McDonalds Wessington way parking 1hr limit £60 fine !

Pretty sure its a shared carpark and controlled due to location to the SOL
The moment McDonalds tell you the car park is nothing to do with them they are going down the wrong route.

When the franchisee applied for planning permission to build a restaurant for eating in, take away and walk ins they needed sufficient car parking to satisfy the council. Any change in use of this car park would potentially leave them foul of the standards required to continue operation.
Them and the other retailers in that bit rent the unit knowing car parking is available ,handled by another company
not uncommon

Last edited:

I read an article many years ago that when they introduced clamping in France it didn't last very long as people began carrying superglue and would hoy it in the locks if they came across one so it knackered the clamp and it soon became an unviable business for clampers. Got to love the French for not taking shite like this, if clamping was still a thing I for one would definitely be carrying superglue with me.

These parking companies are strictly predatory which is why I love messing them about. I have had over 20 at Luton Airport for stopping to let my wife or MIL out on a roundabout but they designed it so there was nowhere else to go unless you wanted to pay £5 or whatever it was to drop them off.

There used to be a bloke in Gateshead who would come with an angle grinder and cut off any clamp for £30. Companies sharp stopped clamping. And yes technically its criminal damage, yet nobody ever caught him on camera :lol:

Not sticking up for these firms but the ones where I work have change our car parks from a complete nightmare to a nice and secure place to park as long as you follow the information on the signs. As someone said MD's probably had problems with football fans using the spaces for none retail purposes and had to get a company in. imagin your taking you kids to MDs and you cant get parked due to car parked for the match or whatever....

I got one years ago when parked in car park just across wessy way outside pets at home. I ignored it and never heard any more about it.
May be a different management company or things may have changed. Think i was at the match and used the park and ride.

Pretty sure its a shared carpark and controlled due to location to the SOL

Them and the other retailers in that bit rent the unit knowing car parking is available ,handled by another company
not uncommon
It is shared yes. But they can’t deny any input into it when they’re using that provision for the purpose of carrying on a trade.

I would strongly advise NOT to ignore it. People suggest that every time but it's really bad advice. You used to be able to just ignore PCNs as they didn't have the jurisdiction to pursue but the Supreme Court ruled in their favour in 2015 (Beavis vs Parking Eye). They can and do pursue through the courts, CCJs, bailiffs etc and affect credit ratings.

Have had a couple over the years. Successfully appealed one which was complete nonsense - paid for parking at the hospital, left A&E just after midnight and received a fine. Appealed with proof that I'd paid, was rejected on the grounds that they weren't disputing that I'd paid but that I'd stayed longer than I'd paid for. Appealed to the Ombudsman with proof that I'd paid for longer than I'd actually stayed for, they didn't contest. But have received a couple of others similar to yours which were extremely harsh and got nowhere.

Don't think you have a leg to stand on unfortunately, as shit as it is. They will argue that they've clearly stated maximum 1 hour and you overstayed that, regardless of how long McDonald's took to serve you (incidentally they are absolutely diabolical these days). I would definitely look on the Pepipo forum and possibly appeal but not sure you'll have any joy. It is totally shit though.

Last edited:
I would strongly advise NOT to ignore it. People suggest that every time but it's really bad advice. You used to be able to just ignore PCNs as they didn't have the jurisdiction to pursue but the Supreme Court ruled in their favour in 2015 (Beavis vs Parking Eye). They can and do pursue through the courts, CCJs, bailiffs etc and affect credit ratings.

Have had a couple over the years. Successfully appealed one which was complete nonsense - paid for parking at the hospital, left A&E just after midnight and received a fine. Appealed with proof that I'd paid, was rejected on the grounds that they weren't disputing that I'd paid but that I'd stayed longer than I'd paid for. Appealed to the Ombudsman with proof that I'd paid for longer than I'd actually stayed for, they didn't contest. But have received a couple of others similar to yours which were extremely harsh and got nowhere.

Don't think you have a leg to stand on unfortunately, as shit as it is. They will argue that they've clearly stated maximum 1 hour and you overstayed that, regardless of how long McDonald's took to serve you (incidentally they are absolutely diabolical these days). I would definitely look on the Pepipo forum and possibly appeal but not sure you'll have any joy. It is totally shit though.
The OP has nothing to lose by contacting POPLA who will raise and consider the appeal at no cost to him.

The fine will be paused at £60 until a decision is made by POPLA so the £100 can be ignored for now.

It will cost the plaintiff £30 to raise their appeal. Add to that whatever it costs someone in Admin to correlate the info and pull it together...... say £20?
That means it's going to cost them circa £50 to argue the point and IF they are successful they get £60, in other words a tenner for their trouble.
It's well worth arguing since there is a reasonable chance that:
1- POPLA may agree with his appeal
2- The parking company may decide it's not worth the aggro of spending £30-£50 to get £60 back .

Essentially these parking shysters rely on people rolling over and paying. Their letters and subliminal threat of charging even more if you don't pay are designed to bully people into paying.

If nothing else, even if the OP does finally have to pay £60...... he's caused the cowboy company time, effort and annoyance, I'd do it for that alone.😈😈

Been over to take pics this afternoon and its a joke ..as you turn into the car park the a sign on the left is 3/4 covered by branches/ leaves so unreadable till you get in get out the car and walk over to 2m away and the other sign faces the wrong way i.e to whickes old store so no good to a car driving in.
I park the car go to the sliding door entrance nothing on the front , but to the side window in letters 1cm high a parking warning , why on the side ?
walk in nothing inside that warns you but at the counter less than waist high a warning but when you order at the machines when you go to the hatch you immediatley look up to the screen to see where your number is .
manageress was great she's going through the reciepts to get my proof and told me the people who ran the car park before it was 1.5 hrs .
When the appeal see how bad its signposted i think it will get overturned,as well as why has the new company reduced the time ? if i lose its £100 but i'm going for it.

Been over to take pics this afternoon and its a joke ..as you turn into the car park the a sign on the left is 3/4 covered by branches/ leaves so unreadable till you get in get out the car and walk over to 2m away and the other sign faces the wrong way i.e to whickes old store so no good to a car driving in.
I park the car go to the sliding door entrance nothing on the front , but to the side window in letters 1cm high a parking warning , why on the side ?
walk in nothing inside that warns you but at the counter less than waist high a warning but when you order at the machines when you go to the hatch you immediatley look up to the screen to see where your number is .
manageress was great she's going through the reciepts to get my proof and told me the people who ran the car park before it was 1.5 hrs .
When the appeal see how bad its signposted i think it will get overturned,as well as why has the new company reduced the time ? if i lose its £100 but i'm going for it.
Excellent that you've got photo evidence of the signs and the issues with them.
If you appealed within 14 days and take it to POPLA then the £60 ' fine ' is suspended at that and can't be increased while your appeal is ongoing.
I believe ( but double check ) that if you lose you have 14 days to pay the £60 otherwise it increases.
Best of luck with it and let us know how it goes ...... in your favour is my bet!

Often these things where folk say email here/write there etc the first action is normally best having a bit craic with manager in person or on phone imo. Soon got wynyard fine cancelled that way.

If it hasn't been mentioned already.

Go back to the "restaurant" and ask to speak to the manager. They should have the ability to cancel tickets for genuine customers. More helpful if you have a receipt. If the refuse to help get some advice on money saving expert private parking forum or pepipoo as there are plenty who will help

Not sticking up for these firms but the ones where I work have change our car parks from a complete nightmare to a nice and secure place to park as long as you follow the information on the signs. As someone said MD's probably had problems with football fans using the spaces for none retail purposes and had to get a company in. imagin your taking you kids to MDs and you cant get parked due to car parked for the match or whatever....
I'd say thank The Lord a perfect excuse to not use the place

As has been said challenge it up to the ombudsman. The mrs kept getting tickets (putting an o instead of a 0 for the reg) every time it got to the ombudsman they dropped it.

Back