Music you and ya Da had/have in common...

Queen and Bowie come immediately to mind but I'm sure there's loads more.

Me and Dad - Bilby Cobham, Stanley Clarke, Weather Report, little feat...

Me and Mum god rest her soul...
Whitesnake (ready an’ willin ) any dub Reggae, mostly king tubby, Metallica

All three of us love(d) the Goons...if that counts

Earliest musical memory.

My father was a sea-farer and was away for 9 months of the year. Usually in the Far East.
Then one day we got word he was in European waters and sailing down the east coast of England past Sunderland.
My mum got us all together and we walked down Sea Lane and we stood on the cliffs and as we waited for his ship to pass she started to sing 'Blow the wind southerly' the song ever since I've associated with Kathleen Ferrier, my mother, a sunny windswept day in Sunderland with white horses cresting out to sea.
Then there it was, my father's ship and we recognised it by it's crest and it's oil tanker shape, it's black and white and red paintwork-
Dear me, that must have been over 60 years ago.
Sentimental old fool I turning into.
But whenever I hear that song, sung by Kathleen Ferrier, I'm back there.

'They told me that there were ships in the offing and I hurried down to the clear blue sea...'

Had a day to think about this...........

Sam Cooke
Jackie Wilson
Dion
Bobby Darin
Del Shannon
Ben E King
Frankie Valli
Patsy Cline
Diana Ross
Patsy Cline
Dusty Springfield
Wilson Pickett
Percy Sledge

More to come

My dad loved Frank Sinatra and I have a taste for his music. Songs dont get much better than I've Got You Under My Skin.

When he was alive my dad liked Led Zeppelin and Robert Plant with Kashmir, Stairway and Big Log being 3 of his favourites.

I've also got a taste for my grandas 20's / 30's taste in music. Anything Goes, You're The Top, Swanee are all classic songs. A shout out also for Al Bowly.

My Dad liked Glen Campbell when I was a kid and my Mam Tom Jones. They took me to see Roy Orbinson when I was about 8; we were on holiday in Margate of all places, my first gig.

Apart from that I don't think we went to any gigs together.

Been to a good few with my kids
My son tells us that Witchita Lineman reminds him of us.

Back