Money does make you happy

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date
It is, but it then saddles the kids with £30k+ debt for x number of years until it's paid off. Personally speaking, i think starting off your adult life in debt is not the way to go if possible.
I left Uni at 21 with approx £6k of debt (student loans, overdraft and credit card [who the fuck gives a student a credit card??]) which at the time (1997) was a reasonable amount of debt.
I started my adult life in debt, so being in debt became the norm - I embraced it and I added to it, living beyond my means for years because it was just normal.
It took me until I was 40 to be totally debt free (mortgage aside) and I haven't looked back - I can't help think that starting off in debt (and being wildly immature) set me on a path that I wasn't able to recover from for years.
My plan is to put both my kids through Uni and pay for the lot - they will have to get jobs to supplement their income of course, but if I can get both of them through and come out debt free the I will be happy

Yeah, I ended up in a similar situation myself, took out every loan possible including pay day ones and blackened my credit score forever.

Still on a debt management plan and will be for the foreseeable future but I'm only paying back £11 a month for the student loan on a £22k salary.

Both parents also went bankrupt and lost the house just as I was leaving so them helping out was never an option, was an odd time.

Yeah, I ended up in a similar situation myself, took out every loan possible including pay day ones and blackened my credit score forever.

Still on a debt management plan and will be for the foreseeable future but I'm only paying back £11 a month for the student loan on a £22k salary.

Both parents also went bankrupt and lost the house just as I was leaving so them helping out was never an option, was an odd time.
Keep at it mate, you'll get there eventually./

It
I started my adult life in debt, so being in debt became the norm - I embraced it and I added to it, living beyond my means for years because it was just normal.
It took me until I was 40 to be totally debt free (mortgage aside) and I haven't looked back

I have no chance if it's another nine years before my son smells the coffee if the last couple of posters is anything to go by. I probably don't know the half although he is under the title of FINANCIAL ABUSER on the landline.

Last edited:
its always been 14 grand in 18 months look it up. its the mandela effect.

I have always been middle class struggling for money but I did my own masters degree on making money and I managed to make £18000 in 18 month I bought the house of my dreams and am now struggling as sometimes the best work can be hard to find, need a level up.
Absolute f***ing knacker. :lol::lol::lol:

I'm not sure it would. Kids are in that lucky position where money isn't really that big a thing. I was out in our garden this afternoon and next door had their 2 youngest grandkids visiting just messing around practicing handstands, and making up shit games like kids do. "Right now you have to do 2 cartwheels, followed by a handstand".

Out pops Brian, the owld ex marine and says "What are you 2 up to?". "Having fun" comes back the reply. Brilliant that man, kids just being kids and having fun. What it's all about.
Kids and dogs have the right idea like. Run around doin nowt in particular, eat when they are hungry and sleep when they fancy it. The dream imo.

It's really simple:
  • Money alone can't make you happy
  • Being skint can make you unhappy
  • Being of healthy mind and body, having interests and having the freedom to do them, while having enough money and time to do them will equal happiness
Sums up nicely.
I was happiest when I was in my early twenties earning a few hundred quid in local factory and living with parents .Played football 7 days a week and not a care in the world . Fittest I ever have been.
Now at 50 I’ve all but retired , got a great family and life’s great, however if I had a hot tub time machine I would be tempted to go back for a little while

Back