Mental Health - positive things to do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apologies if posted by seen this link to the BFI webpage, free 14 day trial to watch movies then £4.99 per month, might be some more obscure stuff that some might enjoy

On a similar note, this is free. Britain on film | BFI Player

It has mainly archive footage from around the UK, searchable on a map.

Just been watching some clips of the lads versus Swansea from 1962

So far made cherry cake, biscuits and muffins. Currently browsing books for a carrot cake recipe I can make for tomorrow. My daughter will drop off shopping and I will drop off cake! This way I get to bake which I enjoy without putting on a couple of stones. I keep a couple of slices and my daughter and her family eat the rest.

I've found a recipe for millionaires shortbread but I was worried about the 2 stone I'd put on. 😏 Turns out you can freeze it although it may go a bit crumbly so it's on my to do list.
I did some baking this afternoon. It's ages since I've done some and it was very therapeutic 😎

Was that the pink slice? Not sure what it's made of but it looked lush. 👍

Was that the pink slice? Not sure what it's made of but it looked lush. 👍

Yes! It's similar to shortbread but has egg yolk and baking powder in so it's more soft and cake like.

I used this recipe if you want to have a go:

We’ve got two birthdays in the house in the next few days so I’m cake making for both of them .
I have got some bread flour and yeast in the cupboard so I’m going to make some bread , all that pummelling the dough should be good for stress ! Pink slice is also on my to do list .

Logon or register to see this image

My newest art piece done (the crazy heart), had got the clay out but think I'm going to need some wire to make a structure otherwise it'll end up collapsing.
Hope everyone is holding up okay xx

You are so creative! I love both pieces as they are both so bright and uplifting. ♥️
Yes! It's similar to shortbread but has egg yolk and baking powder in so it's more soft and cake like.

I used this recipe if you want to have a go:

By the time I'm let out again, I'm going to be a weeble! 😁

Last edited:
So far made cherry cake, biscuits and muffins. Currently browsing books for a carrot cake recipe I can make for tomorrow. My daughter will drop off shopping and I will drop off cake! This way I get to bake which I enjoy without putting on a couple of stones. I keep a couple of slices and my daughter and her family eat the rest.
Delia’s is excellent. Available for free on her website.

Delia’s is excellent. Available for free on her website.
I use her recipe ( I own most of her books including the cake one) but prefer whole cherries and quite a lot more than she says but that’s because I always liked the M&S cherry cake with whole cherries. Still find they’re inclined to sink but there are so many they struggle to do so! It’s a family favourite. I used Mary Berry’s recipe for American Spiced Carrot Cake this week which worked very well. Didn’t bother frosting it - trying to watch my weight - and it keeps well. It’s available here

I use her recipe ( I own most of her books including the cake one) but prefer whole cherries and quite a lot more than she says but that’s because I always liked the M&S cherry cake with whole cherries. Still find they’re inclined to sink but there are so many they struggle to do so! It’s a family favourite. I used Mary Berry’s recipe for American Spiced Carrot Cake this week which worked very well. Didn’t bother frosting it - trying to watch my weight - and it keeps well. It’s available here

If you keep a spoonful of the flour back and coat the cherries in flour and then mix them in, it stops them sinking. My Great Nana taught me that 😁

If you keep a spoonful of the flour back and coat the cherries in flour and then mix them in, it stops them sinking. My Great Nana taught me that 😁
I have tried that, also tossing them in the ground almonds, washing and drying them etc. I think whole cherries are maybe just a bit big or something? When I’ve accidentally bought halves they don’t seem to sink in the same way. It doesn’t happen every time to the same degree either even though I always use the same recipe. I really like Aldi glacé cherries too. They’re cheaper and that really nice dark red colour.

I discovered to my delight that the wild flower growing in front of our house is called garlic mustard. It’s related to mustard but not garlic - but when you crush a leaf it smells of garlic. It can be used in salads, pesto and to make sauces for meat. Nature is one of the things keeping me sane at the moment.

Also a woman in the next but one street has started a growing club. She’s put a table up in her drive and you can go and leave spare seeds and seedlings and pick stuff up. She’s also started a Pumpkin Pledge. If you join you can pick up a pumpkin seed and we’ve all promised that at Halloween, when all this is over, we’ll meet up with our carved pumpkins. These are people I didn’t know two weeks ago and have never met. This wonderful feeling of neighbourhood solidarity is fantastic and something I hope we never lose.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have tried that, also tossing them in the ground almonds, washing and drying them etc. I think whole cherries are maybe just a bit big or something? When I’ve accidentally bought halves they don’t seem to sink in the same way. It doesn’t happen every time to the same degree either even though I always use the same recipe. I really like Aldi glacé cherries too. They’re cheaper and that really nice dark red colour.

I tell my other half I've made the cake deliberately with the cherries at the bottom so if you start at the top your last mouthful is mainly delicious cherries. 😁
Reet, here's me vase....

It was really hard, happy with the result though and it looks nice enough ♥

That's fabulous, its really colourful and the sayings swirling around it are very apt at this time. 👍

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back