Lyle Taylor

Feeble decision really - a relegation endangered club that depends on the one resource above all you provide..

Not having it.

Besides, who's to say he couldn't just as easily injure himself scratching his toe at home.
Look at McGeady's

Many other players in a similar boat.

Unlucky, Addicks.

Apparently his team mates have a 50% wage reduction in their contracts if the club is relegated. You can imagine he is not very popular

He’s more worried about earning an income to look after his family. You can’t blame him for that. Fair play to him

Lyle Taylors putting self interest ahead of the honourable thing to do which would be to help your club survive relegation, a club thats been in turmoil a while, just like us and the lad could be a hero if he does score the goals to help them survive.

Basically next week at least 15 league one teams are going to vote to end the season and some will vote purely on self interest as well which to me is quite similar to what Lyle is doing, hope the media scrutinise the clubs who act the same way as Lyle but they won’t.

If he had just come out and said it was due to being worried about catching covid-19 there would be a lot of ppl actually agreeing with him but his honesty is his undoing.

The whole integrity of football in this country is beyond a joke at the moment with greed behind the majority of it as it always has and will be.

If he was absolutely shite, Charlton would have no problem in releasing him and not extending the contract, just like any other club out there.

Tricky one, if he doesn't want to extend his contract that's fair enough but they might have games before it runs out on 30th June, which I do think he should play. There's a minimal risk of coronavirus given the sheer volume of testing that will be undertaken, I'd imagine it's safer than most other workplace even taking the contact nature into account. If he won't play in games before his contract runs out then I'd be asking him to mutually terminate his contract so that he doesn't get his last few weeks pay and gives up any loyalty payments that might be due on completion

Tricky one, if he doesn't want to extend his contract that's fair enough but they might have games before it runs out on 30th June, which I do think he should play. There's a minimal risk of coronavirus given the sheer volume of testing that will be undertaken, I'd imagine it's safer than most other workplace even taking the contact nature into account. If he won't play in games before his contract runs out then I'd be asking him to mutually terminate his contract so that he doesn't get his last few weeks pay and gives up any loyalty payments that might be due on completion
If he has refused to go into training and participate in any matches between now and the end of his contract, he should be sacked immediately without pay, or rescind his contract. His refusal has nothing to do with Coronavirus concerns, and is all about looking after his future financial interests in the absence of sporting and contractual integrity.

At the end of the day he's a lower league and earlier non league journeyman who will have earned 1-2k a week for most of his career, and maybe 3-4k a week at Charlton.

The rumoured clubs that are interested are Glasgow Rangers and Galatasaray, one of the biggest teams in the Turkish Super League. Turkish Super League isn't the earner it was 5-10 years ago when it was getting older Premier League stars in, but it's still gotta be 15k a week at least for Taylor, maybe pushing above 20-25k. Rangers would also get him at least 10k a week imo.

Also he'd get to play in the Champions/Europa League (not yet confirmed which one Galatasaray will be in next season)

Life changing money for the lad, it's shit for Charlton but I'd do the same in his position

Last edited:
At the end of the day he's a lower league and earlier non league journeyman who will have earned 1-2k a week for most of his career, and maybe 3-4k a week at Charlton.

The rumoured clubs that are interested are Glasgow Rangers and Galatasaray, one of the biggest teams in the Turkish Super League. Turkish Super League isn't the earner it was 5-10 years ago when it was getting older Premier League stars in, but it's still gotta be 15k a week at least for Taylor, maybe pushing above 20-25k. Rangers would also get him at least 10k a week imo.

Also he'd get to play in the Champions/Europa League (not yet confirmed which one Galatasaray will be in next season)

Life changing money for the lad, it's shit for Charlton but I'd do the same in his position
I would but if we’re putting ourselves in other people’s shoes then I’m putting myself in Lionel Messis size fours, bollocks to being a FL journeymen.

Back