Link between adult depression and being smacked as a child

It’s not absurd. Chalk and cheese. I’m not asking why people don’t discipline (in whatever way) other people’s children.

I am asking why they think it is acceptable to hit their own, when they are horrified (quite rightly) about the idea of hitting other people’s children.

Perhaps if child hitters thought through why they don’t hit any other child on the street they might question why they think it is OK to hit their own, that’s all.
I think they'd think it had absolutely nowt to do with other people getting involved with disciplining their children. Whether it be smacking, taking toys or making them stand in the corner. I'd agree with them narl.

Imagine seeing some randomer making your kid take a time out or whatever or going up to someone's bairn and just taking their bike off them :lol:

Last edited:

Graduated from Oxford with a 1st
You’ll always be a no mark
Jog on , good lad

Funny that considering you left school at 14 and did a YTS then trained as an electrician.

Wouldn’t be lying there would you mate? Phenomenal achievement to have made it to Oxford if true, even if it was obviously wasted on you.

Last edited:
I think it all depends on whether the chastisement was occasional and took place within an overall nurturing childhood environment .
There proven links between ptsd reaction and childhood abuse of all kinds

I was smacked as a child , but my mam who did this also psychology abused me, leaving me with so many issues and mental health problems that getting through the day is a win. Could it be that those who feel it's ok to smack will also use other methods more harmful on their child. It could just be an indicator of an abuser ? Don't know?

I got clipped occasionally off me Ma as a kid I was one of nine so she had a big job on, never suffered from depression as far as I know or any issues relating to it, she was a wonder, I don’t know how she coped.
Having said that I’ve never raised a hand to my two bairns, well they’re owld bairns now.

How do we explain all these young kids that are depressed and never had a smack in their lives because they were raised in a modern world
Many got too much at a young age and had it too easy, and once life gets a bit tougher they freak out having lived a life of entitlement and having not been used to much adversity, not being told “no”, not getting their own way. Imo.

Social media making every fucker feel inadequate or forcing them to live a “false” life to impress others doesn’t help either.

Many got too much at a young age and had it too easy, and once life gets a bit tougher they freak out having lived a life of entitlement and having not been used to much adversity, not being told “no”, not getting their own way. Imo.

Social media making every fucker feel inadequate or forcing them to live a “false” life to impress others doesn’t help either.

Social media is a cancer on society

For me, social media is the biggest problem. It's a platform for people to show off their new items/holidays etc. That causes jealousy, and ultimately depression amongst young children/adults who's parents simply can't afford the same, despite their best efforts to work every hour god sends.

It's a sorry state that will only get worse or become the norm because let's face it, social media is not going away.
This. There is so much “keeping up with the Jones’” going on because of instagram etc it’s sending many young folk round the bend as deep down, they are skint and know they are living false lives.

IMO - you don't know what effect smacking will have on that child.

I had a great childhood, I was out like most kids (you don't see that know) kicking a 'penny floater' around the street, jumping into local harbours or climbing trees. Not only that my Father took me to RP every other week and was I starry eyed with SAFC.

My Dad only hit me a few times, but whatever it was I was being hit for, I never done again. I respected him and we're still the best of mates.

For me, social media is the biggest problem. It's a platform for people to show off their new items/holidays etc. That causes jealousy, and ultimately depression amongst young children/adults who's parents simply can't afford the same, despite their best efforts to work every hour god sends.

It's a sorry state that will only get worse or become the norm because let's face it, social media is not going away.
Nail on head. Social media has a lot to answer for

I think they'd think it had absolutely nowt to do with other people getting involved with disciplining their children. Whether it be smacking, taking toys or making them stand in the corner. I'd agree with them narl.

Imagine seeing some randomer making your kid take a time out or whatever or going up to someone's bairn and just taking their bike off them :lol:
I think you are missing my point. I agree entirely with what you have written here.
Let's leave the concept of "discipline" out of the question for a minute.
For those people that hit children - why do they regard the idea of hitting other people's children as taboo but it's perfectly acceptable to them to hit their own children?
Since they love them more, care for them more, spend more time with them, are closer to them etc etc.... surely it should be LESS acceptable to hit their own children. Yet they look at you as if you're mad if you even ask the question. :)

Crackers man.

Second time in a week we've agreed on something :eek:
Social media is a cancer on society
Agree...I've seen it used for character assasinations and calling strangers liars.

Last edited:
If a bairn goes to do something you’ve told them not to do multiple times, and shouting it still doesn’t work, then a little tap works.

It’s not illegal in England, which is handy because they’d have to have bobbies patrolling the aisles of Asda.
My son at 6 weeks cried when put down for his afternoon nap, he'd not cried before this time and there was no reason, so I told him I wasn't impressed and that he'd have to cry it out. It worked, and yes babies do understand tone of voice, it's genetically programmed into them to do so.

Starting discipline early is the key.
This. Parents don’t realise that toddlers can play with their emotions and turn on the tears when they want something too!
This. There is so much “keeping up with the Jones’” going on because of instagram etc it’s sending many young folk round the bend as deep down, they are skint and know they are living false lives.
The next year is going to be the turning point for this

Last edited:
I think you are missing my point. I agree entirely with what you have written here.
For those people that hit children - why do they regard the idea of hitting other people's children as taboo but it's perfectly acceptable to them to hit their own children?
Since they love them more, care for them more, spend more time with them, are closer to them etc etc.... surely it should be LESS acceptable to hit their own children. Yet they look at you as if you're mad if you even ask the question. :)

Crackers man.
Is it not a matter of responsibility? You're not responsible for how other peoples children behave but you are responsible for raising your own children to become decent adults. Yes, you obviously love them more, etc. but that doesn't mean you give them free rein to do whatever they like without knowing there will be consequences to some actions. It seems a slightly bizarre approach to bring other peoples children into how you treat your own kids.

I really don't know, one way or another, whether there is a right and wrong here which makes me wonder what the point of these investigations are. It's highly unlikely that you're going to eradicate kids getting the odd smack off parents, illegal or not.

Crackers man.

It's simple. And has been pointed out It's because other children are nowt to do with them you daft knacker.

Moo isn't saying he thinks it's wrong to give a child a clip. However, he wouldn't clip another person's child because IT'S NOT HIS CHILD!

If you have a dog, and it gets near another dog and starts growling etc you'll perhaps yank the lead to pull it away and tell it to knock off. Would you expect a randomer to yank your dog away and tell it off?

Last edited:
Is it not a matter of responsibility? You're not responsible for how other peoples children behave but you are responsible for raising your own children to become decent adults. Yes, you obviously love them more, etc. but that doesn't mean you give them free rein to do whatever they like without knowing there will be consequences to some actions. It seems a slightly bizarre approach to bring other peoples children into how you treat your own kids.

I really don't know, one way or another, whether there is a right and wrong here which makes me wonder what the point of these investigations are. It's highly unlikely that you're going to eradicate kids getting the odd smack off parents, illegal or not.

We've taught ours to eat healthy stuff, in the main. To get to that point we'd say no to treats etc until they'd eaten the food in front of them. So say at a kids party I'd be saying eat that first before you have ice cream. I'd not be doing that with anyone's else's kids. Kent lad is probably at parties telling other people's kids they can't have any ice cream until they've eaten all of their veg :lol:

It’s not absurd. Chalk and cheese. I’m not asking why people don’t discipline (in whatever way) other people’s children.

I am asking why they think it is acceptable to hit their own, when they are horrified (quite rightly) about the idea of hitting other people’s children.

Perhaps if child hitters thought through why they don’t hit any other child on the street they might question why they think it is OK to hit their own, that’s all.
Sorry but it is a question of discipline. You wouldn't discipline other people's kids.

I never smacked the bairn. Did not need to but I don't see a smack as something heinous. In the right context a quick rebuke on the backs of the legs would pay dividends.

Back