M&S Food

Our lass went through a phase of food shopping at M&S.

To be fair, while it's pricey, it's good quality stuff... not that it makes it good value

But they're bastards for putting stuff out with short dates. Sometimes stuff from the fridge goes out of date the next day.

Was in Asda yesterday and I overheard a mother calling her daughter a daft c*nt.

Left immediately. Scatter Central.

Think I'll stick to M&S.

I was in Asda a few days ago, and it's now a worse shopping experience than Aldi / Lidl. Whole shop completely untidy, unkempt shelves etc. Don't need to stick to M&S, any of the other supermarkets are way nicer (including Aldi & Lidl)

Difference is marginal. If you get meat from a proper butchers then the difference is night and day. M&S ready meals/party food are canny though i'll give them that.

On a separate but similar topic I went out to get the Christmas veg tonight and you would think it was some sort of battle royale. Agro in the car park, clashing trolleys, shouting. It's not like the place us going to sell out of anything. Glad that's all done now until the end of next week. People just need to relax.

Our lass went through a phase of food shopping at M&S.

To be fair, while it's pricey, it's good quality stuff... not that it makes it good value

But they're bastards for putting stuff out with short dates. Sometimes stuff from the fridge goes out of date the next day.

A few years ago my wife's employers lent us their flat in Knightsbridge for a week and gave us £200 for food. We discovered that the M&S just along from Harrods did their yellow-labelling at around 4pm, with massive markdowns. We got all our food from there for under £20.

Where we live now, we have a local M&S. Last year it was competitive with Aldi on prices. Not at all this year. I have a Sparks card, which gives us special offers and occasional freebies. But otherwise we no longer bother. Even the yellow label stuff is expensive.

A few years ago my wife's employers lent us their flat in Knightsbridge for a week and gave us £200 for food. We discovered that the M&S just along from Harrods did their yellow-labelling at around 4pm, with massive markdowns. We got all our food from there for under £20.

Where we live now, we have a local M&S. Last year it was competitive with Aldi on prices. Not at all this year. I have a Sparks card, which gives us special offers and occasional freebies. But otherwise we no longer bother. Even the yellow label stuff is expensive.

We've found that the M&S stores that only do food are significantly cheaper than the ones that have a "Foodhall" in a clothes store.

The food only ones are marginally pricier than the likes of Tesco on some things, but phenomenally dearer on others.

The mixed stores are outrageous on everything.

Some of the basic stuff like bread & milk is the same price as everywhere else.

If you take the turkey example previously posted, it's that it's not just a turkey, it's the added chestnuts, pork & thyme etc. You can just buy a basic turkey for far less elsewhere. And I think a lot of their prepacked stuff is like that. I'm a bit of a fussy eater, so a lot of the m&s stuff isn't for me as its a bit OTT. Not that a really eat ready meal type of stuff for the same reasons.

Some of the basic stuff like bread & milk is the same price as everywhere else.

If you take the turkey example previously posted, it's that it's not just a turkey, it's the added chestnuts, pork & thyme etc. You can just buy a basic turkey for far less elsewhere. And I think a lot of their prepacked stuff is like that. I'm a bit of a fussy eater, so a lot of the m&s stuff isn't for me as its a bit OTT. Not that a really eat ready meal type of stuff for the same reasons.
They're bread is quite cheap actually.
75p or something

I went to both M&S and Sainsburys yesterday. Usually just do M&S but needed some shower gel. The difference in clientele is staggering. Proper scruffbags stinking of baccy in Sainsburys. M&S is worth the extra just for keeping the riff raff out

I paid £170 in morrisons and it fitted into two bags for life
Marks do canny 3 for 2 etc but yeah it's more . I tend to go in with shop cards etc .
Lots of cheap food may well fit your pocket but it's full of crap really .
Similarly I got a £50 Love2Shop card.
You can only send it in person (would have preferred an Amazon one)
After trailing through all of the shop you can use it at, the only blokey place on there is Halfords.
So I'll be off into the boxing day sales to try and pick up some reduced Wera gear if they have any deals on.

I really fancy one of these...

Logon or register to see this image
Use them in currys too .
You should have all those tools separate if you're a proper blerk. I do have a screwdriver bit pack in the kitchen to save a trip to the garage though

Last edited:
I had a 50 quid voucher for M&S , I'd got for being a sycophant at work ;) , spent it this morning in M&S, well actually spent a little bit more, as what I thought was 50 quids worth of Xmas snacks and food etc came to more than 50 quid. How bloody expensive is M&S ? I could've got twice as much for the same price in Aldi or LIDL. It may be better quality it may not be, but howay man , the price of stuff. Place was packed at 730 this morning, full of pretentious types.
It's mainly just packaged nicer,my ganny swears by it and wouldn't dare shop at Asda, Lidl or Aldi,none of that foreign muck🤣so she says. I've caught her out a few times making stuff from these places and she's liked them, but when I've said 'all from Lidl etc' its usually 'i thought it tasted a bit funny'

Anyway we tried it and a basket came to £60🤣, now that's okay if you are on your own but a family of 4 would probably cost twice as much to shop there

Back