Money does make you happy

• Thread starter Deleted member 40035
  • Start date

Certainly more money helps and probably would make majority of people happier , personally would make me happier as I would have more enjoyment giving family and friends a helping hand when times are hard

A nice cheque for about 150k wouldn't half make me smile mind.

What? :lol:

Long time no see by the way.

Its true - they did studies on income and self reported happiness and this was 20+ yrs ago and in the UK peak happiness was around 40,000 household income. For those on mega wages it starts to go down presumably for the sacrifices needed to earn that money

I earn more now than I ever have and my happiest time was probably when my kids were little and I earned much less then. Also the biggest pleasure earning more has given me is helping out my kids so they can get onto the housing ladder so not even spending it on myself

Its true - they did studies on income and self reported happiness and this was 20+ yrs ago and in the UK peak happiness was around 40,000 household income. For those on mega wages it starts to go down presumably for the sacrifices needed to earn that money

I earn more now than I ever have and my happiest time was probably when my kids were little and I earned much less then. Also the biggest pleasure earning more has given me is helping out my kids so they can get onto the housing ladder so not even spending it on myself
The complexity that comes with money is a right faff. I was much happier earning materially less and not giving so much of a shit.

Money won’t necessarily make you happier , but the flip side , having very little money and/or money problems is likely to
Make you unhappy

Dire joke

Straight to the point though.
Money won’t necessarily make you happier , but the flip side , having very little money and/or money problems is likely to
Make you unhappy

Dire joke

If you are on the poverty line then money would be everything.

Last edited:

But is that income based on having to go to work? That £40k 20 years back is likely to be double that now, but there's a big difference to say earning £150k from investments & being able to enjoy it, and having to goto work in a job thats really stressful for half that. I've often made the point that in the NE you can have a decent lifestyle on a modest income due to the low house prices. Also that I could earn a lot more in London but my life wouldn't be better as I'd go from a nice family sized house with no work commute to either a small flat with little commute or a family house with a big commute from the commuter belt. And I wouldn't have any more money as the extra earned would go straight on the mortgage that I wouldn't be paying in the NE.

Monkeytassle earns a fortune but revealed on here that he gets up about 3.30 in the morning for work & doesn't finish until 5.30pm. So probably doesnt get home until 6.30 - 7pm I seriously couldn't be arsed with that even if you trebled my wage.

But is that income based on having to go to work? That £40k 20 years back is likely to be double that now, but there's a big difference to say earning £150k from investments & being able to enjoy it, and having to goto work in a job thats really stressful for half that. I've often made the point that in the NE you can have a decent lifestyle on a modest income due to the low house prices. Also that I could earn a lot more in London but my life wouldn't be better as I'd go from a nice family sized house with no work commute to either a small flat with little commute or a family house with a big commute from the commuter belt. And I wouldn't have any more money as the extra earned would go straight on the mortgage that I wouldn't be paying in the NE.

Monkeytassle earns a fortune but revealed on here that he gets up about 3.30 in the morning for work & doesn't finish until 5.30pm. So probably doesnt get home until 6.30 - 7pm I seriously couldn't be arsed with that even if you trebled my wage.

I think it was on people in work rather than passive income.

Im pretty fortunate as I enjoy my job largely and am in total control of hours I work and time off. Mind the plan still is to set myself a retirement income figure and stop as soon as I hit that mark

Back