Motivation whilst being made redundant

Status
Not open for further replies.

This morning was the first time ever I felt like I couldn't cope with being in the office today and struggled like fuck out of bed to get to work.

Anyone been in a similar situation where you basically know your role is redundant and you're still expected to give 100% to deliver work which is basically nails in your own coffin? I've been given an estimated date of this time next year as when I'll be gone, and the whole office is the same meaning it's a glum office with the life draining out of everyone. Not only have I got to keep myself motivated but I've also got to try and motivate my team.

I'll get a decent package at the end of it having been with the company over 20 years , but the thought of that isn't helping...a year away until I can move on seems a hell of a long time away but no way am I giving up the package.

Being made redundant was the best thing that happened to me, I had some time off and went on holiday, than came back and set up my own business and I've never looked back...

What the fuck do 'contractors' even do man? Every man and his dog on here is a 'contractor' but I couldn't tell you for the life of me what they actually do. Do they just go around installing PCs?
They get paid better for doing a job than a direct employee. They do whatever they are contracted to do.

They get paid better for doing a job than a direct employee. They do whatever they are contracted to do.
And also have worse t&cs and can be let go with minimum notice.

More often than not work for a worse financial package than a directly paid employee of the company

I've heard people refer to them as scabs quite often......

This morning was the first time ever I felt like I couldn't cope with being in the office today and struggled like fuck out of bed to get to work.

Anyone been in a similar situation where you basically know your role is redundant and you're still expected to give 100% to deliver work which is basically nails in your own coffin? I've been given an estimated date of this time next year as when I'll be gone, and the whole office is the same meaning it's a glum office with the life draining out of everyone. Not only have I got to keep myself motivated but I've also got to try and motivate my team.

I'll get a decent package at the end of it having been with the company over 20 years , but the thought of that isn't helping...a year away until I can move on seems a hell of a long time away but no way am I giving up the package.
take up matched betting during work

More often than not work for a worse financial package than a directly paid employee of the company

Sounds like they need to review that contract swiftly then.

Not sure I know a single contractor on worse financial package that I've seen.

My position was made redundant at the back end of last year, along with two thirds of the workforce at my old place, an oil and gas component supplier. It was ironic that personally, I'd never been busier when the redundacies were announced in Septemeber and I continued to work like buggery right untl the last day to the point I was too busy to look for other jobs. Yes, possibly a mistake but even in retrospect unavoidable.

For me, I hated the subject matter of the job and I found it deathly boring. I was a Quality Assurance Engineer and bluntly put, a pen pusher. I also found the job intrusive as the audit and NCR process meant having to stick my nose in where it wasn't wanted and at times telling people how to do their jobs. The workforce regarded the quality aspects as extra tasks preventing them getting on with their own jobs. I'll add I ended up in the job by accident and for family reasons, I was unable to look for something else.

Redundancy brought about conflicting feelings. I didn't like the idea of being out of work, but glad to be clear of Quality and being one of the facility's "policemen". The lads on the shop floor even whistled "A policeman's lot is not a happy one" when they saw one of the Quality people coming.

My actual core skills are Materials Science and Engineering, however, this is a subject area that has fallen out of fashion in the last 20 years with the Mechanical and Electrical Engineers able to to do their own materials work. My situation as it stands now is having to retrain. If I was to stay in Quality, I would have to retrain at my own cost in automotive and possibly aerospace quality standards with these being the in-demand engineering areas in the North East at the moment.

So having to retrain, I may as well retrain to escape Quality and do something different and this is exactly what I'm planning to do. I'm currently working through in my head what direction I want to take. If I'm to be considered as anything else but a Quality professional (ugh) with not quite the right skills set, then retrain I must.

In plain English, it could well be an opportunity to look to do something different with your life and head in a new direction. I don't know what your financial status is, however, if mortgage and family costs aren't going to prevent you moving on then redundancy could be a new start.

If finances do not allow, then I would advise you to start looking for a new job now rather than wait for the redundancy cheque. Whilst you may be able to bank the cheque, it doesn't last long and finding something else beforehand even if you lose the cheque may be a better option if finances are tight and you need to guarantee a wage. I say this from the perspective that looking for something new can be a lot harder once you're no longer in employment and job-active.

Try not to look at it as an end, but the possibility of the chance of a new start. It's too easy to fall into a rut of sticking the same nine to five job and only looking for something new once your hand is forced.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back