Lower league players that never kicked on....?

• Thread starter Deleted member 45378
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 45378

Name players that have spent all their career outside the top flight who you thought had unfulfilled potential

My 2

Zach clough... Remember him being excellent at Bolton... So much so Notts forest paid 3 million for him. Neil lennon called him a special talent.... Now finds himself released by a league one side in his mid 20s

Daniel Bentley ,he hasn't had a bad career, he has been well liked by the fans of whatever club he has played for and has just been named Bristol city's player of the season But I just think at 27 he should have had international caps or at least played in the top flight. He's done neither.

Name players that have spent all their career outside the top flight who you thought had unfulfilled potential

My 2

Zach clough... Remember him being excellent at Bolton... So much so Notts forest paid 3 million for him. Neil lennon called him a special talent.... Now finds himself released by a league one side in his mid 20s

Daniel Bentley ,he hasn't had a bad career, he has been well liked by the fans of whatever club he has played for and has just been named Bristol city's player of the season But I just think at 27 he should have had international caps or at least played in the top flight. He's done neither.
Vast majority of the Sunderland squad from the last 3 seasons

Vast majority of the Sunderland squad from the last 3 seasons

i guess 'unfulfilled potential' is a fairly low bar like, but i don't agree with that. not many players we've seen over the last 3 years that you'd look at and think they should go on to bigger and better things. with the exception of jon mclaughlin, who has. and josh maja i guess.

i guess 'unfulfilled potential' is a fairly low bar like, but i don't agree with that. not many players we've seen over the last 3 years that you'd look at and think they should go on to bigger and better things. with the exception of jon mclaughlin, who has. and josh maja i guess.
I always thought Baldwin would become a solid Championship player. Obviously lacking something mentally to really kick on.

Last edited:
marcus maddison...

My 2

two greatshouts there

Duncan Watmore had all the potential. I know he suffered serious injuries but he didn’t get anywhere near where he should have

Mo Eisa hasn’t done much, thought he’d play regularly and progress.
Maddison obviously extremely talented but perhaps just not suited to professional football.
Bright Enobokhare- looked potentially at least championship standard and playing for Indian club.

Back