Link between adult depression and being smacked as a child

I think it all depends on whether the chastisement was occasional and took place within an overall nurturing childhood environment .
There proven links between ptsd reaction and childhood abuse of all kinds
I was smacked as a child , but my mam who did this also psychology abused me, leaving me with so many issues and mental health problems that getting through the day is a win. Could it be that those who feel it's ok to smack will also use other methods more harmful on their child. It could just be an indicator of an abuser ? Don't know?
These two posts sum up the issue for me. If a parent is consistent and sets clear boundaries and is in the main loving the odd smack will have no long term impact.

If the parent is a psycho and doesn't hit the kid will end up fucked up.

Bonkers it's legal in some parts of the UK and not others.

Agreed. It's staggering that hitting children is legal and considered OK anywhere. I will never understand it, the same as I'll never understand people who hurt or kill animals for their own pleasure.

The world's a twisted place.

There's a huge difference between getting a smack on your hand and violence that causes a kid to piss themselves with fear, I've smacked my kids on the hand before because they were trying to do things like put their hands on hot water, cross a road, wriggle free from my hand to run across a car park with moving cars etc stuff like that because in that context its preferable to them being permanently maimed or dead, however just beating or even screaming at kids all the time because you're a stressed parent will never ever work and definitely creates a lot of problems later in life.

I think a lot of SMB posters weren't smacked enough as kids.
I was smacked on a regular basis, my younger brother wasn't. He was better behaved than me in early life, I was better behaved in later life.
Mental, isn't it?
Animals smack their young...we still have those natural reactions, a ban on wanking wouldn't work either. Just to add that smacking is banned in many countries, but only government installed home cams in every room would guarantee that legislations success, and would we really want to go down that road?

Last edited:
I was smacked on a regular basis, my younger brother wasn't. He was better behaved than me in early life, I was better behaved in later life.

Animals smack their young...we still have those natural reactions, a ban on wanking wouldn't work either. Just to add that smacking is banned in many countries, but only government installed home cams in every room would guarantee that legislations success, and would we really want to go down that road?
Legislation doesn’t immediately stop behaviour, it puts a framework of consequences around it. Gradually that can change cultural norms but it doesn’t eradicate the issue or mean we need to monitor every human interaction in case it’s unlawful.

IMO - you don't know what effect smacking will have on that child.

I had a great childhood, I was out like most kids (you don't see that know) kicking a 'penny floater' around the street, jumping into local harbours or climbing trees. Not only that my Father took me to RP every other week and was I starry eyed with SAFC.

My Dad only hit me a few times, but whatever it was I was being hit for, I never done again. I respected him and we're still the best of mates.

For me, social media is the biggest problem. It's a platform for people to show off their new items/holidays etc. That causes jealousy, and ultimately depression amongst young children/adults who's parents simply can't afford the same, despite their best efforts to work every hour god sends.

It's a sorry state that will only get worse or become the norm because let's face it, social media is not going away.
This is absolutely spot on mind, not saying smacking should come back like it used to be but if there is a biggest single factor it's the Internet, social media means there's 8 billion people vs you and you lose every time in that game of comparison, there's always someone better than you at something somewhere and they're on the Internet probably at the top of the Instagram algorithm.

I was generally a well behaved kid so I didn't get smacked much except for when I was about 6 and some mates and I painted a neighbours alleyway door yellow in a Picasso style.

And yet depression is on the rise amongst the younger generations whilst braying ya kids has been massively on the slide for years....
There's a huge difference between getting a smack on your hand and violence that causes a kid to piss themselves with fear, I've smacked my kids on the hand before because they were trying to do things like put their hands on hot water, cross a road, wriggle free from my hand to run across a car park with moving cars etc stuff like that because in that context its preferable to them being permanently maimed or dead.
Spot on.

Last edited:
Smacking should be a last resort and only used in extreme cases. Ie; if they keep hitting the dog out of spite ,sticking fingers in the sockets, playing with the gas and so on.
A telling off a stern explanation should be enough, but if they are continuing doing it and looking at you as they are doing it (as I’ve witnessed other peoples little bastards do ), then a f***ing clout is coming your way.

Anyone who employs “ the naughty step” or “ time out” are absolute imbeciles and have lost total control. If your reading this and this is you, I pray for you once they get to 15/16 as that’s when the trouble will really start.

Smacking should be a last resort and only used in extreme cases. Ie; if they keep hitting the dog out of spite ,sticking fingers in the sockets, playing with the gas and so on.
A telling off a stern explanation should be enough, but if they are continuing doing it and looking at you as they are doing it (as I’ve witnessed other peoples little bastards do ), then a f***ing clout is coming your way.

Anyone who employs “ the naughty step” or “ time out” are absolute imbeciles and have lost total control. If you’re reading this and this is you, I pray for you once they get to 15/16 as that’s when the trouble will really start.
Did you smack your kids?

Did you smack your kids?
Probs less than half a dozen times between them over their life times I’d imagine.

When they knew i meant that’s enough Stop ,they listened. As they do now at 25 year old

People who’s child merely droning on or shouting at their kids are idiots like.
Was and My is full of carry on and piss taking and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Did you ever smack your kids arse ?

Probs less than half a dozen times between them over their life times I’d imagine.

When they knew i meant that’s enough Stop ,they listened. As they do now at 25 year old

People who’s child merely droning on or shouting at their kids are idiots like.
Was and My is full of carry on and piss taking and I wouldn’t have it any other way.

Did you ever smack your kids arse ?
Fair.

Don’t have kids but it’s a tricky one for sure.

Fair.

Don’t have kids but it’s a tricky one for sure.

Once you have kids mate it all comes natural. Just teach them right from wrong from the kick off and it’s an absolute doddle.
That’ll not go down well with a couple of folk on here but it’s true.
It’s just like having a puppy, put the graft in early doors and it sets the tone going forward and makes life much more enjoyable and fluid for everyone .

Back