Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

Need to sort the chicken and madras tonight :lol:

Spent all day chopping onions yesterday so gave up and just took some of the base gravy, added hot chili powder and had chips and curry sauce at about 8pm.

Will be buying the big massive onions from the greengrocers next time.
Buy frozen diced Onions, Garlic and Ginger, no erhum crying for me ;)

Did that with the garlic/ginger. Not a bad shout with onions as well.
I've been using a tbsp frozen chopped ginger and one of garlic as a replacement for 1 tbsp of blended GG paste for about a year now, its just so more convenient than making batches of the stuff and freezing it.
We have a massive bag of frozen chopped onions in the bottom of the freezer too (replacement from online shopping). I was planning on using in my next batch of base. But now I'm thinking of going low-oil & organic, so maybe not. Might just get it used up though.

I made a dodgy batch of base on Saturday, ended up binning the lot - used it to make a curry and it was very bitter / tart
Went back and tasted the base gravy and it was definitely that, was like a Haribo sour

I had used some old mild chilli powder in lieu of paprika so binned that as well but reading up it's probably more to do with overcooking some of the spices, lesson learned

did a 2nd batch yesterday, normal service resumed

Just made some of the mix powder this afternoon. Going to try the new garlic chilli chicken recipe when the chicken is defrosted.

So I became aware of the "Al's Kitchen" (YouTube.com/c/alskitchen) YouTube channel a few weeks ago. And yesterday decided to try it.

The full range of ingredients (Barr the meat) cost me about £15 (Asian Food shop, Hylton Road, next door to Borneo). reckon the spices I've got spare will last me another 10/15 batches.

Followed his 'Base Gravy' recipe and then the 'Pre Cooked Chicken' and then made a Madras following his videos.

cooked for 5 last night and it went down an absolute treat, everyone loved it. The curry was of quality that would be served at an Indian restaurant. (I'm not taking any credit, all I done was follow his video. My cooking level is very much novice).

I've got enough 'base gravy' left to probably make another 5-6 currys (it can be frozen).

Felt I had to share this little gem , anyone who has an interest in cooking, And likes Currys - Give it a go. Honestly it's fantastic.

Making another curry today :cool:
I've just made it mate and it tastes decent as it is but is it better turned in to a madras, bhuna etc

Just made some of the mix powder this afternoon. Going to try the new garlic chilli chicken recipe when the chicken is defrosted.
Why wait for the chicken to defrost? Just precook it. Usually just poach mine in boiling water for 10 minutes then cool and add to the curry as cooked half way through.

I made a dodgy batch of base on Saturday, ended up binning the lot - used it to make a curry and it was very bitter / tart
Went back and tasted the base gravy and it was definitely that, was like a Haribo sour

I had used some old mild chilli powder in lieu of paprika so binned that as well but reading up it's probably more to do with overcooking some of the spices, lesson learned

did a 2nd batch yesterday, normal service resumed
Scorching the spices will definitely cause bitterness. They barely need warming to release the oils and flavour.

I've been using a massive mortar and pestle for years, but hit Amazon during last lockdown and bought a coffee/spice grinder. Its a game changer.

I'm a big fan of this with a curry

Back