McMafia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not for me. It was extremely slow moving. Others obviously enjoyed it but I'm pleased it has finished. I do think that the end seemed to be setting up a second series but I won't be watching it.

No. I managed four episodes and gave up. It's so contrived it borders on the ridiculous.

Think i'll give it a miss then, cheers.

I'm always sceptical with these new shows, especially on the BBC.
The Night Manager & Taboo started off quite promising but i thought both were fairly average in the end

Well you'll either enjoy it, like some of us, or think it's incredibly slow. It lost a lot of viewers, but those of us who stuck with it were rewarded with a tense and satisfying final episode.

I thought the final two episodes were excellent as, to be honest, were the first two. It drifted a bit at times in the middle. Maybe 6 episodes instead of eight could have made it a bit punchier? Good though... good enough to keep me watching on catch up without feeling it's a bit of a chore. I watched Vera and latterly Endeavour as broadcast once Call the Midwife became the BBC's 8pm Sunday thing.

Well you'll either enjoy it, like some of us, or think it's incredibly slow. It lost a lot of viewers, but those of us who stuck with it were rewarded with a tense and satisfying final episode.
There was definitely a pattern throughout where the plots were being defined, characters developed (albeit slowly), then a crescendo finale to each episode which smacked you between the eyes wanting more. It's not a wham! bam! all action thriller.

Glad I stuck with it. Enjoyed the last 3 episodes and the last episode was excellent

I thought the final two episodes were excellent as, to be honest, were the first two. It drifted a bit at times in the middle. Maybe 6 episodes instead of eight could have made it a bit punchier? Good though... good enough to keep me watching on catch up without feeling it's a bit of a chore. I watched Vera and latterly Endeavour as broadcast once Call the Midwife became the BBC's 8pm Sunday thing.

They could have taken out the episode that was built around the Indian hacker

Its abit like the walking dead where if you watch them all together it will be better than watching them standalone on a weekly basis

Last edited by a moderator:
That's the main thing I was thinking about TBH...

Was obviously showing you them shifting power away from Vadim but you didn't see any of the blokes again from that episode.

Could have just been one scene where there's a phone call to Alex saying 'it's done'

Was obviously showing you them shifting power away from Vadim but you didn't see any of the blokes again from that episode.

Could have just been one scene where there's a phone call to Alex saying 'it's done'

To be honest , I quite liked that one.
I thought the best episodes were the ones where the Indian or Russian actors had the biggest parts. They acted the socks of the brits.

All in all, I enjoyed it. If there’s a second series i’ll Be watching. Certainly no breaking bad or narcos but better than most the British attempts at serial drama.

To be honest , I quite liked that one.
I thought the best episodes were the ones where the Indian or Russian actors had the biggest parts. They acted the socks of the brits.

All in all, I enjoyed it. If there’s a second series i’ll Be watching. Certainly no breaking bad or narcos but better than most the British attempts at serial drama.

Yeah I enjoyed it too. Just didn't see the characters again from that point so could have been cut down

thought it was canny but nothing special, bit slow at times , agree that there def be a 2nd series now , the bloke who played Vadim will be a miss though, played the best part IMO

wasn't even as good as the equally overhyped night manager piffle from last year imo. norton's too wooden to carry this kind of vehicle imo.

I think that's just the way the whole series went. Everything was at a snail's pace and they stopped to consider every possible option before speaking or doing anything. He'd probably just forgotten where he was like some sort of dimwit.
Not the worst thing I've watched but could have been so much more. Compared to Gomorrah that really knew how to add tension, deal with family difficulties and have proper well thought out twists and turns, McMafia seemed like an episode of Jackanory.
At least it wasn't the absolute drivel that was The Night Manager.

BBC prestige dramas don't do pace. Obviously ITV dramas make them look like Speedy Gonzales on fast forward, but they do trundle a bit. And it's not really like classic box set series which can be riveting as a story slowly unfolds, it's just ponderous

I thought the first episode was excellent and was immediately hooked.
It never filled its early promise though.
Still okay enough, but thought it would be a lot better.

All things considered, dreadfully slow, poor choice of cast but better than the Night Manager*.

*There isn’t a lot which is not.

Series 2, if it is being considered will take 4 years to materialise if the pace of Series 1 is anything to go by.

Well I thought it was very good. It kept my interest throughout. The main man never moved a muscle on his face but I thought his deadpan performance, sort of, worked. He kept his cards close to his chest at all times.

Don't watch much but I enjoyed it.

Well I thought it was very good. It kept my interest throughout. The main man never moved a muscle on his face but I thought his deadpan performance, sort of, worked. He kept his cards close to his chest at all times.

Don't watch much but I enjoyed it.
Exactly what I said about his performance. He didn't say a lot but I think he captured the struggle in his facial expressions, which were minimal, but that worked for me. He was self contained, especially in the final scene.

Exactly what I said about his performance. He didn't say a lot but I think he captured the struggle in his facial expressions, which were minimal, but that worked for me. He was self contained, especially in the final scene.
I thought that was the whole point about him. Very calm, the scene in the airport with Vadim was very good.

Finally caught up with the final two episodes via iPlayer. Decent by recent tv standards, quite like James Norton in this too... could have done with being a bit more concise as I drifted in & out of a few of the episodes - decent ending though. Was hoping it was going to be a one off though, not sure I’ve got the stamina for a second series.

What’s the general consensus on why he fucked over the Mexican who’d played along with the girlfriend charade right at the very end? Unless I’m mistaken, he didn’t buck norton’s lass when he was away in Israel?

especially in the final scene.
I was confused, what do you think his face said about the phone call?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back