Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

How often do you eat this stuff? If I had the time and was organised I'd be about 50 stone :lol:
Aside from the oil that you cook it in, what's unhealthy about onions, peppers, tomatoes, spices and chicken? I actualy use brown rice now as well as as little oil as I can get away with.

We have it about once ever 10 days give or take.

Aside from the oil that you cook it in, what's unhealthy about onions, peppers, tomatoes, spices and chicken? I actualy use brown rice now as well as as little oil as I can get away with.

We have it about once ever 10 days give or take.

Suppose if you dont use much oil and lean meat its not too bad. Restaurants i'd imagine use plenty oil though.

Suppose if you dont use much oil and lean meat its not too bad. Restaurants i'd imagine use plenty oil though.
Even a tbsp of oil (125cals) per portion isn't all that bad for you if everything else is veg and lean chicken breast. I also use greek yoghurt in place of cream when its called for.
Its the papadoms and ghee covered naan breads that nail you in the restaurants.

Edit: Some curries do have sugar too - the one last night was a tsp (16cals) per portion plus a tsp of mango chutney (~10cals). Although I found that too sweet last night, so I'll not put the sugar in next time.

Basically, curries are a stir fry!

Even a tbsp of oil (125cals) per portion isn't all that bad for you if everything else is veg and lean chicken breast. I also use greek yoghurt in place of cream when its called for.
Its the papadoms and ghee covered naan breads that nail you in the restaurants.

Edit: Some curries do have sugar too - the one last night was a tsp (16cals) per portion plus a tsp of mango chutney (~10cals). Although I found that too sweet last night, so I'll not put the sugar in next time.

Basically, curries are a stir fry!

Id love to do one for the family but mine hot. What do you think would be the best way of approaching that?

Wife and kids feeble with heat

Id love to do one for the family but mine hot. What do you think would be the best way of approaching that?

Wife and kids feeble with heat
Put fresh chilli or hot chilli powder in a separate pan - fry it up with base gravey and set aside. Remember, you have to fry spices in oil - but there's plenty oil in the base gravy so you don't really need much.
Serve everyone elses portions up, then quickly put your "heat mix" into what's left in the pan, and give it a 30 second heat and stir to mix.
I reckob the spices and ginger will be rich enough to put off the kids.
My 6 month old baby was eating chasni last night :lol:

That's the secret. Get them eating it early. I took my daughter for her first visit to an Indian restaurant before she was 3.
My eldest loved curries until she was nearly 4, then suddenly won't touch any "spicy" food, even though its not spicy at all.
Stupid bloody kids man!

Anyone got any good tips for a good Pilau rice or Naan bread?
I largely follow Al's rice but have never understood the obsession with measuring the water. Rinse the rice and cook with the cardamom pods, clove, bay leaf, salt and turmeric. As someone else said I just use a touch of cinnamon powder instead of bark. Cook it in loads of water until ready.
Fry half a finely chopped onion and 3/4 cloves of garlic very finely sliced until soft, add a teaspoon of Madras and methods leaves. Mix in the rice, colour a small amount red and mix that... Lush

I largely follow Al's rice but have never understood the obsession with measuring the water. Rinse the rice and cook with the cardamom pods, clove, bay leaf, salt and turmeric. As someone else said I just use a touch of cinnamon powder instead of bark. Cook it in loads of water until ready.
Fry half a finely chopped onion and 3/4 cloves of garlic very finely sliced until soft, add a teaspoon of Madras and methods leaves. Mix in the rice, colour a small amount red and mix that... Lush

Is the red just food colouring?

Back