Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

Yup. I hoy the lot in, and stick it on Manual (high pressure) for 30 mins and forget all about it - do it on a morning and finish it off later in the day works really well. If you let it cool naturally, you don't even get any curry-scented steam.
Then I use a stick blender in the IP and ladle it directly into takeaway plastic containers - 3/4 of one is about perfect for a nice double-portion of curry.
Do you put everything in? The tomatoes, spices and then blitz the lot when making a base gravy?

I might be interested in getting an Instant pot?

What is an instant pot?
Electronic pressure cooker. Best kitchen gadget I think I've ever bought. Replaces about 4 things, and does it far better.
Funny this thread should pop up today. I made another Chasni tonight, absolutely lovely - although its too sweet, next time round I'll skip the tblsp sugar and see how it is.
I cleaned my aluminium the other day - it was all scarred and I could not get it clean - not even bicarb/vinegar could shift it. So I took a steel-wool drill attachment to it - that's got it nice and clean - then I seasoned it with 3-4 good rounds of oil. Its like a non-stick pan now :cool:

Last edited:
Yup. I hoy the lot in, and stick it on Manual (high pressure) for 30 mins and forget all about it - do it on a morning and finish it off later in the day works really well. If you let it cool naturally, you don't even get any curry-scented steam.
Then I use a stick blender in the IP and ladle it directly into takeaway plastic containers - 3/4 of one is about perfect for a nice double-portion of curry.
Summed it up perfectly.

Electronic pressure cooker. Best kitchen gadget I think I've ever bought. Replaces about 4 things, and does it far better.
Funny this thread should pop up today. I made another Chasni tonight, absolutely lovely - although its too sweet, next time round I'll skip the tblsp sugar and see how it is.
I cleaned my aluminium the other day - it was all scarred and I could not get it clean - not even bicarb/vinegar could shift it. So I took a steel-wool drill attachment to it - that's got it nice and clean - then I seasoned it with 3-4 good rounds of oil. Its like a non-stick pan now :cool:

@karlm14

Anyone got any good tips for a good Pilau rice or Naan bread?
Use the absorption method for rice. Lightly fry onions until soft, add garlic for final minute. Fry the dry rice. Add stock to double the visual depth of the rice. Cover immediately with tight fitting foil. Leave on a very very low heat to absorb the liquid, approx 30 minutes plus.

Use the absorption method for rice. Lightly fry onions until soft, add garlic for final minute. Fry the dry rice. Add stock to double the visual depth of the rice. Cover immediately with tight fitting foil. Leave on a very very low heat to absorb the liquid, approx 30 minutes plus.

Cheers! Any particular stock or just anything?

Cheers! Any particular stock or just anything?
What ever your preference really, but watch out for too much salt as it will be quite concentrated. Remember to NOT disturb or stir the rice at all. Just fluff it up a bit before service and it's done. Our Gurkha chefs used to break every food safety law under the sun making rice. They make it as above and then leave it in a bacteria nirvana temperature hotplate for hours before service. It never ever failed though.

What ever your preference really, but watch out for too much salt as it will be quite concentrated. Remember to NOT disturb or stir the rice at all. Just fluff it up a bit before service and it's done. Our Gurkha chefs used to break every food safety law under the sun making rice. They make it as above and then leave it in a bacteria nirvana temperature hotplate for hours before service. It never ever failed though.

There must be some right dodgy stuff goes on in restaurants like. Doesnt bear thinking about.

Anyone got any good tips for a good Pilau rice or Naan bread?
Rice is a doddle once you know the trick! Here's Al's video on it

Basically though, Wash the rice twice - get rid of all the dust from the industrial process. Then put the rice in LOADS of boiling water for 2 minutes less than it says on the bag (for bismati, I think its 12mins). Then strain and put back in the pan and leave for a couple of minutes.
It'll be spot on - and you can add the spices to the water as per the video, and then do the frying bit afterwards if you like (I rarely bother with this part tbh)

I'm sure the absorbtion methods works too, but I get perfect results with this one, so I see no reason to change.

Last edited:
Rice is a doddle once you know the trick! Here's Al's video on it

Basically though, Wash the rice twice - get rid of all the dust from the industrial process. Then put the rice in LOADS of boiling water for 2 minutes less than it says on the bag (for bismati, I think its 12mins). Then strain and put back in the pan and leave for a couple of minutes.
It'll be spot on - and you can add the spices to the water as per the video, and then do the frying bit afterwards if you like (I rarely bother with this part tbh)

I'm sure the absorbtion methods works too, but I get perfect results with this one, so I see no reason to change.

Thanks. Do you bother with the leaf and bark etc?
I've got no base gravy at the moment, so it will be a Chicken Karahi toneet!

You can eat something other than curry you know? :lol:

I've got no base gravy at the moment, so it will be a Chicken Karahi toneet!
I've just bought a new carbon steel wok and wok ring.
The ring will be perfect for some proper cast iron karahis / balti bowls. Can't wait :lol:
Thanks. Do you bother with the leaf and bark etc?
Bay leaf - yes
Casia Bark - No - I use a 1/2tsp of cinnammon (sp?) instead

There's 2 parts to this iirc. The stuff that goes in the water - I do all that, then the stuff that goes in the frying pan - I rarely bother with this, although I chuck the methi leaves in the water for the crack (and cos I've got a f***ing hundredweight of the stuff!)

Last edited:
I've just bought a new carbon steel wok and wok ring.
The ring will be perfect for some proper cast iron karahis / balti bowls. Can't wait :lol:

Bay leaf - yes
Casia Bark - No - I use a 1/2tsp of cinnammon (sp?) instead

There's 2 parts to this iirc. The stuff that goes in the water - I do all that, then the stuff that goes in the frying pan - I rarely bother with this, although I chuck the methi leaves in the water for the crack (and cos I've got a f***ing hundredweight of the stuff!)

How often do you eat this stuff? If I had the time and was organised I'd be about 50 stone :lol:

Back