Marks & Spencer’s to close In Sunderland

M & S or Aldi should just wait till "The Range " comes up for sale because its such a poor store now trade is poor. Car park always empty and not going to last. That will save them building on green space .
Wouldn't make much business sense being right next to Sainsburys. Could build it on the old eye infirmary at Ashbrooke, it would be well served around there.

Last edited:

I'll not be bothering with any of the other stores once the town one closes. I don't drive and that one is convenient for me, none of the others will be.

Last edited:
Wouldn't make much business sense being right next to Sainsburys. Could build it on the old eye infirmary at Ashbrooke, it would be well served around there.

Lidl have stores pretty much next to tesco at roker & sainsburys at North hylton. And the Grangetown one is pretty close to asda.

The parking issues is another thread on its own, but m&s expecting sunderland council to pay for all the parking costs in a time of council cuts is insane

What city centre has free parking

The one at Washington seems to do okay and that’s right next to a Sainsbury’s.
Or in the grounds of ashbrooke cc
I doubt very much a supermarket would getting planning there tbh.

(Unless Waitrose fancied it!)

The parking issues is another thread on its own, but m&s expecting sunderland council to pay for all the parking costs in a time of council cuts is insane

Looks as if they have thrown their toys out of the pram.

They want people to blame the council, which the idiots will do
They will not stop there. They'll probably want a contribution from SCC re.business rates. They are committed to paying rent and rates on the building for the next 3 years IIRC?

With today's announcement and hopefully a major boost to the local economy I wonder if it will be a case of who blinks first.

Suspect It’s not just free parking but surface level car park for 100+ spaces. That is just too big an area to provide in a city centre as it will take up loads of development space. Can’t think of many other city centres that have large swathes of surface level parking for retailers. Could have seen it at somewhere like trimdon street but not city centre.

Suspect It’s not just free parking but surface level car park for 100+ spaces. That is just too big an area to provide in a city centre as it will take up loads of development space. Can’t think of many other city centres that have large swathes of surface level parking for retailers. Could have seen it at somewhere like trimdon street but not city centre.
As said before hexham has this but baling out of there

Surely it’s more than just footy. Trying to support local Sunderland is more the issue. But each to their own I just feel those preferring the Saudi state are undermining the Sunderland economy.

Shopping in Newcastle is supporting Saudi Arabia now? You sound like a Mag doing whataboutery

It is, we should distance ourselves in all ways from that city and the population of it who welcomed in those bastards
I still go to Newcastle, my office is in Newcastle and on Friday I'm meeting some of my work mates for a drink

I'm a big believer in how great Sunderland can be , doesn't mean I won't ever go to Newcastle

I think we can offer something totally different to them

Back