Lindisfarne

Went to see them a couple of months back with a massive hangover. They were canny good like, wouldn't mind seeing them on the better side of the booze.

It's all bit tragic imo. I used to go to the Christmas concerts when young too.

Since I realised this documentary was on I've been listening to Lindisfarne again. Alan Hull - hugely underrated. Only just realised that Lady Eleanor was Poe influenced, never realised he was singing 'Roderick Usher'!

Few years ago we went to see the play "Clear White Light" which featured the songs of Lindisfarne. It was centred around a psychiatric hospital (Alan Hull had been a nurse at St Nicholas Hospital) & partly based on Poe's "Fall of the House of Usher"

The drummer Ray Laidlaw was in the company of two of The Guildford Four at the time they were supposed to be setting bombs off.

Probably unacceptable to admit this but my first ever 'gig' was a city hall Lindisfarne thingy

I can't have been more than about 12

Don't think disliking geordieism was as much of a thing back then
Me too, my folks took us to the city hall to see them in (I think) 1988 when I was a kid. The place was jumping and I think they’re well underrated.

Sunderland boys making all the noise 😎

Rod Clements wrote Meet Me on the Corner.
That makes sense. Its the song that, in retrospect, sounds quite different to most of the others that I'm familiar with. I realise, of course, that I could check songwriting credits ... but I can't be arsed

'
I was about 18 before I heard the term mackem. It wasn’t used until early 80s and definitely not used in Sunderland.

They couldn't find any written record of 'mackem' prior to the 80s when they were putting it in the dictionary.

I think 'Geordie' was primarily a Tyneside miner, but it was probably less controversial to call a Wearsider that before the 90s.

Ray Jackson did that jingly jangly bit in Rod Stewart’s Maggie May.

Stewart couldn’t remember his name so he’s listed on the record as ‘That fella from Lindisfarne’ or words to that effect.
Played on Mandolin Wind (and not by John Peel as the myth would say). Ray wasn't best pleased with his payment for it.
I was about 18 before I heard the term mackem. It wasn’t used until early 80s and definitely not used in Sunderland.
The 60s, Mackem was used as a piss take until the late 80s and when the Geordie Nation were formed by SJH, much against the will of many of us. Like all insults it's best to neutralise them by embracing them.

Few years ago we went to see the play "Clear White Light" which featured the songs of Lindisfarne. It was centred around a psychiatric hospital (Alan Hull had been a nurse at St Nicholas Hospital) & partly based on Poe's "Fall of the House of Usher"
I went to see that too. Really enjoyed it. Thought Charlie Hardwick was excellent. Alan Hull wrote some classics.

Back