Lou's Fine Ales and Beers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Supermarkets are getting worse by the day for real ale. There’s places I’ve been have halved their shelf space recently.

What Tesco’s? Newcastle Road? Never noticed that before. Blueberry would exactly appeal, but I’ll try all the stouts & poters on the go regardless.

Aye Newcastle Road. I recommend the Vocation Love and Hate anarl. It’s a hazy IPA so may not be your thing but it’s 7.2% and very drinkable.

In reply to DM I’m not a fan of saisons, fruit beers etc so a few different “premium” IPA’s like the Vocation, Thornbridge Jaipur and even some of the Brewdog stuff is fine for me. I’d like more stouts and porters but I just don’t think they’re popular enough to get shelf space so I’m resigned to just getting stuff like Northern Monk, Anchor Porter etc in Newcastle periodically when I’m through there. Lou’s was great at first but then the stout offering moved away from 5% ish session stuff to 10% and above imperial stouts at £6+ and they aren’t really my thing. Might buy the odd one but wouldn’t spend £20 on 3 different bottles at that price. Selection and opening times have put me off going back recently.

Aye Newcastle Road. I recommend the Vocation Love and Hate anarl. It’s a hazy IPA so may not be your thing but it’s 7.2% and very drinkable.

In reply to DM I’m not a fan of saisons, fruit beers etc so a few different “premium” IPA’s like the Vocation, Thornbridge Jaipur and even some of the Brewdog stuff is fine for me. I’d like more stouts and porters but I just don’t think they’re popular enough to get shelf space so I’m resigned to just getting stuff like Northern Monk, Anchor Porter etc in Newcastle periodically when I’m through there. Lou’s was great at first but then the stout offering moved away from 5% ish session stuff to 10% and above imperial stouts at £6+ and they aren’t really my thing. Might buy the odd one but wouldn’t spend £20 on 3 different bottles at that price. Selection and opening times have put me off going back recently.
Need to pop in after work so I’ll pick them up. Cheers.

I stopped going through a while back. Seemed to never be opening on time. Or I was just unlucky every time I go though.

I go through The Hop Knocker at Gikesgate nowadays. Shame as was always happy to give the shop my business as they got decent stuff in

I stopped going through a while back. Seemed to never be opening on time. Or I was just unlucky every time I go though.

I go through The Hop Knocker at Gikesgate nowadays. Shame as was always happy to give the shop my business as they got decent stuff in

Stopped going as well.
Just found the beers they were getting in not my bag.
I know stouts and porters etc are popular on here but not that keen.
The session or other real ales weren't that extensive and a bit pricey.

Shame as it's very local and would prefer to spend money there

Stopped going as well.

Was taking 25minutes for me to get there so wasn’t worth risking it. Can get to Gilesgate in 10 minutes so works out better really for me

hopefully @muggboots can give us an update, not sure if the opening hours have changed?
He's having an easy month in lieu of a proper holiday. With dry January, people's diets and everybody's skint factor until the end of the month it's usually desperate anyway. :lol:

Stopped going as well.

Request away mate. I'll forward them on. It's always appreciated as it can be hard to keep up. :lol:

Last edited:
He's having an easy month in lieu of a proper holiday. With dry January, people's diets and everybody's skint factor until the end of the month it's usually desperate anyway. :lol:

Request away mate. I'll forward them on. It's always appreciated as it can be hard to keep up. :lol:
Get moving onto a sea road shop

Remember asking for Moorhouses before...to be fair the lad said he couldn’t get the likes of that at any sort of decent price.
Spar were knocking it out at £5 for three bottles ( 500ml)

Lad at work retiring shortly and I’m after half a dozen different Belgian fruity beers( think they’re f***ing vile personally)
So might have a dodge in as I know this is often the type in stock

Been tonight. Shelves empty. Do not waste your time going.
Very disappointing as I was an early adopter of this place and used to sing it’s praises.

Remember asking for Moorhouses before...to be fair the lad said he couldn’t get the likes of that at any sort of decent price.
Spar were knocking it out at £5 for three bottles ( 500ml)

Lad at work retiring shortly and I’m after half a dozen different Belgian fruity beers( think they’re f***ing vile personally)
So might have a dodge in as I know this is often the type in stock
That's a massive problem for shops like his. The supermarkets and chains are massively discounting, they're also ripping off the breweries but they go along with it for market penetration, at least for a while.
Give me a reminder when you're going in and I'll tell you what's in.

That's a massive problem for shops like his. The supermarkets and chains are massively discounting, they're also ripping off the breweries but they go along with it for market penetration, at least for a while.
Give me a reminder when you're going in and I'll tell you what's in.
Is there another shop in the pipeline still

cheers mate.

it's hard like, cuz obviously that makes total business sense but you cant really just have random breaks as once you've gone to the trouble of going there to find the place is shut once or twice you'll just stop going. i guess i should learn to always check facebook or here before going, but when it becomes that much effort ( i appreciate it doesn't sound alot of effort) you just kind of drift away from it.

i'm looking forward to it being up sea road, much easier. although saying that, then i'd be walk ing instead of driving so if i went for a half hour round trip on foot in the bastard cold to find it shut i'd be f***ing livid. luckily could drown me sorrows easy enough in one of afew pubs on the route :lol:

cheers mate.

it's hard like, cuz obviously that makes total business sense but you cant really just have random breaks as once you've gone to the trouble of going there to find the place is shut once or twice you'll just stop going. i guess i should learn to always check facebook or here before going, but when it becomes that much effort ( i appreciate it doesn't sound alot of effort) you just kind of drift away from it.

i'm looking forward to it being up sea road, much easier. although saying that, then i'd be walk ing instead of driving so if i went for a half hour round trip on foot in the bastard cold to find it shut i'd be f***ing livid. luckily could drown me sorrows easy enough in one of afew pubs on the route :lol:

I went a couple of times and found them shut. Not on Facebook either so not like I can check. Sea Road would be handier but the selection has been average last couple of times. Shame like....

I sampled a fair few beers in the US on holiday last summer. Always try something different here too so I appreciate the variety available. Most of the big silo beers and lagers are poor on taste but obviously very cheap to produce. However, across all the beers I've sampled I always come back to classics like Landlord and London Pride.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back