Money does make you happy

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date

Sound alreet to me, where do I sign up?
Just give yourself 2 years to make as much money as you can, any savings has to be put into a separate bank account. Not an isa.

Did you live at your mams?
yes

Nope, I know all about bitcoin and my advice is avoid it.

So has this mythical £18000 now become £14000?

Not a lot for selling your arse is it.
its always been 14 grand in 18 months look it up. its the mandela effect.

Last edited by a moderator:
Best investment you can ever do is in your kids :)
My kid is 31 year old and I am still investing because he doesn't show the slightest signs of basic maths let alone financial management which incorporates the word budgeting. His failure to implement income outstripping outgoings will result in any inheritance such as a house being donated to the equity release company instead of himself. The results of this will also be homelessness in his case when I depart the planet. Now living like a pauper to subsidize his lifestyle won't be happening as investing in your kids has its limits and as a pensioner I do budget accordingly. When I was 31 you knew where you stood because mortgage was the only commodity available as far as borrowing went and if you couldn't meet the criteria you didn't get one. It is tough for some generations but if you don't learn the basics quickly it will be a tough ask when the bank of Mum and Dad disappears.

My kid is 31 year old and I am still investing because he doesn't show the slightest signs of basic maths let alone financial management which incorporates the word budgeting. His failure to implement income outstripping outgoings will result in any inheritance such as a house being donated to the equity release company instead of himself. The results of this will also be homelessness in his case when I depart the planet. Now living like a pauper to subsidize his lifestyle won't be happening as investing in your kids has its limits and as a pensioner I do budget accordingly. When I was 31 you knew where you stood because mortgage was the only commodity available as far as borrowing went and if you couldn't meet the criteria you didn't get one. It is tough for some generations but if you don't learn the basics quickly it will be a tough ask when the bank of Mum and Dad disappears.
Sorry to hear that mate,when I said investment I was thinking of financing them through uni,one of mines 5 years into his degree and we can see light at the end of the tunnel,been a long hard expensive slog but I am certain it will pay dividends.

Sorry to hear that mate,when I said investment I was thinking of financing them through uni,one of mines 5 years into his degree and we can see light at the end of the tunnel,been a long hard expensive slog but I am certain it will pay dividends.
Yes I can understand where you are coming from, my son got his degree and his prospects were good. Being young with a degree and qualifications to meet criteria in a competitive industry proved daunting and smoking and drinking becomes the norm which is an expensive lifestyle. In his case he changed career which pays less and I don't think if he is honest he is underachieving now. However he is at a crossroads and only he can decide, but at what stage of life he will come to terms of being financially independent is anybody's guess. He unfortunately doesn't realize how much he stands to lose.

Yes I can understand where you are coming from, my son got his degree and his prospects were good. Being young with a degree and qualifications to meet criteria in a competitive industry proved daunting and smoking and drinking becomes the norm which is an expensive lifestyle. In his case he changed career which pays less and I don't think if he is honest he is underachieving now. However he is at a crossroads and only he can decide, but at what stage of life he will come to terms of being financially independent is anybody's guess. He unfortunately doesn't realize how much he stands to lose.
So who do you blame for your son’s lack of ability to assimilate basic responsibility and financial nouse?

So who do you blame for your son’s lack of ability to assimilate basic responsibility and financial nouse?
Good question. Circumstances didn't help when I worked away from home in his primary and part of his senior school years, and having an older brother with high support needs resulted him being left to his own devices without being neglected. Leaving for university at 17 was probably too young to meet the big bad world where credit is to easy to come by, but he got his degree and with it a job with responsibility. However even if you have financial responsibility to yourself, alcohol and smoking are expensive habits which can ruin budgets as well as health if abused. I would have financial problems if I blew £70 a week on fags so times that by 12 year and that's a nest egg gone up in smoke right there. No, I was harsh saying he has no financial understanding, but his lifestyle isn't sustainable, his health will tell him that when it's too late.

Does financing through uni mean paying tuition fees?

Tuition fees were free in Scotland when my son took his degree, that may not be the case now mind. An example of financial priorities is a simple choice at times. Take an example of either putting money in the meter and paying your mobile phone bill or having 20 fags and a bottle of Buckfast. Now having a son who has made this choice dozens of times, is it little wonder we have little contact as he makes the incorrect decision without fail, although I do enjoy the peace and quiet of a silent phone.

Tuition fees were free in Scotland when my son took his degree, that may not be the case now mind. An example of financial priorities is a simple choice at times. Take an example of either putting money in the meter and paying your mobile phone bill or having 20 fags and a bottle of Buckfast. Now having a son who has made this choice dozens of times, is it little wonder we have little contact as he makes the incorrect decision without fail, although I do enjoy the peace and quiet of a silent phone.
Tough to take that as a parent. So if he's been wasting money on mobiles and electric shit who's been buying his fags ?

Must be hard mate,i have one kid who is a lazy fuck,dropped out of one degree for a far easier one,generally takes the piss,my other kids studying medicine and as he says when I ask him how its going "I am there dad,i am there" smart as a blade and I have no worries about his future,doesnt smoke,doesnt drink,self motivated in his studies.Its the lazy fucker I worry about as he is going nowhere unless he sharpens the fuck up,but he thinks he knows it all.

Fair play, but isn't the student loan a better deal than stumping up for it all up front?
It is, but it then saddles the kids with £30k+ debt for x number of years until it's paid off. Personally speaking, i think starting off your adult life in debt is not the way to go if possible.
I left Uni at 21 with approx £6k of debt (student loans, overdraft and credit card [who the fuck gives a student a credit card??]) which at the time (1997) was a reasonable amount of debt.
I started my adult life in debt, so being in debt became the norm - I embraced it and I added to it, living beyond my means for years because it was just normal.
It took me until I was 40 to be totally debt free (mortgage aside) and I haven't looked back - I can't help think that starting off in debt (and being wildly immature) set me on a path that I wasn't able to recover from for years.
My plan is to put both my kids through Uni and pay for the lot - they will have to get jobs to supplement their income of course, but if I can get both of them through and come out debt free the I will be happy

My plan is to put both my kids through Uni and pay for the lot ………………………….. debt free
That's what I am currently doing,my parents were up to their necks in debt,as a kid I used to have to tell the rent man no-one was at home except me on a regular basis,havent had a debt in my life apart from a mortgage,i don't wasn't my kids starting out in debt.

Back