Looks like I was right about Brexit causing problems for UK football

This.... The EU have tried to make it hard as possible to leave because (a) they need our cash (b) To frighten off any other European voters also wanting out. Once we leave expect Italy & France to go on red alert..
Exactly! Isn't it funny that since Brexit our economy is on the up whilst Germany and France are in decline hmmmm. You don't see news of that on the BBC.

Still waiting for the 5m Turks that were going to come when Turkey was admitted to the EU straight after the referendum. Probably because that was another lie from the odious Farage (whose obvious French ancestry seems to be overlooked).

I'm still waiting to find out where your good friend David Cameron is hiding after he threatend the electorate with world war 3 if we voted to leave,

Not to mention the other pack of lies your lot sent to every household address in the UK in the shape of a leaflet.

I still see pictures of those rampaging hordes coming in from Europe to murder us in our beds.

Just look at the population projections for Africa and you'll be wetting your bed.

Many will be looking to the Med for the Shangri-La that is Europe …..why wouldn't they?

(….and of course, once they get there, they will be too ashamed to admit their mistake.)

Last edited:
I'm still waiting to find out where your good friend David Cameron is hiding after he threatend the electorate with world war 3 if we voted to leave,

Not to mention the other pack of lies your lot sent to every household address in the UK in the shape of a leaflet.

David Cameron is a spineless idiot. Greater love hath no man than he lay down his country for his party. For the record, I have numerous Dutch relatives, speak fluent French. and consider myself as much a European as an Englishman. Our biggest mistake post-war was not getting involved in the ESSC in 1952.

David Cameron is a spineless idiot. Greater love hath no man than he lay down his country for his party. For the record, I have numerous Dutch relatives, speak fluent French. and consider myself as much a European as an Englishman. Our biggest mistake post-war was not getting involved in the ESSC in 1952.

I consider myself a European also,

But I don't feel the need to be part of a dodgy political union with unelected cranks like Juncker at the helm.

Just look at the population projections for Africa and you'll be wetting your bed.

Many will be looking to the Med for the Shangri-La that is Europe …..why wouldn't they?

(….and of course, once they get there, they will be too ashamed to admit their mistake.)
"Projections"
projection definition: 1. a calculation or guess about the future based on information that you have: 2. the act of projecting a film or an image onto a screen or wall ...

Err...according to Peter Coates that is...'Stoke chairman Coates, whose family's Bet365 Group contributed £250,000 to the Remain campaign before the 2016 referendum' :) :)

Still waiting for the 5m Turks that were going to come when Turkey was admitted to the EU straight after the referendum. Probably because that was another lie from the odious Farage (whose obvious French ancestry seems to be overlooked).

But we (ultimately the tax payers) put in a couple of billion of the billions put in to the EU 'Turkish transition fund' ?!?! If there wasn't a serious chance the Turks could join then what was that money for ? Either it was a serious possibility or alternatively it highlights the massive waste going on due to the bloated EU machine! Which is it ?

Last edited:
Err...according to Peter Coates that is...'Stoke chairman Coates, whose family's Bet365 Group contributed £250,000 to the Remain campaign before the 2016 referendum' :) :)

But we (ultimately the tax payers) put in a couple of billion of the billions put in to the EU 'Turkish transition fund' ?!?! If there wasn't a serious chance the Turks could join then what was that money for ? Either it was a serious possibility or alternatively it highlights the massive waste going on due to the bloated EU machine! Which is it ?

Wrong. Those were speculative figures from 2015, based on the likely possible transitions payments to Turkey (amounting to around 0.2% of EU GDP). This would become payable only on Turkish accession, and assumes that happening on broadly the same basis as on the accession of Romania and Bulgaria. Of course, Turkey did not accede, and these payments may in fact never happen. EU leaders since debated the possibility of reduced amounts in any case. The speculative figures are here http://aei.pitt.edu/6760/1/1148_06.pdf. The transition payments are part of the normal reshuffling of the EU budget consequent on any expansion, or at the end of each 7 year budget cycle. What Britain should be doing is playing a key role in reforming the EU from within. Outside, we remain, as US Secretary of State Dean Acheson observed in 1961 "A country which has lost an Empire, but has yet to find a role".

Wrong. Those were speculative figures from 2015, based on the likely possible transitions payments to Turkey (amounting to around 0.2% of EU GDP). This would become payable only on Turkish accession, and assumes that happening on broadly the same basis as on the accession of Romania and Bulgaria. Of course, Turkey did not accede, and these payments may in fact never happen. EU leaders since debated the possibility of reduced amounts in any case. The speculative figures are here http://aei.pitt.edu/6760/1/1148_06.pdf. The transition payments are part of the normal reshuffling of the EU budget consequent on any expansion, or at the end of each 7 year budget cycle. What Britain should be doing is playing a key role in reforming the EU from within. Outside, we remain, as US Secretary of State Dean Acheson observed in 1961 "A country which has lost an Empire, but has yet to find a role".

Cheers for the info.

This document seems to imply money has been spent on this project:-

https://www.eca.europa.eu/Lists/ECADocuments/SR18_07/SR_TURKEY_EN.pdf

It's not the actual amounts etc that particularly bother me but it was obviously on the agenda for Turkey to join the EU at some point, so not exactly a total fabrication from Farage. After all if he doesn't mention it as a possibility nobody else is going to.

I love how remoaners always say “we should be reforming the EU from within”.

The EU does not want to reform. :lol: Get it through ya heads. The lack of any reform was probably one of the driving factors in Brexit.

Cheers for the info.

This document seems to imply money has been spent on this project:-

https://www.eca.europa.eu/Lists/ECADocuments/SR18_07/SR_TURKEY_EN.pdf

It's not the actual amounts etc that particularly bother me but it was obviously on the agenda for Turkey to join the EU at some point, so not exactly a total fabrication from Farage. After all if he doesn't mention it as a possibility nobody else is going to.

The problem was the emotive advert suggesting the imminent arrival of hordes of Turks, at a time when Erdogan's increasingly erratic behaviour was making Turkish accession less, rather than more, likely. The only reason we've ever had a problem with free movement is the failure of governments of both shades to take advantage of restrictions which have always been there; something which other EU countries like France and Germany have been rather more willing to do.

I love how remoaners always say “we should be reforming the EU from within”.

The EU does not want to reform. :lol: Get it through ya heads. The lack of any reform was probably one of the driving factors in Brexit.

Fuck off man, as if the vast majority of the electorate on either side has a clue what problems exist within the EU, let alone what reforms are needed. Out of interest what do you see as the major problems and what would your reform solutions be?

Note to self, never open a brexit thread on the SMB.

Fair play @Grumpy Old Man for fighting the corner.

How the right wing managed to weaponise the working class (against their own interests) to push their agenda is an amazing feat.

Yes but the difference now is we will not be able to get the second tier of available players from 27 countries as they will not be eligible to play.....This means we will have to buy the poorer UK based players which will bump the price and we will end up paying top dollar for shite players when we could have had quality from the EU at a fraction of the cost.....This has the potential to kill the Premiership as a commercial entity (not hugely bothered about that) but could result in scores of clubs going bankrupt as they will potentially be plunged into millions and millions of debt as TV money dries up and players are still on massive long and expensive contracts....It will be like our demise on steroids.

Yeah because buying 'quality' from Europe at a fraction of the cost has worked f***ing wonders for us hasn't it? What about the Didier Ndong's of this world who are blocking the path to the first team of a young home player, because his manager want to justify spending 13m on him? There's as much of that about as there is quality on the cheap from Europe.

Everytime the TV rights come up people and clubs shit theirselves thinking this or that will burst the bubble, then BT, Sky, BBC, foreign companies come along and blow the previous deal out of the water because the benefits world wide are enormous, because people want to watch and that isn't just because of foreign players. Nothing will change short term, so this isn't going to happen this way. Also If the plug was pulled so to speak on the TV deal this would happen anyway.

Yeah because buying 'quality' from Europe at a fraction of the cost has worked f***ing wonders for us hasn't it? What about the Didier Ndong's of this world who are blocking the path to the first team of a young home player, because his manager want to justify spending 13m on him? There's as much of that about as there is quality on the cheap from Europe.

Everytime the TV rights come up people and clubs shit theirselves thinking this or that will burst the bubble, then BT, Sky, BBC, foreign companies come along and blow the previous deal out of the water because the benefits world wide are enormous, because people want to watch and that isn't just because of foreign players. Nothing will change short term, so this isn't going to happen this way. Also If the plug was pulled so to speak on the TV deal this would happen anyway.

We had options to get some great players extremely cheaply from abroad (Alonso, M'villa etc)......Sadly we let them go and bought complete turd instead for vastly inflated prices.

Back