Motivation whilst being made redundant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Business/Systems Analysis. Never fancied the PM role. There are plenty of roles around if you look hard enough
Operations Management is where I'd rather end up, however with outsourcing the amount of roles needed in this area has declined, although I can turn my hand at service delivery management.

Sounds like one of those poncy job titles made up by someone whos just been given their notice. :lol:

It's not a job title. It's a description of an activity. Coaching. In the workplace. People who believe it's poncy don't participate. Which is fine and dandy. These people also tend to use the term 'graft' when discussing their activities in IT support at a call centre.

Exactly the same situation here, including the outsourcing company for our applications.

Service is taking a nosedive, yet the KPI's they have in place don't seem to backup what is actually happening in real life.
While this has been going on we've had almost daily outages to a key core service - yet in mgmt briefings people are told the business are happy with the stability of services :lol:
What's been weird is that there seems to have been a hush over the layoffs, people in other parts of IT have no idea there's a bunch of us being laid off next week.

Operations Management is where I'd rather end up, however with outsourcing the amount of roles needed in this area has declined, although I can turn my hand at service delivery management.
From experience, Management positions are rarely available for Contractors (that said, the Ops Manager and his director are both contractors at my current place of work. Every Ops man position I've held was a permanent role

It's not a job title. It's a description of an activity. Coaching. In the workplace. People who believe it's poncy don't participate. Which is fine and dandy. These people also tend to use the term 'graft' when discussing their activities in IT support at a call centre.
So its someones job to do it then?

So its someones job to do it then?

No.

I take a piss. In the toilet. In the workplace. But it's not my job. The remuneration would be pretty poor for a start and the job description would be relatively vague.

In large organisations people often apply skills that aren't necessarily part of their day job in order to support others. Like when people need help during redundancy exercises ...or when people are being bullied, or simply to mentor junior colleagues. People help with staff networks and do all sorts of things. It often supplements the kind of services that are offered by contracted employee support companies and by people who have professional skills - but are busy directing them elsewhere.

It's all very poncy.

No.

I take a piss. In the toilet. In the workplace. But it's not my job. The remuneration would be pretty poor for a start and the job description would be relatively vague.

In large organisations people often apply skills that aren't necessarily part of their day job in order to support others. Like when people need help during redundancy exercises ...or when people are being bullied, or simply to mentor junior colleagues. People help with staff networks and do all sorts of things. It often supplements the kind of services that are offered by contracted employee support companies and by people who have professional skills - but are busy directing them elsewhere.

It's all very poncy.
It f***ing sounds it n'all! ;)

Speak to Lance at ManPower, Newcastle. He's the guy for any it / engineering jobs. He'll put you in touch with the right people.

I don't work in recruitment, but know a few companies that may be on the lookout for your skills.

Drop me a PM if you need to.

Speak to Lance at ManPower, Newcastle. He's the guy for any it / engineering jobs. He'll put you in touch with the right people.

I don't work in recruitment, but know a few companies that may be on the lookout for your skills.

Drop me a PM if you need to.
Got at least a year here before having to look at opportunities, manpower would be one company I'll be contacting as they are used by my current company for temp staff.

...and I've got a feeling they may need a lot of us back!

This morning was the first time ever I felt like I couldn't cope with being in the office today and struggled like fuck out of bed to get to work.

Anyone been in a similar situation where you basically know your role is redundant and you're still expected to give 100% to deliver work which is basically nails in your own coffin? I've been given an estimated date of this time next year as when I'll be gone, and the whole office is the same meaning it's a glum office with the life draining out of everyone. Not only have I got to keep myself motivated but I've also got to try and motivate my team.

I'll get a decent package at the end of it having been with the company over 20 years , but the thought of that isn't helping...a year away until I can move on seems a hell of a long time away but no way am I giving up the package.
Be professional. You've got a full year to get some training done and look for a new job.
Fair enough if you get a tap to say you've got a month's notice to work, but being told a year in advance is a decent way to find out.

Help your team in the same way as outlined. And best of luck mate.

Like the band on the Titanic, me. :D

In fairness, it helped me out in the long run. I kept getting my notice period extended by 3 months here, 6 months there to go and work on various other projects. Ended up being on notice for 4.5 years in the end :lol:

I got notice of redundancy.. Change manager asked if I could help out for 3 months while they were trying to get a project pushed through and he could concentrate his resources.

lasted over 2 years in a totally different role.

it also meant another 6k or so in redundancy I got so all was good

Our company is in administration at the moment - most of the folk in the 2 English depots have already gone but they're trying to sell us as a going concern. Obviously it's not great at the moment - but the incentive is still there for us to keep going. I've had a nod and a wink that I'll be okay regardless (which sounds selfish) but I would prefer if we can keep the whole thing going.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back