Local league cricket

No comment! ;)

Was shocked about Silksworth too - pitch was a bit of a shocker. Might have just got it on a bad day though - tea was superb though!
nah silky has been shite for years - i played most of my junior cricket there and some 3rd team before i ended up at littletown.

Hope they dont go down though as its always been my local club.

nah silky has been shite for years

True, and i think it was deliberately left under prepared (posh lingo for shite) so it became a 'result' wicket.

Even in their heyday of the early 90's they'd happily lose a couple of home games by being skittled on a dodgy track, while winning the rest because of their paid players were used to playing attacking cricket, despite the surface.

Meanwhile other teams battled away for draws and subsequently picked up less points.

If it was dodgy in the 90s, god knows what it's like now .....a minefield ?

Possibly because the best teams in Durham are in the NEPL?

There is only about 5 good teams in that league. A strong senior league from the 90s would have beaten most of the them.

I think standard in NEPL is as good if not better than the DSL hayday (particularly when u take overseas pros out of the equation) however as my OP said it is 2nd team and junior levels (obviously linked as strong juniors always lead to strong 2nd XI) is where the problem is. This view seems to be the consensus however coming up with a solution is no easy task. It is not just a NE phenomenon and the ECB definitely need to take a long hard look at themselves. I think some of the leagues moving 2nd XI fixtures to Sunday’s would be a good idea, particularly (for teams who struggle with numbers) if some players who played on Saturday could double up, limit this to a maximum of 2. Some players would do this particularly those who say bat 8 in firsts and bowl a couple of overs, the option to do a bit more on the Sunday would appeal to them, this in my opinion would ensure full teams are fielded and more competitive games take place

Why would you take overseas pros out of the equation? They were part of any good senior league team and resulted in large crowds watching the match

The difference nowadays is you have about 4 or 5 good premier league teams and nothing else.
You had many good Durham Senior league teams and strong North Yorkshire and south Durham and Tyneside senior league teams and even strong coast league and county league teams.
The premier league has scuppered all that.

Last edited:
It's hard to compare as Durham didn't have first class status so many more good players didn't go to first class. Since the late 90's decent youngsters have went on to play for Durham and other counties and side stepped local league cricket.

I would say the last 10 years of the DSL was poor and the current NEPL is miles better. Name an easy game in the top league Now??? All can win in a one off game as all have a match winner or two

There is only about 5 good teams in that league. A strong senior league from the 90s would have beaten most of the them.

Why would you take overseas pros out of the equation? They were part of any good senior league team and resulted in large crowds watching the match

The difference nowadays is you have about 4 or 5 good premier league teams and nothing else.
You had many good Durham Senior league teams and strong North Yorkshire and south Durham and Tyneside senior league teams and even strong coast league and county league teams.
The premier league has scuppered all that.
I am a massive fan of senior league played 90% of my cricket there at a time when league was at its peak for me (late 80s early 90s). I only brought overseas into it as it’s unfair in nedl because due to international cricket they could never sign a jimmy Adams for example. There were some very good dsl teams with lots of good players and there were some who in the main reached a good standard due to pro.
Felling struggling in nedl but add a parry, Richardson or Adams to their team and I’m sure there would be a massive improvement as those pros improved the players around them. My team phili struggled in late 80s and 90s. Signed Ridley Jacobs and they reached a couple of cup finals he left the following season and team struggled again. When senior league was in its pomp did they really have more than 4 or 5 good teams in any one season I don’t think so
Again I loved the dsl, and remember those times with great fondness, but as I get older I can see some of its failings

Last edited:
I am a massive fan of senior league played 90% of my cricket there at a time when league was at its peak for me (early 90s). I only brought overseas into it as it’s unfair in nedl because due to international cricket they could never sign a jimmy Adams for example. There were some very good dsl teams with lots of good players and there were some who in the main reached a good standard due to pro.
Felling struggling in nedl put add a parry, Richardson or Adams to their team and I’m sure there would be a massive improvement as those pros improved the players around them. My team phili struggles in late 80s and 90s. Signed Ridley Jacobs and they reached a couple of cup finals he left the following season and team struggled again. When senior league was in its pomp did they really have more than 4 or 5 good teams in any one season I don’t think so
Again I loved the dsl, and remember those times with great fondness, but as I get older I can see some of its failings
The current NEPL is split into 2 leagues at present with top 6 safe and bottom 6 all within a win of each other. Very close indeed

The last 10 years of the DSL saw the same winner and the same bottom 4 year in year out. At least now with promotion and relegation it's all to play for.

If the DSL had promotion and relegation half the teams would have disappeared down the leagues years ago

The current NEPL is split into 2 leagues at present with top 6 safe and bottom 6 all within a win of each other. Very close indeed

The last 10 years of the DSL saw the same winner and the same bottom 4 year in year out. At least now with promotion and relegation it's all to play for.

If the DSL had promotion and relegation half the teams would have disappeared down the leagues years ago

First time I have agreed with you and thats why they were right not to do so. They protected their clubs allowed them to improve and come again.
A team like Horden for example regularly finished in the bottom 2 in the 70s. But due to an excellent crop of juniors and members working to develop a prosperous bar which funded excellent professionals they won the League several times in the late 80s and the 90s and developed into one of the best cup sides in the area.

If they had been relegated to the lower leagues would they have attracted the youngsters who formed the backbone of their successful teams of the 80s and 90s?
I suggest they clearly wouldnt -these local youngsters would ha.ve went to teams playing a higher grade of cricket and the team could well have folded.

And the Senior League did not have the same winner in the last 10 years. Burnmoor and Horden both won the league during this period.

18 years of Premier League cricket. South Northumberland have won 11 yes thats right 11 times. Chester has won 4 times. So for 15 out of 18years there have been 2 winners. Very close.

Last edited:
First time I have agreed with you and thats why they were right not to do so. They protected their clubs allowed them to improve and come again.
A team like Horden for example regularly finished in the bottom 2 in the 70s. But due to an excellent crop of juniors and members working to develop a prosperous bar which funded excellent professionals they won the League several times in the late 80s and the 90s and developed into one of the best cup sides in the area.

If they had been relegated to the lower leagues would they have attracted the youngsters who formed the backbone of their successful teams of the 80s and 90s?
I suggest they clearly wouldnt -these local youngsters would ha.ve went to teams playing a higher grade of cricket and the team could well have folded.

And the Senior League did not have the same winner in the last 10 years. Burnmoor and Horden both won the league during this period.

18 years of Premier League cricket. South Northumberland have won 11 yes thats right 11 times. Chester has won 4 times. So for 15 out of 18years there have been 2 winners. Very close.

But why should a club finishing bottom not be relegated? They deserve to be bottom so why shouldnt another ub be allowed a chance to shine?

Burnmoor 8 out of 10, paid out a fortune and choose to play in a weaker league which they knew they would win. Burnmoor could have competee with South North and Chester on paper but chose to play against the 2nd tier reallt.

The no relegation came back to haunt the DSL and was the reason why the NEPL1 was formed. Shame as I loved the DSL and wish it was still around but some bad choices by member clubs resulted in its downfall

But back to the topic, how do we ensure there is enough players to protect North East Cricket

True, and i think it was deliberately left under prepared (posh lingo for shite) so it became a 'result' wicket.

Even in their heyday of the early 90's they'd happily lose a couple of home games by being skittled on a dodgy track, while winning the rest because of their paid players were used to playing attacking cricket, despite the surface.

Meanwhile other teams battled away for draws and subsequently picked up less points.

If it was dodgy in the 90s, god knows what it's like now .....a minefield ?

i think in all honesty they are doing the best they can with what they have. Its never been brilliant (been hit a few times in the bracket on there as a junior). Outfield was a bit dodgy last week when we played there - way more bumpy than i remember it!

Burnmoor 8 out of 10, paid out a fortune and choose to play in a weaker league which they knew they would win. Burnmoor could have competee with South North and Chester on paper but chose to play against the 2nd tier reallt.

The no relegation came back to haunt the DSL and was the reason why the NEPL1 was formed. Shame as I loved the DSL and wish it was still around but some bad choices by member clubs resulted in its downfall

But back to the topic, how do we ensure there is enough players to protect North East Cricket

You really need to get your facts right . Burnmoor only won the League 6 times in the last 13 years.
Horden won at last 3 times 2000, 2001 and 2003

You really need to get your facts right . Burnmoor only won the League 6 times in the last 13 years.
Horden won at last 3 times 2000, 2001 and 2003

The final season of the DSL was 2012. Meaning Horden won it once out of the last 10 years of the league. I'm not sure how many times Burnmoor won it but you can't include 2000 and 2001 whilst debating the final 10 years of the league.

But why should a club finishing bottom not be relegated? They deserve to be bottom so why shouldnt another ub be allowed a chance to shine?

I have given you an excellent reason why not. A team that finished in the bottom 2 for several years went on to develop into one of the best teams in the area. Every chance this would not have happened had relegation been in force. The DSL protected its clubs and enabled them to prosper.

I have given you an excellent reason why not. A team that finished in the bottom 2 for several years went on to develop into one of the best teams in the area. Every chance this would not have happened had relegation been in force. The DSL protected its clubs and enabled them to prosper.
So clubs with ambitions to better themselves further down the league should just be content to wait because a club might bounce back and become competitive? That's simply unfair.

Sorry but once again thats a load of old shit. Its a league thinking they are better than others and protecting them from allowing other clubs a go.

Fuck the DSL

We should thank the DSL for removing the relegation of Durham City. Without that the NEPL1 wouldn't have been formed then the combined Durham League.

There was little movement in the DSL days as few winners wanted promotion. Now everyone is playing for something whether they are at the top or the bottom end of the league.

For me the overall structure is 100% better and we must thank the 12 DSL clubs for that

It’s not a excellent reason it’s a ridiculous reason,.

What you are saying is don’t relegate a team just in case they turn out to be good in ten years or soo.

At the same time blocking a team gaining promotion who could also be very good.

It’s a very poor argument indeed, the basis on any sport should be that a team is able to progress and the DSL blocked that as a poster said earlier that is fundamentally unfair simple as that!!

We should thank the DSL for removing the relegation of Durham City. Without that the NEPL1 wouldn't have been formed then the combined Durham League.

There was little movement in the DSL days as few winners wanted promotion. Now everyone is playing for something whether they are at the top or the bottom end of the league.

For me the overall structure is 100% better and we must thank the 12 DSL clubs for that

The NEPL are just as bad imo, they practically got the DSL to fold, because as I said earlier the DSL wrongly blocked teams getting promoted and progressing.

Yet they themselves have blocked teams ( Esh Winning) from getting promoted!!

Talk about double standards!!!

Last edited:

Back