Memories of QPR at home

3-0 at RP in 84/85. A blatant handball by David Hodgson in his own penalty area had John Gregory chasing the ref all over the pitch. To make matters worse for them Hodgson went on to score a great goal in the Fulwell End.
Same season when the mags were beating them 0-5 at half time then QPR brought it back to a draw. We were at home and I remember laughing as we left the Roker End at full time.

The 2-2 Good Friday match in 1998. Pissed down all day and we blew two vital points.

1-0 win at the start of the next season. Clark broke his leg.
After the cup final 73.

The lads were hung over/ exhausted.

People running on the pitch.

3- 0 to QPR.

We were lucky to get nil. This was the burgeoning fabulous team of Gordon Jago which would go on to almost win the first division title: Bowled, Givens, Francis, Thomas et al.

FA Cup on a table at the mouth of the tunnel. The game was a dead rubber, but we welcomed the Lads home with the cup.

When will it happen again?

Did we sell Hodgson to Liverpool? I know I could Google but I’m just interested whether he was seen as genuinely good enough for them.
Did we not get him from Liverpool and sell him to boro, can’t remember and sure someone will put me right. Always thought he had class, but like most back then, loved the ale.
Just checked, got him from Liverpool, sold him to Norwich.

Last edited:
We weren’t skint though. Quinn was not that far from the end and Dichio was a bit crap. We could certainly have used Bridges in our squad. Maybe even sold Phillips for daft money a couple of years after promotion (didn’t Villa bid £30 million or something daft?).

Had on though, these days I always hear “the FA Cup should be the final domestic game of the season, like it always was”. What happened in 1973? Was it because we were Division 2 so had extra games? Or a fixture backlog?
I think other clubs had finished except those that needed to play us. Maybe our three replays in the early rounds made us get behind. Besides, other clubs would be playing matches when we played 5th, 6th and semi-final matches.

Been to yours 3 times
A 1-0 win in 91 at the old roker park, it was cold , damp and a terrible game

The 2-2 when we had all four seasons of weather in 90 minutes

another 2-2 in 04 I think, Paul Furlong scored a screamer for us , loverly hot summers day

We weren’t skint though. Quinn was not that far from the end and Dichio was a bit crap. We could certainly have used Bridges in our squad. Maybe even sold Phillips for daft money a couple of years after promotion (didn’t Villa bid £30 million or something daft?).

Had on though, these days I always hear “the FA Cup should be the final domestic game of the season, like it always was”. What happened in 1973? Was it because we were Division 2 so had extra games? Or a fixture backlog?
Back log. We played on the Monday of cup final week and then the Monday and Wednesday afterwards.

As well as games being postponed because of the cup run, the players had flu over Xmas and another 3 games were postponed
3-0 in the 79/80 promotion season. If memory serves me right they borrowed our (blue) 2nd strip for some reason
The ref thought too much white on both home strips and they hadn’t packed an away kit - which might well have had red in it

Last edited:
Did we sell Hodgson to Liverpool? I know I could Google but I’m just interested whether he was seen as genuinely good enough for them.
We bought him from Liverpool but he never recaptured the form of his early days at Boro
1976-77 season, only thing doug collins ever did, great cross for bob lee to score with far post header in fulwell for 1 nil win.
a corner iirc

Remember a couple of wins in the late 70's at roker park ,standing in the paddocks,Tommy Docherty was in charge for qpr in his second spell as manager in one of them ,we won one 1-0 and the other 3-0 ,the 1-0 was around april a really warm day ,they had a big centre half called,Bob Hazell playing for them ,and a Young Glenn Roeder and Clive Allen just breaking into the team,Tommy Docherty got sacked not long after and that gave a certain young Terry Venables is chance.

Last edited:

Back