Local league cricket

Can only speak for NEDCL. But we have two clubs struggling with the potential to fold. Fingers crossed for them both.
Currently the league is 1 division of 10 and 1 of 8.
Seaham Harbour and potentially S Hetton are looking to enter second teams next season.
With a few clubs looking towards promotion (deservidly). Hopefully the DCL abides by the pyramid system regulations and actually relegate the bottom club. Otherwise the survival of the NEDCL is very much in doubt. I hold out very little hope of the DCL doing the right thing.
Also with three clubs in higher leagues no longer meeting their criteria. On the other hand other clubs look likely to do a Seaham Harbour. Which in fairness benefits us.

Last edited:
Can only speak for NEDCL. But we have two clubs struggling with the potential to fold. Fingers crossed for them both.
Currently the league is 1 division of 10 and 1 of 8.
Seaham Harbour and potentially S Hetton are looking to enter second teams next season.
With a few clubs looking towards promotion (deservidly). Hopefully the DCL abides by the pyramid system regulations and actually relegate the bottom club. Otherwise the survival of the NEDCL is very much in doubt. I hold out very little hope of the DCL doing the right thing.
Also with three clubs in higher leagues no longer meeting their criteria. On the other hand other clubs look likely to do a Seaham Harbour. Which in fairness benefits us.
Unless the DCL relax their criteria I can only see the NEDL getting more clubs in the years ahead which may balance the clubs around the leagues in fairness.

I just can't see how clubs can all survive and play 2 or 3 senior teams at weekends. Something has to change with the set up soon

Probably time for a rethink with 2nds/3rds. NEPL clubs should have 3 teams, 1sts/2nds on Saturday, 3rds on Sunday. For the rest, the option should be there to play 2nds on a Sunday where possible and enter a 3rd team in a regional Midweek League if they can't put 3 teams out on a weekend. There is the North East Midweek League already in place for clubs to enter in the north part of the region. A similar league could be introduced for clubs south of the Wear.

Probably time for a rethink with 2nds/3rds. NEPL clubs should have 3 teams, 1sts/2nds on Saturday, 3rds on Sunday. For the rest, the option should be there to play 2nds on a Sunday where possible and enter a 3rd team in a regional Midweek League if they can't put 3 teams out on a weekend. There is the North East Midweek League already in place for clubs to enter in the north part of the region. A similar league could be introduced for clubs south of the Wear.
Logistically, the NEDL should become Div 3 of the DCL. It reduces the 'stigma' attached to dropping down. The criteria for entering DCL2 has to be changed, show a bit of sympathy for enthusiastic, well-run clubs who have limited facilities. As mentioned several times, clubs will fold if things continue like this. We would all like to play 50 overs with friends and family all there enjoying it but those days are long gone.

Last edited:

Logistically, the NEDL should become Div 3 of the DCL. It reduces the 'stigma' attached to dropping down. The criteria for entering DCL2 has to be changed, show a bit of sympathy for enthusiastic, well-run clubs who have limited facilities. As mentioned several times, clubs will fold if things continue like this. We would all like to play 50 overs with friends and family all there enjoying it but those days are long gone.
I don't think that is now a possibility. The DCLs handling of everything has only entrenched everyone else around them.

With the DCL turning into the senior league more and more each day. Accepting good clubs when it suits and refusing to relegate their old boys. Sounds very very familiar.

Last edited:
I don't think that is now a possibility. The DCLs handling of everything has only entrenched everyone else around them.

With the DCL turning into the senior league more and more each day. Accepting good clubs when it suits and refusing to relegate their old boys. Sounds very very familiar.

It’s called standards. Meet them. The DCL shouldn’t lower its standards by letting teams in that struggle to get 2 teams, can’t afford covers and have a ground that is as much use as a village green.

Grants, sponsorships, advertise your club. You should be looking to develop year by year. A club is nothing without volunteers. That is down to the members.

Look at littletown. They put so much hard work in behind the scenes. Paid off. Two Saturday and Sunday teams. Their junior section in particular is impressive. Ground will never be lords but I’m sure they are looking to develop.

Can’t just expect the DCL to let everyone in. It would end up a farce

Last edited:
It’s called standards. Meet them. The DCL shouldn’t lower its standards by letting teams in that struggle to get 2 teams, can’t afford covers and have a ground that is as much use as a village green.

Grants, sponsorships, advertise your club. You should be looking to develop year by year. A club is nothing without volunteers. That is down to the members.

Look at littletown. They put so much hard work in behind the scenes. Paid off. Two Saturday and Sunday teams. Their junior section in particular is impressive. Ground will never be lords but I’m sure they are looking to develop.

The quote you've taken is agreeing with you. The DCL should have it's standards. But when a club finishes bottom and a club below them meets those standards, then those clubs should swap, instead of creating a closed shop.
Some DCL clubs are struggling too.

Last edited:
The quote you've taken is agreeing with you. The DCL should have it's standards. But when a club finishes bottom and a club below them meets those standards, then those clubs should swap, instead of creating a closed shop.
S
havent they agreed to the pyramid this year rob? Bet theres a couple of DCL teams sweating on relegation this year

havent they agreed to the pyramid this year rob? Bet theres a couple of DCL teams sweating on relegation this year
Id hope that to be the case. It's about allowing clubs yo find their level in terms of facilities and playing ability.
For examples Kimblesworth seem to in the driving seat to win the NEDCL. They appear to meet almost all the league criteria for the DCL. If they are promoted then the bottom side (I'm unsure who that currently is) should be relegated. Hope the DCL hierarchy which might restore some of my faith in them.

Not mentioning any names but some DCL clubs are just as bad!

The current two team Saturday entry requirement is now farcical IMO. The standard of numbers involved in second team cricket is not what it was. It’s needs major reform. Either abolishing as an entry requirement or format amended to make it more feasible. Over the last few years there have been a lot of games involving young kids who aren’t ready for adult cricket and teams fielding less than 11. Society and the game isn’t what it used to be, that has to be reflected by the local cricket leagues

The current two team Saturday entry requirement is now farcical IMO. The standard of numbers involved in second team cricket is not what it was. It’s needs major reform. Either abolishing as an entry requirement or format amended to make it more feasible. Over the last few years there have been a lot of games involving young kids who aren’t ready for adult cricket and teams fielding less than 11. Society and the game isn’t what it used to be, that has to be reflected by the local cricket leagues

For me the Durham leagues should do what northumberland and Tyneside have done. 2 teams per club max, 1 if it suits. Start off with DCL 1 then 2, then the NEDL1, then the 2nd teams in that order. Clubs are promoted and relegated accordingly on the basis that you can't have 2 teams in the same division.

Still need some kind of incentive to have a junior setup imo though

For me the Durham leagues should do what northumberland and Tyneside have done. 2 teams per club max, 1 if it suits. Start off with DCL 1 then 2, then the NEDL1, then the 2nd teams in that order. Clubs are promoted and relegated accordingly on the basis that you can't have 2 teams in the same division.

Still need some kind of incentive to have a junior setup imo though
It seems to work well as there isnt much difference between the strong 2nd teams and the weaker 1st teams. Makes the cup ties more interesting

What standards!,,it is a local club cricket league that’s it nothing more.

It is obvious to anyone with half a brain clubs are struggling in fact that’s what the whole thread is about!

Leagues need to be more flexible and undersatand that, the very last thing required is precious standards.

The current DCL standard of cricket in comparison to years ago is shit anyway.

Don’t you see trying to keep up with these so called standards will just mean clubs go bust simple as that.

Just plain common sense

Last edited:
What standards!,,it is a local club cricket league that’s it nothing more.

It is obvious to anyone with half a brain clubs are struggling in fact that’s what the whole thread is about!

Leagues need to be more flexible and undersatand that, the very last thing required is precious standards.

The current DCL standard of cricket in comparison to years ago is shit anyway.

Don’t you see trying to keep up with these so called standards will just mean clubs go bust simple as that.

Just plain common sense

The standard of NE cricket now is abysmal,compared to when the Senior League was the top league in the NE.
Between them the ECB and the Premier League have ruined North East cricket.

The standard of NE cricket now is abysmal,compared to when the Senior League was the top league in the NE.
Between them the ECB and the Premier League have ruined North East cricket.
You're forgetting the rise of T20 leagues and year round international cricket for robbing clubs of decent pros. That's all that's changed.

Senior League brilliant TICK
Prem Leaguue evil TICK
Standard poorer than in past TICK

Is that a full house?

A full house of truths.

You're forgetting the rise of T20 leagues and year round international cricket for robbing clubs of decent pros. That's all that's changed.

Really . There are players playing in the DCL league who wouldn't have made the seconds of some strong Senior league teams.

I think standard in NEPL is as good if not better than the DSL hayday (particularly when u take overseas pros out of the equation) however as my OP said it is 2nd team and junior levels (obviously linked as strong juniors always lead to strong 2nd XI) is where the problem is. This view seems to be the consensus however coming up with a solution is no easy task. It is not just a NE phenomenon and the ECB definitely need to take a long hard look at themselves. I think some of the leagues moving 2nd XI fixtures to Sunday’s would be a good idea, particularly (for teams who struggle with numbers) if some players who played on Saturday could double up, limit this to a maximum of 2. Some players would do this particularly those who say bat 8 in firsts and bowl a couple of overs, the option to do a bit more on the Sunday would appeal to them, this in my opinion would ensure full teams are fielded and more competitive games take place

Back