Lower league players that never kicked on....?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date

Best player I've seen at league one level was Bradley Dack when he was at Gillingham. Pure class. He's moved up to Blackburn but he's 27 now and I thought he'd be a top Premier league player by now. He's been hampered by injuries too but he definitely had the ability.

From a personal point of view I'd pick my hero Robbie Blake. Technically he was flawless but his fondness for a pint and a fry up stopped him becoming an athlete.

Tom Ince, though he had a couple of failed attempts at the Premiership he looked great in the Championship.

Jonas Bond, England u21 keeper who looked very bright but has never really kicked on, now plays for LA Galaxy.

The one that sticks out for me is Kerrea Gilbert. Had an encouraging start at Arsenal. Spent a very good season on loan to us when we won League One and most were desperate for him to sign permanently.

He was only 22 but barely played again before retiring after short spells with Peterborough and Yeovil.

The one that sticks out for me is Kerrea Gilbert. Had an encouraging start at Arsenal. Spent a very good season on loan to us when we won League One and most were desperate for him to sign permanently.

He was only 22 but barely played again before retiring after short spells with Peterborough and Yeovil.

I remember him but for some reason had it in my head he was much older than he is. Retired at 27 after playing for St Albans City.

Adam Boyd at Pools. Great feet. Got a decent move to Luton £1.2m ish. Couldn’t keep out of the bookies or married couples bed. Allegedly.

Still was decent over fences if needed.

Le Fondre. Unbelievable for Rotherham, got his "big" move to Cardiff/ Reading and just never kicked on. What he did do (as anyone with his kind of level of skill should do) he moved to Sydney and probably enjoyed life living in that fantastic city for a few years.

Luke James, absolutely tore us apart as a young kid for Hartlepool, looked a real promising youngster, signed him three years later, no goals in thirty games, loads of effort but no product. Now at Barrow.

Back