Mental Health - general discussion

Wasnt going to post anything but fuck it I’ve Had a bit of a bad day today.

My missus is really struggling to cope with this lockdown. Her and her group of mates don’t usually go more than two or three days without meeting up (Irish ex pats thing probably)

She has been wanting to move back home for a while but this has really pushed over the edge. Tears and taking it out on me all day.

on top of that little miss mcq10 no1 is only 5 and is very emotional at the minute about the fact she can’t go to school. Can’t explain why she isn’t going to school tomorrow either in a way she understands.

On a personal/selfish level I’m properly fucked off that after 20 years of egg chasing I’m going to miss the retirement match. Missed most of the season anyway due to injuries but would have liked to have had one last game.

I logged on to Asda a couple of hours ago and managed to get a slot for a week tomorrow, I nearly fell off the chair I was so surprised to get one ! A couple of posters on here have mentioned that random slots keep popping up and also if you log on during the night you can get lucky . I’ve also found a few places that deliver fruit and veg , bread and meat through local Facebook groups
Hopefully while people actually have to start eating all that hoarded food it will give other people a chance .
I’m so sorry to hear about Bob , he sounds such a lovely dog xxx
I
This. Was checking slots this morning for my parents. Sainsbury's randomly opened up tomorrow for Click and Collect only. Guess it's a case of just randomly trying various sites on various days

My missus is really struggling to cope with this lockdown. Her and her group of mates don’t usually go more than two or three days without meeting up (Irish ex pats thing probably)

She has been wanting to move back home for a while but this has really pushed over the edge. Tears and taking it out on me all day.

on top of that little miss mcq10 no1 is only 5 and is very emotional at the minute about the fact she can’t go to school. Can’t explain why she isn’t going to school tomorrow either in a way she understands.

On a personal/selfish level I’m properly fucked off that after 20 years of egg chasing I’m going to miss the retirement match. Missed most of the season anyway due to injuries but would have liked to have had one last game.
It's tough mate. Am finding it comes and goes for me and my family. Today has been quite "normal" - first proper day of work albeit from home) in 3 weeks and a sense of normality has gone down quite well, Finding it hard with the kids - my 12yo basically lives outside with a football, so it's hard to clip his wings like this. Even having to keep him distanced from his mate over the back when they try to chat/play footy. Found the weekend tough as it 48 hours of staring at the TV/Computer Screen.

Just got to take it day by day mate. Try and get through today without any more tears. See what the morning brings

Last edited:

I'm in the same boat. I had to tell her to fuck off out of the house earlier. The situation was going to explode. I'm not sure we'll survive the week let alone the rest of the lockdown.

This is good, written by someone familiar with living through war, epidemics etc.

Basically- learn how to live in the now, don't try and live like things are normal when they arent or like they will go back to how they were before when they wont, dont beat yourself up for being scared or angry at upset.

The quicker you accept what's happening as reality rather than an aberration or something that will just blow over, the quicker you personally will actually learn how to carry on and function as you did before.

Is it wrong to be ignoring it?
I started off forcing myself to not read about it for a few hours. Then it became for a day. Now I've managed four days without looking at the news or even opening threads down this page.
The result has been less worrying I've got it, and sort of just living a little boring life that I feel I can cope with for a while longer. It's odd but a lot less stressful.

I started off forcing myself to not read about it for a few hours. Then it became for a day. Now I've managed four days without looking at the news or even opening threads down this page.
The result has been less worrying I've got it, and sort of just living a little boring life that I feel I can cope with for a while longer. It's odd but a lot less stressful.

It's probably for the best. The news are absolutely hysterical and you don't really gain any useful information. I think I'm going to take this tip on board and stop watching it.

That's what I have been doing, only have the odd look on here now and again now. Totally avoiding the news on telly, newspapers etc, feel much better for it.

I am finding it hard being at home and not in the office. I like my routines and my work day is an important one for me so being at home and not having that takes its toll. They let me go in the week before last as the only one but someone else popped in and had the virus so now its deep cleaned and closed.

I'm starting to feel like I've had enough already. Long days, work is giving us very repetitive work to do and it's just hard to get motivated to do it. Other stresses on like just adding to it, plus not being able to go and see my parents etc.

Months of this to come :cry:

Think it's a balance between avoiding constant speculation and reaction (Media) but being honest about the fact that things are different and that it will affect you and working within those constraints.

If you try fo ignore reality for several months you'll go mad.

I think there’s something to be said for it. I’m trying to follow people who speak truthful positives. For instance, check out Professor Karol Sikora on Twitter.

The general press are general hysterical and doom laden. Definitely best avoided if you’re feeling down

you can have your retirement match when this over pal. Your missus is obviously taking this quite hard and understandably so. My missus is a massively social person as well. Both in her job and her spare time. Everything she does is people focussed. She’s embraced the old FaceTime/zoom/WhatsApp Video stuff in the last few days though and is having a great time catching up with old friends and sharing a drink and a chat. It’s no different in Ireland. We both have family there and it’s exactly the same

Seriously considering asking for unpaid leave at work. Lockdown is bad enough but the thought of doing an absolutely pointless mundane job all day every day st home is killing me like.

Seriously considering asking for unpaid leave at work. Lockdown is bad enough but the thought of doing an absolutely pointless mundane job all day every day st home is killing me like.
Why not just cut your hours in half? Could just start work at 9, stop at 11, 2 hours to yourself, back on at 1, clock off at 3, then the rest of the day is yours.

Why not just cut your hours in half? Could just start work at 9, stop at 11, 2 hours to yourself, back on at 1, clock off at 3, then the rest of the day is yours.
They're requesting we're doing half 8 till half 5 and can track laptops etc :lol:

Well here is my two pennorth. As is widely known on this board I am a very heavy drinker. I have been controlling it by not drinking when I have to go to work, but as of 24th March I got the bullet by my US employer as they cleverly worked out that me being an international employee meant that they don't have to give me severance pay after 11 years unblemished service. Since then, I have gone over the top to the point when I had a 'whitey' and my wife called other family members down to try and calm me despite the lockdown. I have had a long talk with my doctor on the phone this morning, and he agrees we have a big problem but he is here to help (lovely bloke). He advised me NOT to stop drinking, but cut it back by 2 or 3 beers a day until maybe next week some medication might work. What my wife took from this was 'Right, have no drink until Friday, and we will have a few then' - completely missing the point. I am on beer 7 today and f***ing sick of this.

Back