M1 or A1 to Wembley?

I remember knicking my sisters Triumph Dolomite - it was a red one, and attempting to drive it down to the Cardiff match in God knows when - the early eighties perhaps, for a promotion match. The f***ing thing had no oil in it and the big ends 'went' between Nottingham and Derby. We had to thumb it back up here without seeing the match and the repairs cost me an absolute fortune :evil:

Sounds good to me, I may give it a go. I'm travelling on the Saturday without any rush. If it's shite though, hell will descend on you. :p
Take it from me, you won't be disappointed if you like good, honest cafe food as opposed to the dreadful and expensive stuff in service areas. You can get a full meal (such as an all-day Full English) or just a great bacon sandwich and a cuppa. For those who prefer, they even do a great salad. Obviously, my directions apply travelling from north to south. If you want to find it on the return, when travelling north, the Stibbington diner is a few miles south of the A47. You can google it, anyway.

Last edited:

Take it from me, you won't be disappointed if you like good, honest cafe food as opposed to the dreadful and expensive stuff in service areas. You can get a full meal (such as an all-day Full English) or just a great bacon sandwich and a cuppa. For those who prefer, they even do a great salad. Obviously, my directions apply travelling from north to south. If you want to find it on the return, when travelling north, the Stibbington diner is a few miles south of the A47. You can google it, anyway.

Open Sunday’s? Around 9 am hunter

There's a Mozzas right next to junction 1 on the M18. Great stop off point for food and fuel.

Second that, we use it regularly on our trips North to home games. Does a decent, cheap breakfast and the fuels cheap as well.

Anyone know what the best route straight into Watford central is? Will be staying at the premier inn there

Stay on the M1 past the M25 to J5 and follow the signs for the A4008.

Last edited:
Not gonna go all Partridge and get into an argument about roundabouts but there is like...hope you keep your eyes peeled for them next weekend mate if yr going A1!
Me neither marra but I am genuinely mystified as I do it regularly (I live in London) and as recently as last week. Going north I join the A1 from the A14 a few miles south of Peterborough services and come off at J49, the A168 to go across to the A19 There's really not one roundabout in all that stretch, they removed them a few years back.
A1 has more speed cameras iirc

Been a couple of yr since I was down that way is there not one at Grantham on the a1
Yes a canny few speed cameras especially in Lincolnshire.

Last edited:

As well as the above, we also use The Stamford Post in Stamford satnav PE9 2QZ literally 5 mins off of the A1. Normal Wetherspoons breakfasts opens 8am everyday.
@stretch

Its literally 10 mins and 7 miles north of @The Hunter recommendation

Last edited:
:D
In going M1 but I’m heading west of Wembley (ruislip).

M1 was fine on way to Wycombe few weeks back, came off at 15a though
I'm staying in Ruislip on the Friday evening travelling down on Friday morning, A1 to M25 then heading west to our hotel...The Barn, beside Wealdstones Football ground.. If anyone's there Friday, I'm open to a pint:D

There’s one at Buckden. Just before St Neots.

Until fairly recently I knew every blade of grass between Finchley (where I live) and Alwalton (directly north of Peterborough). Did that as a daily commute for nearly five years (I now work in central London, thank God).

As you say, there are speed cameras at Buckden. And there are cameras coming out stretch near Sandy. There’s also a sneaky one right at the bottom of the A1 near Sterling Corner (Barnet/Borehamwood), before you get to Shell garage/Morrisons hypermarket.

One other thing I would notice on the stretch between the Peterborough/A47 turn off and St Neot’s is unmarked police cars pulling people over (as opposed to those sex shops mentioned, where it was lorry drivers ‘pulling off’!).

It’s a four-lane, fairly empty section of the A1 here so many are tempted to put their foot down and come a cropper. Cambridgeshire constabulary tended to use unmarked Skodas, mainly Superbs. There was a maroon one that I’d always see stopping drivers.

So don’t be caught out there either.

It'll either be A1 and stop near Cambridge, or M1 and Newport Pagnell for me. Probably the latter, as it's West London this time.

Sounds good to me. I love a good breakfast with newspapers and mates. And bonny lasses dressed in black serving it. :p

Back