Looks like I was right about Brexit causing problems for UK football

Status
Not open for further replies.

yeah its a disaster. Thats why we have unemployment at a 40 year low

Underemployment is the problem, work 1 hour and you are employed, massages the figures, full time work now 16 hours. Then there are many other ways such as sanctions, useless courses. Then again leave brigade are open to anything but the truth. There is only one thing they are more terrified of - a second referendum.

Underemployment is the problem, work 1 hour and you are employed, massages the figures, full time work now 16 hours. Then there are many other ways such as sanctions, useless courses. Then again leave brigade are open to anything but the truth. There is only one thing they are more terrified of - a second referendum.

I have similar doubts over the employment figures. When I worked in retail, which uses a lot of part time workers (inevitable, given daily fluctuations in footfall - you don't need the same number of staff on weekdays as weekends), a key measure was full time equivalents, in other words expressing your employment total in terms of the number of full time employees you'd need to get the same numbers of hours. So someone working, say, 20 hours, would be classed as 0.5 of an employee, if the standard working week was 40 hours. Quite how you work out an FTE for zero-hours workers is a new difficulty, but empirical evidence suggest that something between 0.3 and 0.4 FTE would be realistic.

One trick Corbyn has consistently missed is asking May for a comparison at FTE in 2010 with FTE now. My suspicion is that it's actually lower. The other key indicator is median wage. This has actually reduced, meaning that, even if more people are in work, they are in general earning less. This trend is likely continue once the right wing get their desire to "take back control". What most people haven't realised that what they mean by this is being able to take an axe to employment, environmental and safety standards once EU directives don't apply. May may claim to want to protect this, but it's accepted that no government can bind its successors should they wish to repeal those protections in future.

I have similar doubts over the employment figures. When I worked in retail, which uses a lot of part time workers (inevitable, given daily fluctuations in footfall - you don't need the same number of staff on weekdays as weekends), a key measure was full time equivalents, in other words expressing your employment total in terms of the number of full time employees you'd need to get the same numbers of hours. So someone working, say, 20 hours, would be classed as 0.5 of an employee, if the standard working week was 40 hours. Quite how you work out an FTE for zero-hours workers is a new difficulty, but empirical evidence suggest that something between 0.3 and 0.4 FTE would be realistic.

One trick Corbyn has consistently missed is asking May for a comparison at FTE in 2010 with FTE now. My suspicion is that it's actually lower. The other key indicator is median wage. This has actually reduced, meaning that, even if more people are in work, they are in general earning less. This trend is likely continue once the right wing get their desire to "take back control". What most people haven't realised that what they mean by this is being able to take an axe to employment, environmental and safety standards once EU directives don't apply. May may claim to want to protect this, but it's accepted that no government can bind its successors should they wish to repeal those protections in future.

Agree with your comments regarding employment statistics Grumps,....and to add that a lot of it had its' beginnings during the Blair era......but not with your comments on taking back control. I don't think there would be an "axe" taken,as no-one is going to get away with lowering standards in that way. I think it's more likely to be a minor cull of over-zealous EU directives which rail against what many regard as common sense. Mind you,that is determinant on us getting some competent and effective leadership.....something we are sadly lacking amongst the current crop!
By the way,how's the health? Good to see you up and at it!

You mirror my thoughts exactly. I do know instances where one person working what honest people would call full time, left their jobs and been replaced by three on part tie work. I personally was never in any doubt about what the right meant by taking back control. As Priti Patel said, she can't wait to build a bonfire with our rights. Wait till holiday entitlements are cut to USA levels, two weeks a year. This will never be over. Some people are push overs. Corbyn has failed badly as leader of the opposition, he has repeatedly let May off the hook, hopeless and I don't like to say that.

Last edited:
Agree with your comments regarding employment statistics Grumps,....and to add that a lot of it had its' beginnings during the Blair era......but not with your comments on taking back control. I don't think there would be an "axe" taken,as no-one is going to get away with lowering standards in that way. I think it's more likely to be a minor cull of over-zealous EU directives which rail against what many regard as common sense. Mind you,that is determinant on us getting some competent and effective leadership.....something we are sadly lacking amongst the current crop!
By the way,how's the health? Good to see you up and at it!

Much better, thank you. My right shoulder still needs a bit more development - it gets sore if I'm in certain sitting positions or working at a keyboard for too long, but otherwise things are pretty normal. I need to build a bit more stamina, but I was at Wembley, and will be at my first game since on Friday. The last MRI scan results were very encouraging, and suggest a low risk of his ever happening again.

Much better, thank you. My right shoulder still needs a bit more development - it gets sore if I'm in certain sitting positions or working at a keyboard for too long, but otherwise things are pretty normal. I need to build a bit more stamina, but I was at Wembley, and will be at my first game since on Friday. The last MRI scan results were very encouraging, and suggest a low risk of his ever happening again.

Good man....pleased to hear. I always enjoy your posts but,......stay off the keyboard!! ;)

Deary me. I hope that's a bite mind.

go on to the politics board and you'll find them all there - weeping and wailing all over their keyboards.
I’ve never heard anyone wail so much as you this last couple of days :lol: ‘we don’t belong in this division, everyone’s being really nasty to us’ :oops: what a soft shite you are

Will make the inequality even worse as the top teams will recruit the eligible players leaving teams like us fucked. Could burst the sky TV bubble too imho. Without the worlds best players then why would Sky bid its billions next time the deal comes round?

Brexit could have 'hugely damaging' effect on football clubs, say chairmen
would be good for both our clubs in a way, the less money Sky pup in the more bigger crowds and gate receipts will count for anything

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back