Mental Health - general discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It’s honestly best if she stays off Facebook mate. The truth tends to get lost in a sea of bullshit.

Im in a very similar position mate.

I’m know it’s hard, but you need to find a way to switch off. I now limit the news coverage in the house and avoid the car crash that is social media.

I do worry about some folks mental health after this is done though. Even on here you can see people have crossed the line and it’s now an unhealthy obsession.

Thankfully I don’t do Facebook, but you’re absolutely right that it will once again be doing more harm than good.

It is challenging to say the least, but we can only hope this is over sooner rather than later without any substantial damage to ourselves, loved ones and our livelihoods.

It makes me wonder.

All the focus of late on mental health. People citing depression and anxiety when there isnt actually anything wrong with their lives... its just the way they happen to feel and they cant help it.

I feel its a perverse act of god that for once in a generation, modern society now legitimately DOES have something thats a massive threat that we really are anxious and depressed about...

Struggling a bit at the minute. Having to work despite promises of being able to work from home. No football which is my main respite from the craziness of family life which is even more intense with everyone on top of each other.

Had counselling for some small issues about a year ago. Mainly just work related stress.

Had to isolate for last 7 days and first day at work today.

I’ve been openly critical of my employer on here, however upon going back they’re doing everything they can. Very fortunate to be in the position I’m in. Me nan is self isolating thank God. Everyone at work is adhering to the hand washing and distancing.

The main thing I’d been struggling with over the last few weeks is this virus has been removing but by bit things that I enjoyed.

Watching and playing football, the pub, being outside in general...

It’s put in perspective for me what’s really important, my family, friends etc.

I feel pretty much as good as can be expected now. Going to work as much as possible, exercise when I can. I have managed to procure 4 cans for Saturday...

Hope everyone on here stays safe

Bit of a wobble this morning.

I was going to take the 3rd of April off work. It's my parents wedding anniversary. I was going to take my Mam up to Stanhope and we were going to plant wild flower seeds around my Dad's bench. They'll provide a mass of colour through the summer and be good for the bees and butterflies. Dad loved flowers. I can't do that now.

I'd promised my daughter to take her and a couple of friends out for her birthday in May. Just bowling and a bite to eat or something like that. I feel awful that her birthday is going to be stuck in the house with just me and her older brother. No party or family celebration.

I'm not allowed visitors. I can't see my Mam and I miss her and I can't see my younger son as he's still working among the general public so he's too high risk to be in contact with me. He's really struggling with this and so am I.

It's sunny and the dogs are pestering me to take them for a walk. I love being outside. I'm used to walking them every day, plus I'm out and about for work and I go running often. Can't go outside at all now and it's frustrating.

It's hard :cry:

Stay safe and strong. Been busy today. Original plan was to put a new felt on the summer house. Whilst on the ladder spotted the holy grail, a fence post hidden behind it by the builders 3 years ago. Used that and a fence post spike to repair the fence, damaged by the storms a few weeks ago. Needs replacing, but secure. Proper family effort. Also taught daughter number 1 how to position a car seat and mirrors, moving off and stopping and reversing into a bay. We never left the car and went to empty private land. She got the bay first attempt. Proud dad. Knackered dad.

Stay safe and strong. Been busy today. Original plan was to put a new felt on the summer house. Whilst on the ladder spotted the holy grail, a fence post hidden behind it by the builders 3 years ago. Used that and a fence post spike to repair the fence, damaged by the storms a few weeks ago. Needs replacing, but secure. Proper family effort. Also taught daughter number 1 how to position a car seat and mirrors, moving off and stopping and reversing into a bay. We never left the car and went to empty private land. She got the bay first attempt. Proud dad. Knackered dad.

That sounds like a canny day :cool:

I'm still struggling :cry:

This might sound daft, but had no plans today. Just found jobs as I mooched about. It sort of just happened. Tomorrow is shed tidy day, and that will take all day. Repair to be done to it as well,but why not? It's a challenge and good for well being. Nowt better than a win.

Really sorry to hear that. At least you know you’re not stressing over nothing. This really is an unprecedented situation for us all. It takes a lot of getting used to and normally we have more time to adjust to change. You have every reason to feel unsettled and your situation is more restricted than many. It isn’t forever and it will get easier. Try to make some sort of routine and keep busy. I know you’re very restricted in what you can do but perhaps there’s something you’ve always fancied trying or learning and now you’ve got the time to try it? It’s not often you get 12 weeks of free time so see if there’s something you can do so that when it’s over you’ve got something positive out of the experience. Easier said than done I know but we have little choice in the matter. My family have banned me from going to the shops. It’s amazing how not being able to do things really makes you long to do them. Yearning for a trip to Sainsbury’s is not something I expected. By the end of 12 weeks I expect it will seem strange to get in the car and go somewhere though I will need to go for a blood test in a few weeks - not usually something I look forward to but it will be an outing! However I’m hoping I’ll have new curtain poles and curtains in my living room and bedrooms which will be a big positive for me and a shed full of stuff to go to the tip when it finally reopens! Small victories.

I’m going to have to get out of the house today like , 2 hrs out since the 4th has finally hit me and I woke up in the early hours having a panic attack - not sure if something I’d been dreaming of set me off but took ages to calm my mind and breathing. I’ve had social anxiety / acrophobic traits for a while so I really need to push myself anyway.

Least I am still able to work from home and have a degree of contact with my team but it’s not the same

Last edited:
I’m going to have to get out of the house today like , 2 hrs out since the 4th has finally hit me and I woke up in the early hours having a panic attack - not sure if something I’d been dreaming of set me off but took ages to calm my mind and breathing. I’ve had social anxiety / acrophobic traits for a while so I really need to push myself anyway.

Least I am still able to work from home and have a degree of contact with my team but it’s not the same

Sounds horrendous. Ive been sleeping like a baby until I wake up at around 6-7am the addrenalin kicks in.. and I feel rubbish. Not nice.

Struggling with having to stop in as I'm usually out and about all day. Everything I usually enjoy has gone - can't walk the dogs, can't go for a run, no football and the gym is closed. Even miss my job.

Not allowed any visitors. My younger son lives out and is still working in retail so he's too high risk. Hurts like hell not being allowed to see him. Missing my Mam as well as I usually see her regularly too.

Bob has lymphoma and is on end of life care. He's the best dog I've ever had.

Busy dealing with something that is complicated and stressful but has been put on hold indefinitely due to the current climate.

Worried about finances as I'm not working and seem to have fallen through the cracks with the help that has been announced.

I had a reserved slot with Ocado so I thought I would be ok for food shopping. They have decided to suspend the reserved scheme, so now I've lost my slot and none of the other online supermarkets have any free slots. Can send the bairn to the corner shop for food but it has a limited selection and costs a fortune.

My eldest is really bad with his mental health. I have to pretend to be happy in the house as I don't want to worry him.

I haven't slept properly for days and my crohns is kicking off as I'm chewed to bits.

Last edited by a moderator:
Struggling with having to stop in as I'm usually out and about all day. Everything I usually enjoy has gone - can't walk the dogs, can't go for a run, no football and the gym is closed. Even miss my job.

Not allowed any visitors. My younger son lives out and is still working in retail so he's too high risk. Hurts like hell not being allowed to see him. Missing my Mam as well as I usually see her regularly too.

Bob has lymphoma and is on end of life care. He's the best dog I've ever had.

Busy dealing with something that is complicated and stressful but has been put on hold indefinitely due to the current climate.

Worried about finances as I'm not working and seem to have fallen through the cracks with the help that has been announced.

I had a reserved slot with Ocado so I thought I would be ok for food shopping. They have decided to suspend the reserved scheme, so now I've lost my slot and none of the other online supermarkets have any free slots. Can send the bairn to the corner shop for food but it has a limited selection and costs a fortune.

My eldest is really bad with his mental health. I have to pretend to be happy in the house as I don't want to worry him.

I haven't slept properly for days and my crohns is kicking off as I'm chewed to bits.
Why can't you walk the dogs

I am wondering if this prolonged lockdown is going to produce a lot more alcoholics and increase alcohol consumption.

People have literally nothing else to do but to drink at home and the social inhibitors that control drinking for some people (such as work) are gone.

I am wondering if this prolonged lockdown is going to produce a lot more alcoholics and increase alcohol consumption.

People have literally nothing else to do but to drink at home and the social inhibitors that control drinking for some people (such as work) are gone.

Absolutely. Alcoholism, domestic violence, gambling etc will all go through the roof

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back