Margaret Byrne

Status
Not open for further replies.
copied and pasted

"Byrne joined SAFC in 2007 as a secretary, and through hard work and ability progressed through the ranks to the top of the tree.

While staying very much out of the limelight, Byrne was nevertheless playing a pivotal role in shaping and directing the club. She was voted onto the Council of the Football Association by her peers as a Premier League representative, making her the first woman on the council, and she also got to sit on the Premier League Advisory Board".

as a solicitor she would have been trained in both criminal and civil law. She tried the criminal bit and decided to have a go at the civil side. Nothing wrong with that
As she had already been with the club for 4 years, it would make sense.

however unlucky for her, she made a real bad decision

She was not hired as just "a secretary" per se - but as the "club secretary" - a hugely important position within a football club usually held by lawyers with years of relevant professional experience.

It's the fact that she got this position as her very first post-training job, which is so bewildering.

Margaret Byrne. A solicitor with absolutely no experience of running a professional football club being appointed as Chief Exec.

It’s decisions like this that I keep pointing out to those that say Short has been spending money and doesn’t deserve the level of stick he gets.

Add in the Congerton’s and Bain’s and Di Fanti’s we’ve had, is it really any wonder were in this state ?
Congerton had experience in the role he took. Similarly Bain had been CEO of a football club previously. Byrne was a simply amateurish appointment - totally stupid and the start of the rot. I sometimes wonder if Lee Congerton had been allowed to do his job and properly backed things may have improved. Somewhere along the line we should have stuck to one plan.

She was not hired as just "a secretary" per se - but as the "club secretary" - a hugely important position within a football club usually held by lawyers with years of relevant professional experience.

It's the fact that she got this position as her very first post-training job, which is so bewildering.

I know what the secretary refers to

copied and pasted. obviously worked for a while under supervision before actually being given the role. I have no problems with new young people being given jobs. However they should be supervised as all of us are in our work place to ensure they do the job and do it properly. This clearly did not happen

How does a relatively young former solicitor from Northern Ireland get to be the CEO of an English Premier League side such as Sunderland?
I applied for the position of club secretary and in-house lawyer in 2007. At that time, the club was owned by the Irish consortium Drumaville. Roy Keane was manager and Niall Quinn was the chairman of the club. After quite a scrutinous interview process, I was given the position. From there, I worked my way up through the club. I was appointed as company secretary a few months after joining and then became legal director in December 2009 and from that stage, I had a hands on role in player transfers. I was appointed chief executive in 2011. It’s been a very fast learning curve.

Congerton had experience in the role he took. Similarly Bain had been CEO of a football club previously. Byrne was a simply amateurish appointment - totally stupid and the start of the rot. I sometimes wonder if Lee Congerton had been allowed to do his job and properly backed things may have improved. Somewhere along the line we should have stuck to one plan.

I actually agree regarding Congerton. In the right role, I still think he may have been an asset.

masterminded rodwell deal offering him a contract without a relegation clause

Knew about the Johnson scandal and kept it quiet

Took a pay off and fucked off

Just one example of corrupt incompetent arseholes making the decisions that brought us to league one

Congerton did the Rodwell deal.

I applied for the position of club secretary and in-house lawyer in 2007. At that time, the club was owned by the Irish consortium Drumaville. Roy Keane was manager and Niall Quinn was the chairman of the club. After quite a scrutinous interview process, I was given the position. From there, I worked my way up through the club. I was appointed as company secretary a few months after joining and then became legal director in December 2009 and from that stage, I had a hands on role in player transfers. I was appointed chief executive in 2011. It’s been a very fast learning curve.

Beginning of the end for us sadly, around 2011 is when it started spiralling out imo. Gyan left on loan, we bought David Vaughan, Craig Gardner, etc, Bendtner on loan... suddenly went from a promising attacking team under Bruce to sacking managers and loaning players, fighting relegation, the 2013 was the De Fanti Summer with Cabral etc. The year later we brought Rodwell in and loaned Alvarez from Inter. Must have wasted so much money during these few years and we never recovered.

masterminded rodwell deal offering him a contract without a relegation clause

Knew about the Johnson scandal and kept it quiet

Took a pay off and fucked off

Just one example of corrupt incompetent arseholes making the decisions that brought us to league one
She still has her fingers in the pie... She represents some of the younger players at the club, Honeyman for one irc

Was just thinking about it and thought it may have flown under people's radars since there's countless others who are to blame.
There's no simple explanation like it's "short's fault" or "the players fault", it's a massive combination of countless failures, such as Margaret Byrne, De Fanti, yes Short has paid them, but he presumably did so in good faith, he's a fool but not inherently evil. these failures should share the responsibility imo they've let us and short down
the old 'He was let down by his advisors and people he trusted' line. Ellis Short only likes yes men/women. Remember that Sachs fella was Head of Football at the club? The nephew of a mate of his! De Fanti was a golf buddy of his. There is many key factors in our downfall but all roads lead to Ellis Short.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back