Local league cricket

Status
Not open for further replies.
And yet the system worked perfectly well with many more people attending games than now.
It could be argued that the DSL actions led to more competitive cricket with good Coast league sides determined to beat Senior League teams. These days can you really see teams from the DCL having a chance to beat Soluth Northumberland. In fact I bet they dont even enter the same competitions.
Seaham Harbour survived for years in the Senior League even though their facilities were not the best. By all accounts their facilities have massively improved yet they are going to the wall under this system. It is undeniable that there are more clubs failing and folding under this system and that can only be bad for local cricket.
Cricket is not like football it can take time to develop cricketers. Which team is likely to give a young bowler a chance to bowl in their first team if relegation is hanging over the head?-None. So the system is counter productive to developing young players.

We have moved from a system of very competitive leagues to one where we have one league of a good standard dominated by teams with money and the rest of the leagues are quite frankly a very poor standard.
Thanks for describing the NEDCL as going to the wall. Since the DsL stole our clubs when it was founded. It could be said that the Dsl ruined local cricket. Finds tin hat and ducks for cover.

I haven't met one player from DSL who hasn't said it should not have been destroyed.

Well i played DSL in its last 20 years and it was going rapidly downhill, advertised to form a second division and only got 5 enquiries which speaks volumes to me. The league was dead and buried wrapped up in the whole history and tradition arguments.

I'm personally not bothered what the league names are as long as there is clear promotion / relegation across the system with genuine movement. We now have that and apart from the season Esh Winning were denied promotion, there has been movement every year.

If I could change 1 thing it would be 2 up and 2 down for every league. Allows a relegated team a better chance to get back up.

At least we may see some cricket today since the invention of covers came along....may have struggled in the DSL haydays of the past

Thanks for describing the NEDCL as going to the wall. Since the DsL stole our clubs when it was founded. It could be said that the Dsl ruined local cricket. Finds tin hat and ducks for cover.

To get a really good reaction, try repeating your points over and over again, no matter what evidence is presented to the contrary:lol:

For what it’s worth, I agree that the DCL (I assume that’s who you mean) have behaved in a selfish, high handed manner. To be fair though, this is a league that can’t even arrange a simple transfer of fixtures to an appropriate weekend so don’t expect too much from them

I haven't met one player from DSL who hasn't said it should not have been destroyed.

I played in the DSL and it being "destroyed'" is a bit dramatic. It was blatantly obvious that once Durham achieved First Class status a Pyramid League system had to be introduced, so that the best players in the NE competed against each other. The DSL would not move with the times and simply perished. Suicidal thinking on their behalf. So as a former DSL player do I think the DSL should have been "destroyed"? Yes.

No idea what you base some of your other opinions on. Attendances were larger for the DSL? When? I first watched DSL cricket from circa 1968 and a large attendance was around 200 for a league game. Cup final possibly 1,000. I don't class these as large crowds by any means. Fair enough attendances will be lower now, but they were never massive in the first place.

As for not relegating clubs. For many years North Durham, Horden and Seaham Harbour literally stank the DSL out they were that poor. No disrespect to anyone involved as I knew lads involved with those clubs. Fair enough Horden managed to turn things around using overseas pros, initially with O"Sullivan, but that was almost miraculous and took decades to achieve. Why should other more ambitious clubs in a lower league wait for promotion whilst others are allowed to remain in a league of higher standing, for decades possibly centuries, until they turn things around?

For the record I HATED playing at North Durham and Horden. Appaling places to play cricket. North Durham the writing was on the wall. The last year I played cricket was in 1995 and had the grave misfortunate to play at Horden in a cup tie. Ground had improved, could hardly have gotten worse, but the showers were flooded with raw sewage.

Anyway the simple fact is: Clubs supply Counties who supply England. Therefore Counties dominate Clubs. Could see how its hard to stomach as Durham only joined this system in the last 20 years or so, unlike other First Class Counties who have been in this system for 100+years. Its quite simple really. Pyramid Club System=First Class County Cricket. Elitist Club System=Minor Counties Cricket. Just watched Durham poss Notts today would far rather see that than be playing the likes of Staffordshire etc.

I have said before I loved the dsl days but times have moved on and dsl benefited from a time when cricket participation was at a high, standard of pros were at a peak, children's football was a winter sport etc. Agree that pyramid system was needed, however some of the rules can still lead to this being elitist. The only drawback of pyramid system for me is that it may stop the development of younger players in first team cricket. I.e when no relegation some clubs would give a group of youngsters time to develop in a first team, not sure how well this happens now. Have to admit I don't know how you solve this either, maybe insist that all premier league clubs must play 2 players in their first Xi who had more than 2 years in their academey set up

In 2013 I watched a NEPL game at Jesmond. Newcastle v Tynemouth.
A friend of mine, from Tynemouth pointed out that 10 of the Tynemouth team had played U.11's for Tynemouth. The only exception was their "overseas", a 19yr old South African.
Newcastle, on the other hand, NONE of their team had played ANY Junior cricket for Newcastle.
Both clubs have been in NEPL since the start.
Shows that clubs can compete with "money clubs" by running and promoting good junior systems.
We are sometimes guilty of praising the likes of South Northumberland, Chester-Le-Street and forgetting that clubs like Tynemouth can compete at that level.
Tynemouth now run 3 teams on a Saturday and are sitting 4th in the NEPL.

In 2013 I watched a NEPL game at Jesmond. Newcastle v Tynemouth.
A friend of mine, from Tynemouth pointed out that 10 of the Tynemouth team had played U.11's for Tynemouth. The only exception was their "overseas", a 19yr old South African.
Newcastle, on the other hand, NONE of their team had played ANY Junior cricket for Newcastle.
Both clubs have been in NEPL since the start.
Shows that clubs can compete with "money clubs" by running and promoting good junior systems.
We are sometimes guilty of praising the likes of South Northumberland, Chester-Le-Street and forgetting that clubs like Tynemouth can compete at that level.
Tynemouth now run 3 teams on a Saturday and are sitting 4th in the NEPL.
Some of the money getting paid at NEPL div 1 level is mind boggling , where do they get money from ,our first year at this level and only our pro gets paid as normally, all rest have came from our junior academy , he's signed on for next year and prob get more money at every other club

I played in the DSL and it being "destroyed'" is a bit dramatic. It was blatantly obvious that once Durham achieved First Class status a Pyramid League system had to be introduced, so that the best players in the NE competed against each other. The DSL would not move with the times and simply perished. Suicidal thinking on their behalf. So as a former DSL player do I think the DSL should have been "destroyed"? Yes.

No idea what you base some of your other opinions on. Attendances were larger for the DSL? When? I first watched DSL cricket from circa 1968 and a large attendance was around 200 for a league game. Cup final possibly 1,000. I don't class these as large crowds by any means. Fair enough attendances will be lower now, but they were never massive in the first place.

As for not relegating clubs. For many years North Durham, Horden and Seaham Harbour literally stank the DSL out they were that poor. No disrespect to anyone involved as I knew lads involved with those clubs. Fair enough Horden managed to turn things around using overseas pros, initially with O"Sullivan, but that was almost miraculous and took decades to achieve. Why should other more ambitious clubs in a lower league wait for promotion whilst others are allowed to remain in a league of higher standing, for decades possibly centuries, until they turn things around?

For the record I HATED playing at North Durham and Horden. Appaling places to play cricket. North Durham the writing was on the wall. The last year I played cricket was in 1995 and had the grave misfortunate to play at Horden in a cup tie. Ground had improved, could hardly have gotten worse, but the showers were flooded with raw sewage.

Anyway the simple fact is: Clubs supply Counties who supply England. Therefore Counties dominate Clubs. Could see how its hard to stomach as Durham only joined this system in the last 20 years or so, unlike other First Class Counties who have been in this system for 100+years. Its quite simple really. Pyramid Club System=First Class County Cricket. Elitist Club System=Minor Counties Cricket. Just watched Durham poss Notts today would far rather see that than be playing the likes of Staffordshire etc.

Game, Set and match.

End of thread in my view. Finally someone who remembers it like it was.

Horden won the league several times in the late 80s , 90s and early 2000s using a team of players who had all come through the junior ranks backed up by 2 excellent professionals.. If as you seem to be suggesting they should have been relegated this would never have happened.
The chances are if you played Horden in a cup tie in 1995 you would have been beaten as they were also one of the best cup tie sides in the region during this decade.

You make my point for me.

Game, Set and match.

End of thread in my view. Finally someone who remembers it like it was.

Not game set and match at all simply backed up my argument about how a team can turn themselves around if given the opportunity. Horden were one of the DSLs most successful teams in the 80s 9os and 00s

For the record I LOVED playing for Horden. I particularly LOVED it when teams who we had absolutely hammered used to leave the ground moaning that we should spend more money on facilities instead of the players who had just thrashed them. The pungent smell of sour grapes filled the air.

Last edited:
Horden won the league several times in the late 80s , 90s and early 2000s using a team of players who had all come through the junior ranks backed up by 2 excellent professionals.. If as you seem to be suggesting they should have been relegated this would never have happened.
The chances are if you played Horden in a cup tie in 1995 you would have been beaten as they were also one of the best cup tie sides in the region during this decade.

You make my point for me.

Not game set and match at all simply backed up my argument about how a team can turn themselves around if given the opportunity. Horden were one of the DSLs most successful teams in the 80s 9os and 00s

For the record I LOVED playing for Horden. I particularly LOVED it when teams who we had absolutely hammered used to leave the ground moaning that we should spend more money on facilities instead of the players who had just thrashed them. The pungent smell of sour grapes filled the air.

Hordon indeed was an utter shithole in the 90s when I used to visit as a junior. I hope things have improved as I can think of few clubs whose facilities haven’t improved dramatically in the past 20 years
Thank god the NEPL insisted clubs invest in facilities

Some of the money getting paid at NEPL div 1 level is mind boggling , where do they get money from ,our first year at this level and only our pro gets paid as normally, all rest have came from our junior academy , he's signed on for next year and prob get more money at every other club
We're of the same opinion but at a lower level e.g. We've just come into the DCL and we're shocked about how certain clubs can afford to spend money on players when their facilities are absolutely shocking.

When we joined the league we were made to jump through a number of hoops before we were even allowed to join - it was a massive suprise when we turned up at new grounds to find that we were getting changed in cramped, dimly lit, changing rooms / shipping containers or that the toilets and showers were blocked and smelt of piss. It makes a mockery of the whole thing.

I think the league needs to look at this before a team is allowed to pay money for professionals (overseas or home grown).

That's the only downside of promotion and relegation. Clubs pump money to average players to try and avoid relegation.

From a facilities point there are many grants available so the cost in minimal for certain things. Just need someone with the club to have the time and ability to apply for them

It will be interesting if any clublcubs try and get a player or two this week before the cut off.

Hordon indeed was an utter shithole in the 90s when I used to visit as a junior. I hope things have improved as I can think of few clubs whose facilities haven’t improved dramatically in the past 20 years

Always the refrain from those that left our ground after been smashed all over and bowled out by Parry. As I said sour grapes .

We're of the same opinion but at a lower level e.g. We've just come into the DCL and we're shocked about how certain clubs can afford to spend money on players when their facilities are absolutely shocking.

When we joined the league we were made to jump through a number of hoops before we were even allowed to join - it was a massive suprise when we turned up at new grounds to find that we were getting changed in cramped, dimly lit, changing rooms / shipping containers or that the toilets and showers were blocked and smelt of piss. It makes a mockery of the whole thing.

I think the league needs to look at this before a team is allowed to pay money for professionals (overseas or home grown).

Utter rubbish. Its about the quality of the cricket not the facilities.
Used to hear the same moaning time and time again from teams who left Horden with their tails between their legs after a thrashing.

And yet the cricket is shit!!!

Last edited:
Utter rubbish. Its about the quality of the cricket not the facilities.

Used to hear the same moaning time and time again from teams who left Horden with their tails between their legs after a thrashing.
Hard to play 'quality cricket' when the ground is utter dog turd with one fizzing past your nose and the very next ball risking a broken ankle isn't it?

It's also common courtesy in my opinion to welcome and treat opposing teams in the same way you'd like to be treated - especially if newer clubs are expected to do so.

Hard to play 'quality cricket' when the ground is utter dog turd with one fizzing past your nose and the very next ball risking a broken ankle isn't it?

It's also common courtesy in my opinion to welcome and treat opposing teams in the same way you'd like to be treated - especially if newer clubs are expected to do so.

No clubs in the DSL had wickets like that.

Any serious player would rate winning games regularly and playing with international players above luxurious changing rooms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back