Live streaming platform unveiled for global EFL fans...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Streaming has been around for the best part of a decade, first in pubs then through Kodi over the last few years. Over the last 5 years our performance on the pitch has got progressively worse yet our attendances have increased year on year. Attendances will drop this season, but they'll drop because we're shite and have been relegated, not because of streaming.

The club obviously have to tow the party line and can't be seen to support piracy, but you'd think they'd be secretly pleased that people stream our games. Quinny obviously didn't like people watching games in the pub spending £40 on beer when we're playing at home less than a mile away but the world has moved on from that, more people stream in the house than at the pub now and I don't believe there's a significant number of people out there with the money and means to go to the match but choosing not to who'd happily buy a ticket if the streams were turned off. The overwhelming majority of streamers are people who wouldn't go to the match regardless or are streaming the away games they can't get to.

On the flip side, I certainly won't be sitting with the radio listening to Barnes and Bennett if there aren't streams available, I'd most likely find something else to do (you get a better idea of what's going on following the Bet365 Rball than listening to them two. Now I'm a season ticket holder and will get to some away games anyway but there's plenty people who aren't, surely the last thing you want is for your potential customers to find something better to do at 3pm on a Saturday and risk them losing interest completely? It's surely better to keep them engaged even if you're not directly profiting from them then lose them completely.

Streaming is the future whether they like it or not and sometimes you have to accept that you'll make a loss on something in the short term but see the rewards further down the line.

The club are quite active on social media and recently advertised for another video editor. They don't make any money directly from that (but employ staff to do it), the idea is to keep the fans engaged in the hope they buy a ticket or merchandise further down the line. Same applies.

I'm also abroad. Shit excuse for a football club. Continuing to treat fans as a hindrance. How dare we want to keep in touch with OUR team. Not a jot of this club belongs to Short or whichever prick made this decision. They'd do well to remember that.

Trying to do an end run here. It looks like there are 13 Championship clubs in the IFollow service. Do you get every FL game that's available on iFollow by signing up for one team? That was the case for the audio on the old Player system - the first five or six years all you needed was someone to provide you the link to the main page and you had access to everything, cost free. :)

Getting slightly over half the matches might still be worth signing up for to avoid all the uncertainty of the dodgy streams.

Trying to do an end run here. It looks like there are 13 Championship clubs in the IFollow service. Do you get every FL game that's available on iFollow by signing up for one team? That was the case for the audio on the old Player system - the first five or six years all you needed was someone to provide you the link to the main page and you had access to everything, cost free. :)

Getting slightly over half the matches might still be worth signing up for to avoid all the uncertainty of the dodgy streams.
loads will be ones that are on sky anyway mind

It’s like being back when I was a kid – I think Shoot was sometimes on a Sunday, so you had to wait until the following day for George Taylor and his highlights. Good to know we’ve progressed so far in the 35-40 years since then! I’m still struggling to get my head around any part of the logic, to be honest. Even if we don’t sign up to iFollow, I wouldn’t think we could unilaterally stop the broadcast equipment coming into the stadium if most of the visiting teams have signed up, could we? There would surely be legal implications if we tried to stop them doing so, given that most of the teams we host will have taken money from subscribers to show their games. Anybody able to weigh in on how that might play out?

That being said, if that’s the case, to help me get it straight, SAFC are:

a) Not going to offer streams because they don’t want streams to affect gates, even though there will be streams available if most visiting teams have signed up to iFollow? Thus, likely no positive effect on attendances by doing this

b) Going to persevere with a one-camera-angle, no-commentary, day-after option, when there is equipment in the stadium that could offer full service? Thus, likely to get minimal (if any) subscriptions, leading to less revenue than if they’d just signed up

What a bunch of absolute fucknuts our club management has become

i was kind of hoping that we werent going to be available to watch - its been shit watching us for years and i was hoping to avoid the temptation this year.

I can't believe they want to charge for broadcasts that are covered by a single camera. Premier League Pass charged around £100 for every single premiership game all covered by multiple cameras, action replays and commentary.

This is not the groundbreaking service that I thought it could be. You'd be almost as well off watching a game on periscope.

Sent Chris Waters an email.

This is a huge mistake and extremely short sighted, I'm sure their real reason it that the EFL keep too high a percentage of the subscription fees.

It's an absolute disgrace. The club don't give a fuck about the supporters at all. After everything they've put us through over the past few seasons the least they could do is make it easier for all supporters - overseas and domestic - to watch it.
Absolutely bunch of clowns running the club.
And that statement from them as to why they're not doing it is so full of holes it's like they've just quickly come up with every possible reason they may not want to do it and put them in a random order.
f***ing amateurs.
The sooner the club is cleaned out top to bottom the better.
Supporters, who needs them?

The way it read early on was that the fee only covered your selected team's matches and that you couldn't just watch a random match on the side.

I emailed him as well.

Anyone else that wants to make their opinion known...

Supporter Liaison Officer 0191 551 5122 [email protected]
Sent him one as well. Everyone here should even if they aren't the target audience.

Last edited:
To be fair a platform only offering a one camera angle of games in this day and age is also laughable....

Maybe better than nothing at all but laughable all the same

The way it read early on was that the fee only covered your selected team's matches and that you couldn't just watch a random match on the side.

Did a bit of digging on the site - looks like you can buy individual matches for $7. Further, they have the list of internationally broadcast matches through October 1. We're on 3 times, all three of them are against other clubs not joining the iFollow system.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back