Lyle Taylor

It's only a few games. Sure he could get injured for the team he joins aswell. But it's all about money isn't it

of course it’s all about money. Footballers have a very limited shelf life and he’s always been a lower league player - this is absolutely his last chance to secure a big contract that sets his family up for life.

You’d think a forum full of call centre workers and TIG welders would be empathetic towards a fella looking to provide for his family

of course it’s all about money. Footballers have a very limited shelf life and he’s always been a lower league player - this is absolutely his last chance to secure a big contract that sets his family up for life.

You’d think a forum full of call centre workers and TIG welders would be empathetic towards a fella looking to provide for his family
I'm on universal credit m8

They'd pay him until the 30th June when his contract runs out. I guess you could argue that he should play the games between 20th June and 30th June, but then if he's leaving, I can't imagine Charlton want to play him - it would be more beneficial for them to get someone else up to fitness who is going to play all of the run in.
Apparently if a players contract ends on 30th June he is paid an amount (not sure if its full whack) to take him up to end of July. This is to support him whilst he finds a new club (bearing in mind most lower league players don't earn fortunes).

Usually I’d say he was being an arsehole and he’s in the wrong but looking at his career history I can’t imagine hes a multi millionaire or anything.

If he’s looking at life changing sums of money for his next move then you can’t really blame him IMO. I’d do exactly the same and I doubt there’s many on here who wouldn’t either.

Usually I’d say he was being an arsehole and he’s in the wrong but looking at his career history I can’t imagine hes a multi millionaire or anything.

If he’s looking at life changing sums of money for his next move then you can’t really blame him IMO. I’d do exactly the same and I doubt there’s many on here who wouldn’t either.
I very much doubt that most people would refuse to train and play matches because of a fear of an injury. How many players are out of contract June 30, was it around 1400? And how many have you heard will refuse in this manner?

At first I thought he was out of order, but looking at the reasons why it's understandable. It's not like he's refusing to play to get a move, he's out of contract and isn't extending.

I very much doubt that most people would refuse to train and play matches because of a fear of an injury. How many players are out of contract June 30, was it around 1400? And how many have you heard will refuse in this manner?

apparently there’s at least 3 just from Charlton alone.

How many have got a life changing transfer lined up?

Last edited:
Chris Solly has claimed it’s also due to a fear of getting injured so it’s exactly the same..
I've not seen that comment, to be honest, so I'm not to claim that is not the case.
And just to be clear, I have no problem with Taylor not extending his contract, only him refusing to honor the remainder of his contract.

Correct! I'd do exactly the same as most would.

I’m sure Kevin Kyle said he was lined up to move to palace at one point and would have been on 15/20k a week but ended up getting a long term injury and missed out. He was last working as a storeman on a ferry, dunno if he still does that.

just goes to show how fast things can change in what is a short career.

It’s all fine and well when it’s a premier league millionaire but a lot of lower league players are miles off being set for life.

In reality the only side who'll get shafted are Charlton, if his contract is still active until the end of June he's employed by Charlton so he should turn up for training which will put him in a position to be picked for the first 11 when the season returns, however as a club would you want a player around the team who has made it clear he doesn't want to be there and will refuse to play...

Dont think Charlton are making a big thing about of it purely because they're skint and wouldnt be able to give him the kind of contract Taylor or his agent will be after.

Sickening attitude and surely he can't get away with that? What's the difference between saying that now or the end of last season!? Players could just say that around April every season from now on. "Oh I don't fancy playing our last 6 games incase I get injured and can't get a transfer in the summer"

Bollocks. Worlds going mad

It's quite a big difference. Playing a load of games crammed into a shorter period of time (particularly when you're the best player in a team battling relegation so need to be 100% committed) is going to be a lot more damaging on the body. Even more so when they've had 2/3 months off so clearly won't be match fit. We also don't know what sort of pre-season we're going to have before next season, how long the players are going to get to rest and stuff like that. He's out of contract this year and is going to get a bigger move on bigger wages coming towards the end of his career, that wasn't happening last season.

As for the last part, stuff like that happens all the time anyway. One of the reasons Michael Owen's disliked by your lot is something similar isn't it?

I don't agree with what he's doing FWIW, it's an absolute shithouse move on his part. It's understandable though.

Back