Local league cricket

Of course, I agree the majority is better for clubs as long as it is acheiveable.

The money, the volunteers and most importantly the participation is not there to achieve everything that is required.

That is why more flexibility is needed not more criteria, to me it's not about comparing the two leagues.

It's the fact that the current top league is asking for things that long term in the current climate clubs will be unable to achieve.

Sunday thirds for example is unnecessary.

Sunday 3rds encourages/ requires juniors and making them mandatory has probably forced the creation of several extra XIs. It's a good rule.

So why did you?

It’s a fantastic breeding ground for youngsters looking to make the step up to senior cricket.

Because I think one league that disagrees and criticises another for not letting a team progress, to then put in a criteria that could possibly mean a team cannot progress to their league is double standards, whoever them leagues maybe.

Sunday 3rds encourages/ requires juniors and making them mandatory has probably forced the creation of several extra XIs. It's a good rule.

I disagree, that a club could work really hard to have a first team, second team and juniors, but will not be allowed in a league because they cannot find enough players to play on a Sunday afternoon for third team cricket, especially in this day and age with participation at a low ebb.

Its the lack of numbers that's the key point here, of course in a ideal world a lot of these are good, but when numbers drop considerably that's the time to change them

So why did you?

It’s a fantastic breeding ground for youngsters looking to make the step up to senior cricket.

Don't think anybody will disagree with that, of course you are right.

However this should be optional not mandatory, I am not sure why making it mandatory will all of a sudden get enough players.

It could actually punish some clubs or stop them progressing because not enough players to get 3 teams out.

Last edited:
Let's try and move on from dsl nepl debate. Lots of faults in both set ups. In terms of moving forward my personal view is mega clubs like hlcc and clscc whilst doing amazing work with juniors etc are preventing competition at a junior and 2nd xi level. I don't want these clubs to stop what they are doing but we may end up with junior leagues of 4 Or 5 teams in total. How about restricting clubs to school area recruitment would this help??
Outside junior cricket the players who jump clubs year on year following money or status need to be stopped. Could 2 year stipulations be brought in. This may stop downward spiral of some clubs as some players if they stayed would ensure promotion next year. Those who played at a decent level will understand this.
Also whilst on soapbox how do we stop old dsl dcl average cricketers getting paid and sucking money our of junior cricket that's a huge problem for me

In fairness, the majority of that is for the better of the clubs - things like good financial structure, top playing/changing facilities, junior set up etc. It is all to benefit clubs long term and to provide the best competitive cricket that they can promote.

Granted things like electric scoreboards are a bit mad but overall the two leagues are chalk and cheese:

The Senior League was elitist, the NEPL merely wishes to be elite.

The senior league was not elitist. There were no stupid titles like director of coaching or players ponsing about in track suits. Just a good standard of entertaining cricket played by players with an affiliation to their local villages.
Players joined their home club or if they couldn't get in the team the next village . They didn't ponse around thinking which club has clubmark status or the best junior structure.

The senior league was not elitist. There were no stupid titles like director of coaching or players ponsing about in track suits. Just a good standard of entertaining cricket played by players with an affiliation to their local villages.
Players joined their home club or if they couldn't get in the team the next village . They didn't ponse around thinking which club has clubmark status or the best junior structure.

So it’s tracksuits you’re against is it? Or poncing around?

Never met a player yet that worried about a club having club mark when making a decision to sign

Let's try and move on from dsl nepl debate. Lots of faults in both set ups. In terms of moving forward my personal view is mega clubs like hlcc and clscc whilst doing amazing work with juniors etc are preventing competition at a junior and 2nd xi level. I don't want these clubs to stop what they are doing but we may end up with junior leagues of 4 Or 5 teams in total. How about restricting clubs to school area recruitment would this help??
Outside junior cricket the players who jump clubs year on year following money or status need to be stopped. Could 2 year stipulations be brought in. This may stop downward spiral of some clubs as some players if they stayed would ensure promotion next year. Those who played at a decent level will understand this.
Also whilst on soapbox how do we stop old dsl dcl average cricketers getting paid and sucking money our of junior cricket that's a huge problem for me
I certainly agree certain clubs should be assigned certain schools, with each club being given schools based on size and set up etc. So for example a club like rainton could get two. Eppleton 5. With the best players then moving to higher standard academies to progress them.

What I am against is a very effective league structure which had been effective for over 100 years being destroyed by an entity that was and is only concerned for themselves.
It must have been attractive enough to entice clubs to join in the first place.

Clubs think of themselves first and rightly so. If the DSL was so good I wonder why so many decided to jump ship in the 90's and then again when NEPL1 was formed. If you ask the clubs in question I'm sure they wanted progression and not just tradition.

1 big problem That I agree with is money being thrown at average players can't be sustained. It happened in the DSL but not at the scale of today

What I am against is a very effective league structure which had been effective for over 100 years being destroyed by an entity that was and is only concerned for themselves.

In actual fact it was a league structure that was only concerned for itself that was destroyed by a more 'senior' organisation.

If the 'oh so powerful' DSL committee had seen the bigger picture, instead of wanting to retain their closed shop, there might have been a much more harmonious move to the pyramid system.

A system which is in use all over the country.

In actual fact it was a league structure that was only concerned for itself that was destroyed by a more 'senior' organisation.

If the 'oh so powerful' DSL committee had seen the bigger picture, instead of wanting to retain their closed shop, there might have been a much more harmonious move to the pyramid system.

To be fair to the committee it was the clubs who voted for decisions, the committee just made proposals.

The problem I thought that the people representing the clubs weren't clued up to the times and were representing their clubs past history and not the players who were currently playing.

Totally agree things may have been so much better had clubs reps listened instead of trying to block progress

To be fair to the committee it was the clubs who voted for decisions, the committee just made proposals

Fair enough, but who voted at club level. Did they involve the players and members or was it just the committee ?

My experience of the DSL committee, albeit 10 or so years ago, was that they thought they were an elite club and mostly out of touch with modern cricketers.

This is one of the things that fills in my time in the run up to the new season. Which club certain cricketers will sign for next? For some players there aren't that many clubs left at the level that would pay them, that they haven't already played for

They saw the bigger picture alright. I remember speaking to our club representatives and they all said that they were concerned at the influence people like Geoff Cooke were having on the DSL and that there were people of influence who were only concerned with the County and not local cricket. The predictions they made at the time that the preoccupation of some influentiual individuals with the County would lead to the decline of local cricket have proved very accurate.

The irony of this post is f***ing marvellous :lol:

No irony at all the Durham Senior League were concerned with their clubs. The people concerned with setting up the pyramid system in the NE were totally preoccupied with the County and as a result club cricket has markedly declined as many predicted it would at the time.

To be fair to the committee it was the clubs who voted for decisions, the committee just made proposals.

The problem I thought that the people representing the clubs weren't clued up to the times and were representing their clubs past history and not the players who were currently playing.

Totally agree things may have been so much better had clubs reps listened instead of trying to block progress

They werent blocking progress. Many of the reps I spoke to were expressing views such as why is Geoff Cooke interfering in our league.?
The pedictions they made at the time have been reamrkably accurate. Many of them expressed the view that were influential people trying to interfere with the league who were solely pre-occupied with the County and that would lead to the decline of club cricket with many clubs going to the wall.
They have been proved totally right. I have spoken to some since who expressed the view that they have no sympathy with the plight of Durham as they were responsible for destroying club cricket in the region.

Last edited:

Back