Link between adult depression and being smacked as a child

We’ve never done the cry it out thing, it made me feel depressed the one time we did try it. I had parental guilt. Whenever he cried during the night we stayed with him in his bedroom until he slept again. We wanted him to know when he needs us, we will be there. Now he sleeps a solid 12 hours every night without waking once. Different strokes for different folks, there’s no right or wrong way to parent to an extent.
My first born (different mum) was a horror, mainly because of her parents crap relationship, but early discipline will work well if the parents relatonship is solid...this is a key factor.

IMO - you don't know what effect smacking will have on that child.

I had a great childhood, I was out like most kids (you don't see that know) kicking a 'penny floater' around the street, jumping into local harbours or climbing trees. Not only that my Father took me to RP every other week and was I starry eyed with SAFC.

My Dad only hit me a few times, but whatever it was I was being hit for, I never done again. I respected him and we're still the best of mates.

For me, social media is the biggest problem. It's a platform for people to show off their new items/holidays etc. That causes jealousy, and ultimately depression amongst young children/adults who's parents simply can't afford the same, despite their best efforts to work every hour god sends.

It's a sorry state that will only get worse or become the norm because let's face it, social media is not going away.

Last edited:
I don’t think they’re claiming that 100% of mental health problems are caused by kids getting a clip.
I didn’t say they were.
We’ve never done the cry it out thing, it made me feel depressed the one time we did try it. I had parental guilt. Whenever he cried during the night we stayed with him in his bedroom until he slept again. We wanted him to know when he needs us, we will be there. Now he sleeps a solid 12 hours every night without waking once. Different strokes for different folks, there’s no right or wrong way to parent to an extent.
There are definitely wrong ways to raise a child.

Last edited:
I used to get the hit a lot for pretty much anything, not talking a clip round the ear, made me very insular and violent, took me a long time to get over it, definitely does your psyche damage and you just learn to violate other peoples boundaries too, obviously it's not the only reason for manifesting depression later in life but it really can fuck some people up

Why you would see fit to raise your hand to a child is beyond me. Never raise your hand to woman nor child was what my dad taught me, never have never will. I’m far from the perfect parent, often downright shit at it, but you are nothing but a bully if you hit kids.
I agree. I have never been able to undersand why adults hit children. When they're asked "would you hit other people's children?" they look horrified and amazed that you would even ask. But when you actually think about it... surely it is worse to hit your own children since you are meant to love them.

But you know... some people get kicks out of hurting and killing animals. I'll never understand them either.

I agree. I have never been able to undersand why adults hit children. When they're asked "would you hit other people's children?" they look horrified and amazed that you would even ask. But when you actually think about it... surely it is worse to hit your own children since you are meant to love them.

But you know... some people get kicks out of hurting and killing animals. I'll never understand them either.
:lol: Hitting other people's kids is definitely worse like.

:lol: Hitting other people's kids is definitely worse like.
Why? They are far more removed than a person’s own children. Surely an individual should love their children more than they love another person’s children. Surely that should mean they are less likely to hit their own??

Correlation of trends does not mean causation.

The classic example is that the divorce rate in Maine had a 99.26% correlation with the per capita consumption of margarine from 2000-2009.

Last edited:
Why? They are far more removed than a person’s own children. Surely an individual should love their children more than they love another person’s children. Surely that should mean they are less likely to hit their own??
Why? Have a think man. :lol:

Do you take toys off other people's kids if they are misbehaving? Make them sit on the naughty step?

Last edited:
So you’re not going to answer then? I recall asking the question first. I don’t hit children so asking me why I don’t take strangers’ children’s toys from them seems a bit odd. I also don’t buy them sweets, sing to them or throw paint over them.

If you’re bottling the question maybe any of the child hitters could answer instead?

So you’re not going to answer then? I recall asking the question first. I don’t hit children so asking me why I don’t take strangers’ children’s toys from them seems a bit odd. I also don’t buy them sweets, sing to them or throw paint over them.

If you’re bottling the question maybe any of the child hitters could answer instead?
I'm not bottling anything. I was smacked. I probably won't smack mine. I might do tho if a situation ever arises where I feel it necessary. It won't mean I don't love her.
I was just highlighting the absurdity of your question. If you take toys off your own children but not other people's it must mean you love your kids less. It's a silly question.

Last edited:
I'm not bottling anything. I was smacked. I probably won't smack mine. I might do tho if a situation ever arises where I feel it necessary. It won't mean I don't love her.
I was just highlighting the absurdity of your question. If you take toys off your own children but not other people's it must mean you love your kids less. It's a silly question.
It’s not absurd. Chalk and cheese. I’m not asking why people don’t discipline (in whatever way) other people’s children.

I am asking why they think it is acceptable to hit their own, when they are horrified (quite rightly) about the idea of hitting other people’s children.

Perhaps if child hitters thought through why they don’t hit any other child on the street they might question why they think it is OK to hit their own, that’s all.

Back