Make An Indian Curry From Scratch - Al's Kitchen

Do you follow his recipes with the base gravy etc,
Yup. Bought a cheap stock pan from eBay. Made the Base gravy (3.6 litres of it) and then froze it in 500ml portions. Did the ‘pre-cooked’ lamb thing too. All very, very easy. The taste though: lusharoon.
He has an updated Jalfrezi on his channel now.
Champion. I do t think I’ll go back to shop bought pastes now like. 😎

Last edited:
Do you know any decent recipes that don't use it I guess it's one of those things that once you have used the gravy once you won't want to go without
There's a Karahi I think
Plus 2 slow / pressure cook ones.
But they're different to the "normal" ones tbh. Nice still, but you're not really getting "the point" if you go for these first
Misty Ricardo is just the same as Al's really, definitely recommend his books for the price of them, easier to follow than a video and also explains how to scale up for more than one serving etc. Latifs vids are usually in his restaurant kitchen (prior to covid) he explains them well too.
Is there a simple trick for this? Al says not to & I tried doubling up once, and the curry was bland. I was gutted, because I had my mate and his kids round, and I'd been raving about them, and everyone was let down.
Yup. Bought a cheap stock pan from eBay. Made the Base gravy (3.6 litres of it) and then froze it in 500ml portions. Did the ‘pre-cooked’ lamb thing too.
I do the same - takeaway containers (plastic ones) get refilled with base. One full one for 2 portions.

That lamb is outrageous. I could just eat it on its own, nevermind putting it in a curry.

Last edited:
There's a Karahi I think
But they're different to the "normal" ones tbh. Nice still, but you're not really getting "the point" if you go for these first

Is there a simple trick for this? Al says not to & I tried doubling up once, and the curry was bland. I was gutted, because I had my mate and his kids round, and I'd been raving about them, and everyone was let down.

I do the same - takeaway containers (plastic ones) get refilled with base. One full one for 2 portions.

That lamb is outrageous. I could just eat it on its own, nevermind putting it in a curry.
Pressure cooker has been a revelation for me, I just chuck all the ingredients in, and it's done in 15 mins! Doesn't stink the house out either!

Pressure cooker has been a revelation for me, I just chuck all the ingredients in, and it's done in 15 mins! Doesn't stink the house out either!
You mean for the base sauce though, yes? That's what I do too.

I mean the pressure cooker curries - the beef masala one, I think works well in the Instant Pot.

There's a Karahi I think

Not really mate, misty explains it well I his second book, certain spices have more put in than others. The kindle edition was on amazon for 99p the other week, I prefer having the proper books mind.

Not really mate, misty explains it well I his second book, certain spices have more put in than others. The kindle edition was on amazon for 99p the other week, I prefer having the proper books mind.
I'm risking it tomorrow going to add chilli, garlic, ginger, tomato and some spices to base gravy

Why not just make the madras again? That's all there is to that recipe. Bit of tomato puree and spices. It'll be better than just hoying random shit together.
True I even have a recipe printed of somewhere which is near identical to Al's, I guess I wanted to try something different mind I am a novice so only follow recipes at the moment with slight alterations. You still vegan mate.

Back