More ‘Hundred’ fuckwittery

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think it's a bit simplistic to just say that the only people who are anti the Hundred are people who's counties are being left out.

Surrey have been made, as I saw on Twitter, the "poster boys for the rebellion against the Hundred", and aside from a veiled threat from Graves when he was pissed up, the ECB have almost begged for there to be an oval based side, even moving the Oval Test match next summer forward to allow us to start the reconstruction work earlier, yet I still don't know a single soul at Surrey - member, committee, CEO, playing staff - who wants anything to do with it.

To sort of shrug your shoulders and say "well, if you haven't got a team in your area, you're gonna be against it" is not judging how passionately the vast majority of cricket fans are dead against it - even the counties with franchises attached.

I'll echo that from here at Old Trafford. Nobody, absolutely nobody, wants anything to do with a team that isn't Lancashire. The staff hate it, the coaches hate it, the supporters hate it. The groundstaff are absolutely furious with the idea of preparing wickets (and getting some pressure and/or outside influence) that might not be in the interest of Lancs.

I expect a concerted effort to get behind the Lancs T20 side and return it to a 4 week long competition.

I'll echo that from here at Old Trafford. Nobody, absolutely nobody, wants anything to do with a team that isn't Lancashire. The staff hate it, the coaches hate it, the supporters hate it. The groundstaff are absolutely furious with the idea of preparing wickets (and getting some pressure and/or outside influence) that might not be in the interest of Lancs.

I expect a concerted effort to get behind the Lancs T20 side and return it to a 4 week long competition.

There is no doubt in my mind there should only be one competition of the shorter format.

I love T20 cricket always have think it’s brilliant entertainment, but too much of a good thing is bad.

Overkill which 2 competitons are bad for the game.

No I agre with every word you have just said, but was just making the point before T20 a lot of people on here were criticising it and calling it and are now singing the praises of it!
They are but the comparison is not the same

Baylis gave it away when he left about wanting ten counties only. The 100 is the first step to achieving that.

There is no doubt in my mind once the draft is over, any half decent player from the counties not involved, will be tapped constantly to join the county where the 100 season based

All to be seen but the basic premise is wrong. They want a “new audience”. Why then play games at grounds which are sold out for t20 already? Surely the new audience are waiting to be gained at grounds that don’t fill for t20?

Any kids in the south west, north east etc, watching the game on bbc, turns to their parents and says, dad/mam can we go to a game, it looks great.

Well sorry son/daughter it’s a 200 mile round trip and not possible.

That’s my gripe, bring in the format but play it everywhere

All the money is going outside the english game with all coaches being overseas. We will then see further money going overseas, when Dre russ, Gayle, de villiers, the usual suspects all getting the big money in the draft

In what way is paying overseas coaches and players £50 and £100 grand for two months a benefit to the english game and support base?

Next year is 2020 that was a huge marketing opportunity for the current t20 to be given all the money the 100 has been allocated. One simple way of increasing crowds is this, let england players take part. It really was that easy

Baylis gave it away when he left about wanting ten counties only. The 100 is the first step to achieving that.

There is no doubt in my mind once the draft is over, any half decent player from the counties not involved, will be tapped constantly to join the county where the 100 season based

All to be seen but the basic premise is wrong. They want a “new audience”. Why then play games at grounds which are sold out for t20 already? Surely the new audience are waiting to be gained at grounds that don’t fill for t20?

Any kids in the south west, north east etc, watching the game on bbc, turns to their parents and says, dad/mam can we go to a game, it looks great.

All the money is going outside the english game with all coaches being overseas. We will then see further money going overseas, when Dre russ, Gayle, de villiers, the usual suspects all getting the big money in the draft

In what way is paying overseas coaches and players £50 and £100 grand for two months a benefit to the english game and support base?

Next year is 2020 that was a huge marketing opportunity for the current t20 to be given all the money the 100 has been allocated. One simple way of increasing crowds is this, let england players take part. It really was that easy

I don’t think anyone is disagreeing with that, as long as there is a short entertaining top quality short format of the game and fans are enterained nothing wrong imo with keeping the blast.

I don’t think anyone is disagreeing with that, as long as there is a short entertaining top quality short format of the game and fans are enterained nothing wrong imo with keeping the blast.
I expect this to be exciting but the way it’s being limited to certain areas is wrong.

Glamorgan do they deserve a franchise?

I can't help thinking that the Hundred started off as an April Fool joke in the ECB offices but backfired badly to the point where they can't back out of it now.

I think it's a bit simplistic to just say that the only people who are anti the Hundred are people who's counties are being left out.

Surrey have been made, as I saw on Twitter, the "poster boys for the rebellion against the Hundred", and aside from a veiled threat from Graves when he was pissed up, the ECB have almost begged for there to be an oval based side, even moving the Oval Test match next summer forward to allow us to start the reconstruction work earlier, yet I still don't know a single soul at Surrey - member, committee, CEO, playing staff - who wants anything to do with it.

To sort of shrug your shoulders and say "well, if you haven't got a team in your area, you're gonna be against it" is not judging how passionately the vast majority of cricket fans are dead against it - even the counties with franchises attached.
Despite being a members club (in name only) of whom 99.999999999999999% at least are totally against it our "club" will take any opportunity to promote this shite. Similarly the tide seems to have turned against Gale and Moxon with their sympathisers becoming fewer and further between yet the "club" still keeps treating it's support like idiots dreaming up some sort of progress this season when we've in fact gone backwards in the white ball stuff and at best stagnated in the CC

It's all about FTA, TV viewing figures are crap at present. Those at the grounds a secondary issue in terms of getting kids into cricket.

Simon Hughes - who's had the ear of Graves and Harrison - said the BBC wouldn't show county on a prime channel, only franchise. So if you believe him it was a choice of county behind a paywall or part of the franchise stuff on FTA.

The fact it's 100 rather than 120 balls seems entirely of the ECB's choice.

It's all about FTA, TV viewing figures are crap at present. Those at the grounds a secondary issue in terms of getting kids into cricket.

Simon Hughes - who's had the ear of Graves and Harrison - said the BBC wouldn't show county on a prime channel, only franchise. So if you believe him it was a choice of county behind a paywall or part of the franchise stuff on FTA.

The fact it's 100 rather than 120 balls seems entirely of the ECB's choice.
Still does not answer the basic question. Kids in the north east or south west will see this on the bbc. They ask their parents to go and see the game in the grounds, but they face a 200 mile or so round trip.

That simply cannot be right, the grounds chosen are full already for the t20, no need of a new audience for them

Last edited by a moderator:
No I agre with every word you have just said, but was just making the point before T20 a lot of people on here were criticising it and calling it and are now singing the praises of it!

You can’t compare this SHITE to T20 because they’re not the same format and the biggest and most MASSIVE factor which in all of your comparison, which you seem to want to ignore is that the counties aren’t involved in this. They’re being slashed, they’re being sawn off at the hip, they will NOT be represented in this tournament. Members of those counties supposedly ‘involved’ are telling you they don’t want it.

18 Counties = 8 City Franchises

It doesn’t go.

You can’t compare this SHITE to T20 because they’re not the same format and the biggest and most MASSIVE factor which in all of your comparison, which you seem to want to ignore is that the counties aren’t involved in this. They’re being slashed, they’re being sawn off at the hip, they will NOT be represented in this tournament. Members of those counties supposedly ‘involved’ are telling you they don’t want it.

18 Counties = 8 City Franchises

It doesn’t go.

I thought I said I understood your point and agree with you, that involved with a county and supported one like yourself I would be pissed off?

So I don't want to ignore it I am seeing your point of view?

Would have been better to have T20 counties on free to air, but as a poster said earlier the telly did not want that which is a shame.

Last edited:
I thought I said I understood your point and agree with you, that involved with a county and supported one like yourself I would be pissed off?

So I don't want to ignore it I am seeing your point of view?

Would have been better to have T20 counties on free to air, but as a poster said earlier the telly did not want that which is a shame.

I thought you did too, but then you go and make reference to past criticisms of T20 being the same as current criticisms of the hundred. Implying hypocrisy at work.

You’re comparing apples with oranges and I feel it more than warrants being highlighted, that’s all.

T20 could easily be on free to air if FTECB wanted it that much. Unfortunately they don’t.

When T20 first came in there was a stipulation that teams had 70 minutes to bowl their overs and with a 10 minute break inbetween a game could be completed in 150 minutes. You can’t tell me the FTA television companies couldn’t find a slot for 2 and a half hours of elite level sport.

I thought you did too, but then you go and make reference to past criticisms of T20 being the same as current criticisms of the hundred. Implying hypocrisy at work.

You’re comparing apples with oranges and I feel it more than warrants being highlighted, that’s all.

T20 could easily be on free to air if FTECB wanted it that much. Unfortunately they don’t.

When T20 first came in there was a stipulation that teams had 70 minutes to bowl their overs and with a 10 minute break inbetween a game could be completed in 150 minutes. You can’t tell me the FTA television companies couldn’t find a slot for 2 and a half hours of elite level sport.

Yeah like I said it’s a shame that the current T20 can’t be on free to air, because as you know I have always been a massive fan of it and want to see it continue.

Whether that could have been arranged with the free to air telly, and whether not doing soo was down to the tv company themselves or the ECB ,guess we will never really know for sure.

I was more making the point that I think past criticisms of T20 were very unfair, as feel it has been a massive success and is brilliant entertainment, and that I find it very contradictory that people who have slagged T20 off in the past are now singing the praises of how good it is and how they want to promote the current T20 competition rather than the hundred and make the blast bigger and better when it seems not soo long ago the same people were slagging it off.

Last edited:
Yeah like I said it’s a shame that the current T20 can’t be on free to air, because as you know I have always been a massive fan of it and want to see it continue.

Whether that could have been arranged with the free to air telly, and whether not doing soo was down to the tv company themselves or the ECB ,guess we will never really know for sure.

I was more making the point that I think past criticisms of T20 were very unfair, as feel it has been a massive success and is brilliant entertainment, and that I find it very contradictory that people who have slagged T20 off in the past are now singing the praises of how good it is and how they want to promote the current T20 competition rather than the hundred and make the blast bigger and better when it seems not soo long ago the same people were slagging it off.

Never stopped to think that perhaps it’s the better of two evils?

The differences have been outlined to you painstakingly over the last few weeks and I’m sure I don’t need to remind you again the reasons why the hundred is a direct threat to 10 if not more of the 18 counties.

The concerns about T20 cricket over 15 years ago were valid at the time in relation to what people cared most about - some of those concerns have come to fruition and are regularly cited on here and further wide with regards to what’s going wrong with various aspects of the game.

Again, T20 and the hundred are apples and oranges and while you insist you aren’t trying to directly compare the two here and with reference to hypocrisy. I feel in this instance it appears like you’re saying the hundred might just win everyone over in the same way T20 did.

Apologies if I’ve read that wrong.

Still does not answer the basic question. Kids in the north east or south west will see this on the bbc. They ask their parents to go and see the game in the grounds, but they face a 200 mile or so round trip.

That simply cannot be right, the grounds chosen are full already for the t20, no need of a new audience for them

Doesn't matter if they go to a ground - they'll pick a bat and ball up anyway if they've seen it on TV.

Doesn't matter if they go to a ground - they'll pick a bat and ball up anyway if they've seen it on TV.
Where will they play? We used to draw chalk wicket on lampposts or walls. Kids don’t do that or it’s not allowed these days.

We go around in circles but I’m not having this 100. All counties playing yes, this franchise shite is the first step to do away with non test ground counties

Baylis gave an interview about culling a few counties, Morgan has been dismissive of the t20. It’s pretty obvious this is a path the FTECB would like to take

Never stopped to think that perhaps it’s the better of two evils?

The differences have been outlined to you painstakingly over the last few weeks and I’m sure I don’t need to remind you again the reasons why the hundred is a direct threat to 10 if not more of the 18 counties.

The concerns about T20 cricket over 15 years ago were valid at the time in relation to what people cared most about - some of those concerns have come to fruition and are regularly cited on here and further wide with regards to what’s going wrong with various aspects of the game.

Again, T20 and the hundred are apples and oranges and while you insist you aren’t trying to directly compare the two here and with reference to hypocrisy. I feel in this instance it appears like you’re saying the hundred might just win everyone over in the same way T20 did.

Apologies if I’ve read that wrong.

See that’s what I don’t understand mate, lesser of two evils!

And while I respect your opinion we miles apart on that issue.

T20 is not evil it’s bloody fanastic, highly skilful, batting, bowling and fielding, regualar close finishes and some brilliant brilliant games and entertainment with some grounds been packed out watching it.

The IPL is full of top class international cricket players playing in brilliant atmospheres in packed out grounds.

T20 has enhanced the game of cricket for me, and the some of the shots Stokes played to win the headingly test in that unforgettable innings was down to the skills he had practiced, developed and played while playing T20 cricket.

It’s not that I think ‘ the hundred’ will win people over as clear people involved with counties don’t like it, people on here don’t like it, and tbh I don’t probably like it!

However I do want to wait to see how it goes and at least see one ball bowled before crucifying it!

But yes tbf to you if I supported a county not involved would possibly have a diffrent view.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back