Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

Neither. Comes out right.

Al specifically says not to use those though.
I use the jars when making the base gravy and turns out fine, always blitz my own when making the individual curries though. Al's Methi is currently the curry of choice in our house.

Anybody done a taste comparison with the base gravy 1 &2? I've always just stuck with the original.

Last edited:
That’s quite good but I don’t like aluminium, really after a steel one.

AFAIK all the professional curry chefs use aluminium for it's excellent heat conduction qualities. This is beneficial when caramelising the base sauce late on in the cooking process.

You can get them at Ahmeds in Laygate for sure, but I would imagine all decent Asian shops will sell them. Get one with curved sides rather than straight ones as this makes the scraping of the caramelised base sauce easier.

Last edited:
Looking forward to making a few new curries as my Tandoori Masala powder arrived this morning.
My missus stock curry when eating out was always a Chicken Tikka Masala but since I started to make Al's version for her she can't eat it when out, finds it much too 'gloopy' after the home made which she much prefers :lol:

Quick one. You know the jars of spice mix that Al has mentioned many places use, what exactly is that, can I buy it, and what exactly do I do with it?

Pataks paste or something?

Thought it might be interesting to give it a try to compare.

Anybody done a taste comparison with the base gravy 1 &2? I've always just stuck with the original.
I was dead keen on trying a better base, but then I realised I'd have to buy a few more things, and I already have far too much curry stuff!
So I'll stick with the original.
What's happened to Al? No new videos for months.
He's back, done 2 Thai curries and a chilli con carne.

I tried his Mac and Cheese the other day. It was ok, but nowt flash.

almost all supermarkets sell it
What exactly is it though? There's millions of different curry pastes out there, but I got the impression its a single one that many BIR places use.

Last edited:
I would still like to do the Tikka Chikcen Masala Sunderland Indian style, his just doesn't taste the same, or the Madras for that matter

I was dead keen on trying a better base, but then I realised I'd have to buy a few more things, and I already have far too much curry stuff!
So I'll stick with the original.

If you're looking for an alternative simple base try this one.

I use it every time when I batch cook Madras and it works perfectly - plus, you'll probably already have all of the ingredients.

Ingredients

For 1800 ml.

8 tbspn oil
600 gm onion (prepared weight)
45 gm ginger (prepared weight)
35 gm garlic (prepared weight)

Spices
3 tspn turmeric
1 tspn paprika
1 tspn ground coriander
½ tspn ground cumin
½ tspn ground cinnamon
½ tspn ground fenugreek
1 tspn salt

800 ml chopped tomatoes
3 tspn tomato purée

Preparation
Finely chop the onions, garlic and ginger.

Cooking

1. Stage 1

2. Heat 4 tbspn of oil in a large wok over a high heat.

3. Add the onion and fry, stirring regularly, for 8 min.

4. Make a space in the centre of the onions and add 1 tbsp oil then the ginger, press down for a few seconds then stir in, and fry, stirring frequently for 2 min.

5. Make a space in the centre and add 1 tbsp oil then the garlic, press down for a few seconds then stir in, and fry, stirring frequently for 2 min.

6. Continue to fry for about 2 min until the onions turn a golden colour. It is important, especially at the latter stages, that the contents are kept moving to prevent burning. (see note 1)

7. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

8. Stage 2

9. Spoon the fried onion mixture into a liquidizer.

10. Add 800 ml of chopped tomato and some warm water to ¾ fill the container.

11. Blend until very smooth.

12. Empty the blended mixture into a measuring jug and add enough water to make 2000 ml.

13. Stage 3

14. Heat 2 tbspn of oil, over a medium heat, in a stock pot or very large pan.

15. Stir in the tomato purée and fry for about 30 seconds using the back of a chef's spoon.

16. Add spices and stir fry for about 10 seconds.

17. Remove the pan from the heat and very carefully pour in the blended mixture. Take care as it will spit to start with.

18. Return to the heat, add the salt, bring to a boil and then simmer, covered, stirring frequently for 30 min.

19. Allow to cool and then transfer to a measuring jug.

20. Add enough water (if needed) to make 1800 ml, stirring well.

21. Pour the base sauce into 300 ml jars (6 off), label and, when cool, store in the freezer. A jar can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days or used immediately.

(1) Exact timing at stage 1, part 6, is difficult to specify as it depends on the type of onions, the heat used and the type of pan, but a ‘wheat’ or ‘straw’ colour is what is required. The deeper the colour the more savoury the sauce will become. A more savoury sauce will be ok for a robustly flavoured curry but not for a mild type

Last edited:
If you're looking for an alternative simple base try this one.

I use it every time when I batch cook Madras and it works perfectly - plus, you'll probably already have all of the ingredients.

Ingredients

For 1800 ml.

8 tbspn oil
600 gm onion (prepared weight)
45 gm ginger (prepared weight)
35 gm garlic (prepared weight)

Spices
3 tspn turmeric
1 tspn paprika
1 tspn ground coriander
½ tspn ground cumin
½ tspn ground cinnamon
½ tspn ground fenugreek
1 tspn salt

800 ml chopped tomatoes
3 tspn tomato purée

Preparation
Finely chop the onions, garlic and ginger.

Cooking

1. Stage 1

2. Heat 4 tbspn of oil in a large wok over a high heat.

3. Add the onion and fry, stirring regularly, for 8 min.

4. Make a space in the centre of the onions and add 1 tbsp oil then the ginger, press down for a few seconds then stir in, and fry, stirring frequently for 2 min.

5. Make a space in the centre and add 1 tbsp oil then the garlic, press down for a few seconds then stir in, and fry, stirring frequently for 2 min.

6. Continue to fry for about 2 min until the onions turn a golden colour. It is important, especially at the latter stages, that the contents are kept moving to prevent burning. (see note 1)

7. Remove from the heat and allow to cool.

8. Stage 2

9. Spoon the fried onion mixture into a liquidizer.

10. Add 800 ml of chopped tomato and some warm water to ¾ fill the container.

11. Blend until very smooth.

12. Empty the blended mixture into a measuring jug and add enough water to make 2000 ml.

13. Stage 3

14. Heat 2 tbspn of oil, over a medium heat, in a stock pot or very large pan.

15. Stir in the tomato purée and fry for about 30 seconds using the back of a chef's spoon.

16. Add spices and stir fry for about 10 seconds.

17. Remove the pan from the heat and very carefully pour in the blended mixture. Take care as it will spit to start with.

18. Return to the heat, add the salt, bring to a boil and then simmer, covered, stirring frequently for 30 min.

19. Allow to cool and then transfer to a measuring jug.

20. Add enough water (if needed) to make 1800 ml, stirring well.

21. Pour the base sauce into 300 ml jars (6 off), label and, when cool, store in the freezer. A jar can be kept in the refrigerator for a few days or used immediately.

(1) Exact timing at stage 1, part 6, is difficult to specify as it depends on the type of onions, the heat used and the type of pan, but a ‘wheat’ or ‘straw’ colour is what is required. The deeper the colour the more savoury the sauce will become. A more savoury sauce will be ok for a robustly flavoured curry but not for a mild type
Ya nee Al like.

Yatral nee Al like.

I think a base sauce should be exactly that, something fairly neutral that forms the base/thickener for the ingredients for a curry, without imposing its own flavour on it.

If it doesn't appeal to you, no problem, don't use it - I'll carry on without a second thought, my Madras is imho (and that of others who have tasted it) brilliant and better than many restaurants/takeaways!

;)

Last edited:
I think a base sauce should be exactly that, something fairly neutral that forms the base/thickener for the ingredients for a curry, without imposing its own flavour on it.

If it doesn't appeal to you, no problem, don't use it - I'll carry on without a second thought, my Madras is imho (and that of others who have tasted it) brilliant and better than many restaurants/takeaways!

;)
I use Al’s base gravy recipe and like you say, it’s neutral. Used to stink the house out making it but use the instant pot now so not too bad.

I use Al’s base gravy recipe and like you say, it’s neutral. Used to stink the house out making it but use the instant pot now so not too bad.

I've never tried it, the recipe I quoted was the first one I used and apart from increasing the original amounts of ginger, garlic and tomatoes I've stuck with it ever since.

I never got this "stink the house out" thing. Had the extrator fan on, and the lid on. Then shut the kitchen door.

Did everyone else put a fan in front of the open pan, and try their best to spread it around?

Instant Pot for me now too. 30 mins, then natural cool down. tbh, I don't even add the toms and spices last now, I fry them in the instant pot first, then add everything to it.
Then blend many hours later when cool

Back