Link between adult depression and being smacked as a child

The Krankie Returns

Central Defender
Whilst this is the news article it’s worth a read.
Interesting for me was a line in the article about those who say it never did them any harm as a child therefore there isn’t a link and uses the analogy of a smoker that doesn’t get lung cancer. The science doesn’t back that up.
Anyway, there will still be those who will say that getting smacked never did them any harm, but they will probably be the ones who go on to smack their children.
And there will be people on here who say that it’s illegal in the UK to smack children. Well it’s also illegal to commit a burglary, deal drugs and exceed the speed limit, yet all of those things happen on a daily basis. Making something illegal doesn’t stop it.

I don’t know how I feel about this. I don’t think there’s enough data.

I was smacked as a child, my depression (minor) is down to experiences I’ve had in my young adult life, not my childhood.

There’s so much they need to consider. First born, middle child etc. family values, religion, single parent. It’s almost impossible

For me. Articles like this are a load of bollocks. You can find a link between most things if you look for it. How do we explain all these young kids that are depressed and never had a smack in their lives because they were raised in a modern world where we know it just doesn't work. Depression will be gone in a couple of generations then.

I’d guess that well over 90% of people over 40 were smacked as kids therefore of course there is a ‘link’. There’s probably a link between adult depression and eating apples as a kid as well or riding a bike…. Etc etc
I’m 50 and don’t recall ever being physically chastised. I’ve certainly never smacked my son. I think the significant link will be more in connection with physical discipline that is more than a “warning tap” and thus more traumatic.
We are really still only just beginning to understand how we process trauma and it’s impact on later life.

It will be similar with any form of bullying and increased mental health issues.
Probably a lot more so with it being perpertraited by the people that are supposed to protect and care for you.

Makes no reference of controlling for factors that may increase the likelihood of domestic violence, financial pressure, education, social mobility. Reads like they went in with an agenda.
I was smacked as a child, I haven't as yet smacked my daughter, I think the economic and political landscape in which she will grow up far more likely to influence her mental state that me raising a hand to her or not

nowt the matter with clipping a bairn to let them know what's right and what's wrong.Treat them like the royal family like most parents do these days by letting them get away with murder and they'll have no end of mental issues when they gan into the real world

Depression never did me any harm
For me. Articles like this are a load of bollocks. You can find a link between most things if you look for it. How do we explain all these young kids that are depressed and never had a smack in their lives because they were raised in a modern world where we know it just doesn't work. Depression will be gone in a couple of generations then.
I suppose you look at the findings and form a judgement
Clearly other factors bring on depression and we're still trying to suss the condition out
On basic level if you're exposed to certain behaviour when young it normalises stuff
Drink ,fags, bullying, casual violence , treating an animal like shit etc etc right down to habits and manners

Last edited:
I’d guess that well over 90% of people over 40 were smacked as kids therefore of course there is a ‘link’. There’s probably a link between adult depression and eating apples as a kid as well or riding a bike…. Etc etc

This.

Also doesn’t marry with the teen early 20s depression evident today.

I’m no way bear qualified but drugs and alcohol misuse count for a lot of depression. Why is that not studied?

Interesting for me was a line in the article about those who say it never did them any harm as a child therefore there isn’t a link and uses the analogy of a smoker that doesn’t get lung cancer. The science doesn’t back that up.
Anyway, there will still be those who will say that getting smacked never did them any harm, but they will probably be the ones who go on to smack their children.
And there will be people on here who say that it’s illegal in the UK to smack children. Well it’s also illegal to commit a burglary, deal drugs and exceed the speed limit, yet all of those things happen on a daily basis. Making something illegal doesn’t stop it.

It's not illegal to smack your child though, while burglary and drugs are.

Hitting children COULD cause depression for some while others will be fine. So can social media, bullying, lack of attention and many other things. I don’t believe smacking should be allowed, but data like this needs to be taken with a pinch of salt.

I’ve posted on a previous thread about using the naughty step. All three of my children are very well disciplined.

Last edited:

Back