Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

Pre-cooked chicken.. do you do this as in Als video or just cook from raw?
If I'm doing base, and there's a load of chicken lying around, I'll often fry a few portions up. It does improve the flavour of the chicken imo - not as much as tikka would, but still.

But most of the time these days, I just throw the diced chicken in as I'm adding the base gravy to the curry.
Cheers. Might knock up a base gravy tonight but missing puree and coriander powder/fresh coriander. Reckon id get away without?

Was watching Al again last night. Was starving watching it :lol:
The fresh coriander is important imo. The powder is, iirc, a totally different flavour.

Last edited:
Base gravy is smelling better today which is a relief, not sure what happened there!

Got some chicken in, any recommendations for your favourite chicken curries from Al?

Yes thats what I meant! After the base

Aye just half what Al recommends as a rule. As always, you can add more but never take it away. When you're making the first few it's worth under playing it until you get a feel for how much you need. While all the powders like cumin, coriander etc are the same, chilli powder can vary massively in strength!

Got some chicken in, any recommendations for your favourite chicken curries from Al?
Can't go wrong with the original jalfrezi tbh. The Balti version is even better, but you have to cook it in small portions or it doesn't work so well.
The Chasni is one of my current favs

Back