3 others like this.
  3. wellpotshot

wellpotshot New Member

Shirley Bassey, Roger Whitaker (only because he was born in Durham), Mario Lanza, and the female duo who sang "Yes sir, I can boogie", and I almost forgot the Lighthouse Family.

4. Gala

Gala Midfield

Neil Diamond

jackpunch, Thackeray and Stray Cat like this.
  5. None! He liked Glenn Millar and people from that style/era. Everything from about 1950 onwards was classed as "modern tinky tonky rubbish" :eek::lol:

6. yorkyexile

yorkyexile Striker

Heathen. Nowt wrang with Glen Miller, just don`t listen to it on a plane :lol:

Ginger John likes this.
  7. Wilfy

Wilfy Striker

The Walker Brothers. :cool:

riffraff, jackpunch and Thackeray like this.
  8. Kid Galahad

Kid Galahad Striker

Probably easier to name the things we don't both like tbh, though I take credit for him liking Elvis now, was always more into the British beat bands but I have retrospectively shown him what he was missing!

yorkyexile likes this.
  9. He had this honky tonk piano cassette that he got for like 10p or something in Woolies bargain bin. He kept putting it on over and over again when we were driving to France. He thought it was brilliant but we were all groaning everytime the cassette came out :lol:

Thackeray and yorkyexile like this.
  10. yorkyexile

yorkyexile Striker

:lol: to be fair i do the same to my lot now with Pink Floyd. I`ve worn three copies of PULSE out :lol:

Ginger John likes this.
  11. Motorheed.

12. Thackeray

Thackeray Striker

We could easily stretch this to our kids. My 15 year old daughter is currently wearing out my vinyl copy of Germ Free Adolescents.

riffraff, Quench, Uncle D and 6 others like this.
  13. Skandhaless

Skandhaless Striker

My dad was canny old born in 1919 but I still have a soft spot for some of the war time crooners he used to sing along to..

Space Hopper likes this.
  14. My son asked why did I give birth to him after Britpop as he would have loved to grow up with it :lol:

Thackeray likes this.
  15. chopsfc007

chopsfc007 Striker

Frankie and the heartstrings

16. c032745y

c032745y Winger

riffraff likes this.
  17. SOLOL

SOLOL Goalkeeper

My Dad introduced me to Prince Buster. I take credit for introducing him to Rancid and The Transplants though.

riffraff, Longy and Thackeray like this.
  18. Billy2Sheds

Billy2Sheds Midfield

Dire straits - will no doubt get some dissent on here but reminds me of getting taken to football on a Sunday

Andy_Roker1983 likes this.
  19. Arkle

Arkle Striker Contributor

Dad - Glenn Miller, some classical stuff
    Mam - Neil Dimaond, Queen, Bruce Springsteen, Jeff Buckley, Rufus Wainwright, Einst├╝rzende Neubauten

20. jubblies

jubblies Striker

Elvis
    Motown

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
    riffraff likes this.