Living on protein shakes

Status
Not open for further replies.

This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Your mate obviously has no idea how to cut and is just assuming this is the fastest way.

Has he previously spent time in the gym bulking up? Cos he's gonna lose everything he gained.

With cutting, slow and steady wins the race. Anything more than 400-500 cals will result in muscle loss. This bloke sounds like he's on about a 1500 calorie defeceit.

Last edited:
This is one of the dumbest things I've ever read.

Your mate obviously has no idea how to cut and is just assuming this is the fastest way.

Has he previously spent time in the gym bulking up? Cos he's gonna lose everything he gained.

With cutting, slow and steady wins the race. Anything more than 400-500 cals will result in muscle loss. This bloke sounds like he's on about a 1500 calorie defeceit.
Dont mean to be pedantic but you mean calorie deficit?

We all need fibre in our food for good bowel condition/movement
There is a brand with fibre already in the whey protein or I would think, one could add in their own fruit or other fibres, psyllium husks, ground flax seed, etc.

sounds more like a meal replacement that then
I went on the Exante diet a couple of year back, I'd have 3 soups a day totalling to 600 calories, nothing more. I only lasted a couple of weeks, felt completely drained but I did manage to lose 14lb.

I did the cereal diet last year.
Cereal for breakfast, cereal for lunch, normal tea.
I cut out all other snacks, drinking during the week and had vodka, lime & soda on a weekend instead of beer.
Did it for two weeks and lost a stone.

I did the cereal diet last year.
Cereal for breakfast, cereal for lunch, normal tea.
I cut out all other snacks, drinking during the week and had vodka, lime & soda on a weekend instead of beer.
Did it for two weeks and lost a stone.

I'd be happy doing that, did you use skimmed milk?

I went on the Exante diet a couple of year back, I'd have 3 soups a day totalling to 600 calories, nothing more. I only lasted a couple of weeks, felt completely drained but I did manage to lose 14lb.
How much did you gain when you started eating normally again?

My mate since 17th february has had 4 protein shakes a day without food and still trained. He did succumb to a pizza and then a chicken wrap on saturday night but for 10 days he has just been living on protein shakes. His strength has stayed the same and he has lost 5 pounds. This surely cant be recommended for him long term? I personally couldnt go a day without food and it would play on my mind training not eating for days.

Just seen this thread so Soz for the delay but, it's kind of silly but kind of not. I'll explain...

Basically nutrition is fuel, so it's not unusual for your friends progress to be what it was at the stage of the OP but as others rightly mentioned it wouldn't last.

However... Take the worlds number 1 fitness model Greg Plitt. He lives off shakes (containing various supps) throughout the day scheduled around his training BUT the huge difference is he has one solid meal every day, just the one, in the afternoon but it contains around 3500 calories.

This allows him to keep his body fuelled during the day and the shakes allow the nutrients to get into his system quickly without digestion issues but that main meal means he also has everything digested by the time he goes to sleep at night.

Genius really. Bit hard to do if you are a normal bloke however with a normal job. :)

Just seen this thread so Soz for the delay but, it's kind of silly but kind of not. I'll explain...

Basically nutrition is fuel, so it's not unusual for your friends progress to be what it was at the stage of the OP but as others rightly mentioned it wouldn't last.

However... Take the worlds number 1 fitness model Greg Plitt. He lives off shakes (containing various supps) throughout the day scheduled around his training BUT the huge difference is he has one solid meal every day, just the one, in the afternoon but it contains around 3500 calories.

This allows him to keep his body fuelled during the day and the shakes allow the nutrients to get into his system quickly without digestion issues but that main meal means he also has everything digested by the time he goes to sleep at night.

Genius really. Bit hard to do if you are a normal bloke however with a normal job. :)

He's most likely lying to sell supplements. Also the distinction needs to be made between a natural who's eating what is surely less than 1,000 kcal per day and Gregg Plitt's supplements and much higher intake even if it was true

He's most likely lying to sell supplements. Also the distinction needs to be made between a natural who's eating what is surely less than 1,000 kcal per day and Gregg Plitt's supplements and much higher intake even if it was true

He never quoted any of the supps mate, he wasn't selling anything in the interview. It suits his lifestyle as he can't be sure where he is gonna be from one day to the next and with travel etc it was out of convenience at first.

Not saying he's not on anything else like but there's method in it for sure.

I just had a look at this Plitt video on YouTube. Looked like some plan in conjunction with a supplement website and Met-RX.

Shakes are fine as a convenience thing, but if somebody is encouraging you to live off 6 shakes a day it should really raise a red flag, given that he's also a sponsored 'athlete'. A lot of what he was saying was really just wild extrapolations based on his theories.

You ALWAYS need to be skeptical about what fitness professionals claim to be doing nutrition wise. Usually, there is some incentive for them to lie in order to boost a brand, sell a product, book or whatever. Look at a lot of the IFBB guys who claim they eat nothing but brown rice and chicken... come on, it's horse shit. They'll tell you how insulin is bad and don't eat sugar because it will spike your insulin and while they're telling you this, they've probably just finished chugging on some sugar because they've just injected more insulin than you're ever going to secrete via food.[DOUBLEPOST=1394800016][/DOUBLEPOST]Don't get me wrong though, there are times when liquid meals are useful beyond just convenience

Last edited by a moderator:
I just had a look at this Plitt video on YouTube. Looked like some plan in conjunction with a supplement website and Met-RX.

Shakes are fine as a convenience thing, but if somebody is encouraging you to live off 6 shakes a day it should really raise a red flag, given that he's also a sponsored 'athlete'. A lot of what he was saying was really just wild extrapolations based on his theories.

You ALWAYS need to be skeptical about what fitness professionals claim to be doing nutrition wise. Usually, there is some incentive for them to lie in order to boost a brand, sell a product, book or whatever. Look at a lot of the IFBB guys who claim they eat nothing but brown rice and chicken... come on, it's horse shit. They'll tell you how insulin is bad and don't eat sugar because it will spike your insulin and while they're telling you this, they've probably just finished chugging on some sugar because they've just injected more insulin than you're ever going to secrete via food.[DOUBLEPOST=1394800016][/DOUBLEPOST]Don't get me wrong though, there are times when liquid meals are useful beyond just convenience
Thinking about it, isnt practically living on shakes like that juice plus diet?

My mate has crashed from his living on protein shakes and starting to eat loads again, seems like he is making up for lost time. He lost loads of strength, will find out more next time I see him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back