Local league cricket

Absolutely nothing is stopping Esh Winning going away, improving facilities, forming all the required teams, winning the league and then applying for NEPL again. The criteria was known to all and they're the only team from the DCL who have won the league and been knocked back. This has been done a 100 times but the whole club is getting promoted and not just a first team. I've never been to Esh Winning but talking to people around the grounds, I'm yet to know anyone that thinks it was the incorrect decision. The only place I see that is on here.

The NEPL are just as bad imo, they practically got the DSL to fold, because as I said earlier the DSL wrongly blocked teams getting promoted and progressing.

Yet they themselves have blocked teams ( Esh Winning) from getting promoted!!

Talk about double standards!!!

Go on then, talk about double standards........ Cause the Durham City case and the Esh Winning case are very very different from each other.

Go on then, talk about double standards........ Cause the Durham City case and the Esh Winning case are very very different from each other.

There are different mate, but have a common pattern that they both stopped a team progressing.

What I dislike is this eliest snobbery we better than you thinking.

The DSL had it by refusing to relegate teams.

The NEPL have it by telling teams you must have this you must have that just to enter their precious league.

Absolutely nothing is stopping Esh Winning going away, improving facilities, forming all the required teams, winning the league and then applying for NEPL again. The criteria was known to all and they're the only team from the DCL who have won the league and been knocked back. This has been done a 100 times but the whole club is getting promoted and not just a first team. I've never been to Esh Winning but talking to people around the grounds, I'm yet to know anyone that thinks it was the incorrect decision. The only place I see that is on here.

At the very time where participation is dwindling which is well known, you actually need more flexibility, no more criteria.

Last edited:
There are different mate, but have a common pattern that they both stopped a team progressing.

What I dislike is this eliest snobbery we better than you thinking.

The DSL had it by refusing to relegate teams.

The NEPL have it by telling teams you must have this you must have that just to enter their precious league.

At the very time where participation is dwindling which is well known, you actually need more flexibility, no more criteria.
It’s a hard one really. Don’t have rules then clubs are more likely not to invest in areas that make a big difference to the participation of cricket. If all that matters is the first team on the field, where is the incentive to invest in junior set up’s, ensure you have players coming though in grassroots etc.

I agree times are changing and some of the rules need to be refreshed but the basic principles of Clubmark, decent ground/pitch, junior teams etc....surely that is the minimum that clubs should have. If they chose not to are unable to achieve that then at least there are other leagues that they can meet their needs.

Durham had many hurdles to jump to gain first class status and a lot of hard work, investment etc, they managed to get there. Surely top sporting leagues can have similar criteria as other sports do such as Rugby, Football for instance

Since NEPL1 was formed Esh Winning is the only team that has been knocked back so all the rest must have been doing something right. If loads of clubs were being knocked back it would be a different matter

We should thank the DSL for removing the relegation of Durham City. Without that the NEPL1 wouldn't have been formed then the combined Durham League.

There was little movement in the DSL days as few winners wanted promotion. Now everyone is playing for something whether they are at the top or the bottom end of the league.

For me the overall structure is 100% better and we must thank the 12 DSL clubs for that

Which has led to NE cricket being in its worst position ever. Well done premier league.

It’s a hard one really. Don’t have rules then clubs are more likely not to invest in areas that make a big difference to the participation of cricket. If all that matters is the first team on the field, where is the incentive to invest in junior set up’s, ensure you have players coming though in grassroots etc.

I agree times are changing and some of the rules need to be refreshed but the basic principles of Clubmark, decent ground/pitch, junior teams etc....surely that is the minimum that clubs should have. If they chose not to are unable to achieve that then at least there are other leagues that they can meet their needs.

Durham had many hurdles to jump to gain first class status and a lot of hard work, investment etc, they managed to get there. Surely top sporting leagues can have similar criteria as other sports do such as Rugby, Football for instance

Since NEPL1 was formed Esh Winning is the only team that has been knocked back so all the rest must have been doing something right. If loads of clubs were being knocked back it would be a different matter

Maybe it’s just me mate, but I see the NEPL as just a local cricket league not a top sporting league!

Some of things I read on here like players turning up 90 mins before a game, umpires told off if not there a hour before the game and 3rd teams on a Sunday is unnecessary and eliest crap imo.

Of course I take your point about correct set up like juniors and grounds etc, but I think the whole point is clubs don’t have money to invest or participation that they once had.

For example bars in clubs don’t flourish like they once did, and kids unfortunately want to play on iPads and PlayStations rather than play cricket.

It’s not that clubs don’t want too or purposely don’t fill the unfair criteria, some simply can’t, it’s not a choice.

As participation, money and volunteers drop there should be less criteria not more!

Last edited:
I respect your opinion but whether people like it or not the NEPL is the feeder to First Class cricket. Almost semi professional just like Northern league Football and Rugby. The pyramid was formed to allow clubs to be able to find their relevant levels over a period of years and during the good times you may look for promotion and when things weren’t going well (i.e. South Hetton / Harbour) you could find a league where you were able to participate.

Things do have to change as clubs are struggling across the country and you can only see that strong clubs such as Gateshead fell / Blaydon / South Shields have struggled of late. Has the money run out? Are the developing less quality players? Have other clubs bought success....who knows but unfortunatley that’s competitive sport where as quick as you rise, you can fall from grace fairly quickly as well.

At least with the structure we have now (which isn’t perfect) there is opportunitys to build on success and as along as criteria is set in stone and no additional criteria intorudiced to prevent certain teams promotions or protect those getting relegated, for me it’s the best we can hope for for now. The biggest mistake of the old structure was teams getting choice for promotion. Now I believe if you meet the criteria you have no choice in the matter??

Sorry but once again thats a load of old shit. Its a league thinking they are better than others and protecting them from allowing other clubs a go.

Fuck the DSL

They were better. Miles better and they looked after their teams . The Premier
League has ruined North East cricket.Come back when attendances ever come close to matching the DSL in their pomp.

I respect your opinion but whether people like it or not the NEPL is the feeder to First Class cricket. Almost semi professional just like Northern league Football and Rugby. The pyramid was formed to allow clubs to be able to find their relevant levels over a period of years and during the good times you may look for promotion and when things weren’t going well (i.e. South Hetton / Harbour) you could find a league where you were able to participate.

Things do have to change as clubs are struggling across the country and you can only see that strong clubs such as Gateshead fell / Blaydon / South Shields have struggled of late. Has the money run out? Are the developing less quality players? Have other clubs bought success....who knows but unfortunatley that’s competitive sport where as quick as you rise, you can fall from grace fairly quickly as well.

At least with the structure we have now (which isn’t perfect) there is opportunitys to build on success and as along as criteria is set in stone and no additional criteria intorudiced to prevent certain teams promotions or protect those getting relegated, for me it’s the best we can hope for for now. The biggest mistake of the old structure was teams getting choice for promotion. Now I believe if you meet the criteria you have no choice in the matter??

Its teams like the Harbour and South Hetton who have been ruined by the Premier League. More and more teams are going to the wall caused by the premier league and its ridiculous demands.
The Senior league supported its teams and allowed them to recover and come again. Not cast them aside.
Durham gaining first class status was a disaster and the idiots couldn't even organise that properly.

Last edited:
They were better. Miles better and they looked after their teams . The Premier
League has ruined North East cricket.Come back when attendances ever come close to matching the DSL in their pomp.

How many times do you need to be told that social and economic variables have reduced spectators in local league cricket, more than the formation of the NEPL has?

The NEPL is the next step down from professional cricket and has a professional outlook on things (note: criteria is provided by ECB and not NEPL most of the time!). If you have aspirations to make it as a professional cricketer, or you want to play a serious game alongside current Durham players and a lot of ex Durham players, then the NEPL is for you. If you wish a more community, play for your local club feel, then the DCL and other leagues provide that for you. It really is that simple.

How many times do you need to be told that social and economic variables have reduced spectators in local league cricket, more than the formation of the NEPL has?

The NEPL is the next step down from professional cricket and has a professional outlook on things (note: criteria is provided by ECB and not NEPL most of the time!). If you have aspirations to make it as a professional cricketer, or you want to play a serious game alongside current Durham players and a lot of ex Durham players, then the NEPL is for you. If you wish a more community, play for your local club feel, then the DCL and other leagues provide that for you. It really is that simple.

Durham senior league managed to combine serious competitive cricket against international standard players not just Durham has beens or wanna bes and also maintained a community spirit. Fuck your feeder to Durham prententious crap. Durham getting first class status and the pathetic interference from the ECB has been a disaster for NE local cricket
In comparison the Premier league is tedious.

Last edited:
Durham senior league managed to combine serious competitive cricket against international standard players not just Durham has beens or wanna bes and also maintained a community spirit. Fuck your feeder to Durham prententious crap. Durham getting first class status and the pathetic interference from the ECB has been a disaster for NE local cricket
In comparison the Premier league is tedious.

Jesus wept man! It's 2018, not 1980. Times they have a changed, as Bob Dylan kind of almost sang. You know for a fact it's almost impossible to play against international cricketers nowadays, due to the change in money available to the top players. Why "fuck your feeder to Durham pretentious crap"? Because that's the truth and serves an excellent purpose as shown by the brilliant performance of the county team in the last decade or so.

I must confess I see a lot more NEPL than other leagues but with the 2 tier league it's extremely strong and competitive throughout. An excellently professional ran league for the type of player who takes his cricket seriously, I struggle to see how people can have an issue with this.

Yeah some good points there mate, but I do think it's more to do with the money running out and lack of participation in cricket as a whole at a young age, than clubs been lazy.

Somebody said earlier in thread there is nothing stopping Esh Winning or other teams for that matter improving facilities getting more players and therefore applying for NEPL.

Imo it is nowhere near that easy and there is loads stopping clubs doing that.

I simply don't see local cricket clubs nowadays as semi professional like the Northern League as your comparison like football, simply because there is not the interest or numbers as you have alluded to with the clubs you have mentioned struggling of late.

Trying to keep up with the out of date eliest criteria will not last.

Jesus wept man! It's 2018, not 1980. Times they have a changed, as Bob Dylan kind of almost sang. You know for a fact it's almost impossible to play against international cricketers nowadays, due to the change in money available to the top players. Why "fuck your feeder to Durham pretentious crap"? Because that's the truth and serves an excellent purpose as shown by the brilliant performance of the county team in the last decade or so.

I must confess I see a lot more NEPL than other leagues but with the 2 tier league it's extremely strong and competitive throughout. An excellently professional ran league for the type of player who takes his cricket seriously, I struggle to see how people can have an issue with this.

I am sorry like but the excellent success of the county over the last decade was not down to the NEPL

Last edited:
Yeah some good points there mate, but I do think it's more to do with the money running out and lack of participation in cricket as a whole at a young age, than clubs been lazy.

Somebody said earlier in thread there is nothing stopping Esh Winning or other teams for that matter improving facilities getting more players and therefore applying for NEPL.

Imo it is nowhere near that easy and there is loads stopping clubs doing that.

I simply don't see local cricket clubs nowadays as semi professional like the Northern League as your comparison like football, simply because there is not the interest or numbers as you have alluded to with the clubs you have mentioned struggling of late.

Trying to keep up with the out of date eliest criteria will not last.

I am sorry like but the excellent success of the county over the last decade was not down to the NEPL

The point I was actually trying to make was the Academy have flourished recently and I think there is a part of that comes down to playing strong NEPL cricket week in, week out. Reading back it doesn't read like I wanted it to :lol:

He's intent on re-writing history mate - despite being told how the DSL fucked themselves he wont have it at all.

He's going on ignore so i dont have to read any of his tedious DSL shite anymore. Its getting boring

Mind you well done @wicketkeeper for not mentioning "johnny come lately clubs" :lol::lol::lol:

He's intent on re-writing history mate - despite being told how the DSL fucked themselves he wont have it at all.

He's going on ignore so i dont have to read any of his tedious DSL shite anymore. Its getting boring

Mind you well done @wicketkeeper for not mentioning "johnny come lately clubs" :lol::lol::lol:

Look at NE cricket now and then. Point proved.

The County did well because they invested money in players.
Now they have balls that up and have to rely on local players they don't seem to be doing so well.

Clubmark etc all shite.
Englands World Cup football team learnt their skills in he backstreets.
Look at the success of Brazil.
Bradman learnt his skills in the backyard.
The only people watching club cricket now are parents and cricket geeks.
The club man has gone because the players have no link to the villages. The man looking for entertainment has gone because it is tedious. No Friday night crowds watching Parry taking on Haynes. Only youngsters wi no affiliation to clubs batting slowly on deadpan tracks hoping to make the academy.
You learnt cricket by playing in competitive teams who spent money on good players rather Han worrying about electonic soar boards.

Last edited:
Look at NE cricket now and then. Point proved.

The County did well because they invested money in players.
Now they have balls that up and have to rely on local players they don't seem to be doing so well.

Clubmark etc all shite.
Englands World Cup football team learnt their skills in he backstreets.
Look at the success of Brazil.
Bradman learnt his skills in the backyard.
The only people watching club cricket now are parents and cricket geeks.
The club man has gone because the players have no link to the villages. The man looking for entertainment has gone because it is tedious. No Friday night crowds watching Parry taking on Haynes. Only youngsters wi no affiliation to clubs batting slowly on deadpan tracks hoping to make the academy.
You learnt cricket by playing in competitive teams who spent money on good players rather Han worrying about electonic soar boards.
f***ing hell man.

In fairness, the majority of that is for the better of the clubs - things like good financial structure, top playing/changing facilities, junior set up etc. It is all to benefit clubs long term and to provide the best competitive cricket that they can promote.

Granted things like electric scoreboards are a bit mad but overall the two leagues are chalk and cheese:

The Senior League was elitist, the NEPL merely wishes to be elite.

In fairness, the majority of that is for the better of the clubs - things like good financial structure, top playing/changing facilities, junior set up etc. It is all to benefit clubs long term and to provide the best competitive cricket that they can promote.

Granted things like electric scoreboards are a bit mad but overall the two leagues are chalk and cheese:

The Senior League was elitist, the NEPL merely wishes to be elite.

Of course, I agree the majority is better for clubs as long as it is acheiveable.

The money, the volunteers and most importantly the participation is not there to achieve everything that is required.

That is why more flexibility is needed not more criteria, to me it's not about comparing the two leagues.

It's the fact that the current top league is asking for things that long term in the current climate clubs will be unable to achieve.

Sunday thirds for example is unnecessary.

Back