M1 or A1 to Wembley?

They’ve all gone apart from a couple south of the A14. Can’t remember how many I usually get off there for SE London.

It has one.
I'm sure there was a roundabout with Sunderland in the name

...and on the subject of roundabouts... I'd never heard of this one until we came up to it lost with an AtoZ. The 'Magic Roundabout' in Hemel Hampstead It's like the wacky races!

Logon or register to see this image

Last edited:

The OP last drove on the A1 in a Triumph Dolomite
I remember knicking my sisters Triumph Dolomite - it was a red one, and attempting to drive it down to the Cardiff match in God knows when - the early eighties perhaps, for a promotion match. The f***ing thing had no oil in it and the big ends 'went' between Nottingham and Derby. We had to thumb it back up here without seeing the match and the repairs cost me an absolute fortune :evil:

The A1 can be, at times, just as quick as the M1 and it is certainly less boring. But here is a good reason for giving it a go...in these days of faceless, expensive, plastic motorway service areas, let me recommed the best genuine TRANSPORT CAFE on the UK roads network. I give you the STIBBINGTON DINER, just south of the A1 intersection with the A47 near Peterborough. Brilliant grub, reasonable and an absolute delight to stop off when compared to the M-way alternatives. Look out of the signs after you've passed the A47 turn off. There are not many places like this left ...make the most of it.

Sounds good to me, I may give it a go. I'm travelling on the Saturday without any rush. If it's shite though, hell will descend on you. :p

Last edited:
Stopping at Wembley Travelodge on the Saturday but undecided which way to drive down.

Is it easier to Go A1(M), M18, then M1, or just stay on the A1(M)? Both seem to end converge in pretty much ch exactly the same place.A1 is slightly longer at an extra 4 miles, any ideas?
Going m18 way is definitely shorter.

Fuck the A1, dual carriageways and that.

A1, M18, M1, M25, M40.
Correct

Last edited:
I remember knicking my sisters Triumph Dolomite - it was a red one, and attempting to drive it down to the Cardiff match in God knows when - the early eighties perhaps, for a promotion match. The f***ing thing had no oil in it and the big ends 'went' between Nottingham and Derby. We had to thumb it back up here without seeing the match and the repairs cost me an absolute fortune :evil:

Sounds good to me, I may give it a go. I'm travelling on the Saturday without any rush. Hopefully it's good :p

....? He is correct, plenty of roundabouts on the A1, I use it quite regularly down to Cambridgeshire and it's a breeze tbh.
Eh? I go up and down it several times a year, 3 times since Xmas. They all went years ago. There’s some south of the A14 junction but if you go to Cambridgeshire you don’t go far past that on the A1.

Eh? I go up and down it several times a year, 3 times since Xmas. They all went years ago. There’s some south of the A14 junction but if you go to Cambridgeshire you don’t go far past that on the A1.
....?? Downtown, Sherwood Forest and Black Cat roundabout are 3 without even starting to think of anymore.

Anyway, normally A1 for east side, M1 for west side. There's currently shit loads of roadworks around cambridge on A1. So if staying close to wembley id probably go M1. Although id just follow dat nav in reality.

Personally i dont care as im going by coach.

Last edited:
....?? Downtown, Sherwood Forest and Black Cat roundabout are 3 without even starting to think of anymore.
OK. The Black Cat is one of those south of the A14. Don’t know the others but there are definitely none now between J49 (Dishforth, for the A168 to Teeside and A19) and that Black Cat one in Bedfordshire.

Iirc theres one on the way there & one on way back.
Think the one on way back is Doncaster-ish, way there is a bit further south.
Right, I only know the big ‘Adult Store’ sign southbound side. Useful to know there’s a northbound one in case I forget to pack something.

Last edited:
OK. The Black Cat is one of those south of the A14. Don’t know the others but there are definitely none now between J49 (Dishforth, for the A168 to Teeside and A19) and that Black Cat one in Bedfordshire.
Not gonna go all Partridge and get into an argument about roundabouts but there is like...hope you keep your eyes peeled for them next weekend mate if yr going A1!

Last edited:
The A1 can be, at times, just as quick as the M1 and it is certainly less boring. But here is a good reason for giving it a go...in these days of faceless, expensive, plastic motorway service areas, let me recommed the best genuine TRANSPORT CAFE on the UK roads network. I give you the STIBBINGTON DINER, just south of the A1 intersection with the A47 near Peterborough. Brilliant grub, reasonable and an absolute delight to stop off when compared to the M-way alternatives. Look out of the signs after you've passed the A47 turn off. There are not many places like this left ...make the most of it.

Thanks for that, ideal. Was trying to pick a brekkie spot for a driver change half way, thats well over half way but alternatives are macdonalds etc so feck it.

The
Roundabouts?

When did you last go on it, 1995? :lol:
There was roundabouts on it two weeks ago. The MOT must be really upping their arse kicking game if they’ve gone now! WDA1C&MOT.

M1 has been a nightmare around MK area the last six months or so both north and south. Becos of roadworks. I’d do some serious research if I was heading down tbh.
Just after Xmas southbound I did A1 then cut across to M1 on the a421 which seemed better. Not sure if that’s take people into the roadworks now or not? M25 from A1 to M1 probs best. A414 if there’s m25 probs.

Last edited:
A1 has more speed cameras iirc

Right, I only know the big ‘Adult Store’ sign southbound side. Useful to know there’s a northbound one in case I forget to pack something.

Been a couple of yr since I was down that way is there not one at Grantham on the a1

Last edited:

Back