Lindisfarne

Met Alan numerous times socially, I was mates with a couple of nephews of his. Their mother was Moira who got a mention in the documentary, he said she was the sister that introduced him to music.

Anyhoo hats off to the BBC to give Alan the national recognition he deserved.

I was about 18 before I heard the term mackem. It wasn’t used until early 80s and definitely not used in Sunderland.

I was in a bar in France in the early eighties when the Cockney barman introduced me to his mate;
“Geordie, Mackem
Mackem Geordie “
Hadn’t a clue what he was on about.

Saw the Lindisfarne Story a few years ago which was basically Ray Laidlaw & Billy Mitchell telling stories & anecdotes about the band with the odd song thrown in.

Don't remember hearing Mackem at all when growing up. Must have been the 80s before I became aware of it and it still doesn't feel quite right no matter how much the media like to use it.

Never really had any interest in Lindisfarne although I think a couple of mates might have had some albums. I remember a mate's Mam used to go the Christmas shows every year which seemed weird.

I never thought it was a problem to listen to Lindisfarne just because they supported a football team or lived in an area that was 10 to 12 miles from where the team I supported or the place I lived.

In fact I actually went and bought their first single because I thought it would be nice to support a local band. Wasn’t that keen on them but liked a few songs. Was in their company for an afternoon when they were a very awkward and rude to television studio crew in the mid 70s which coloured my perspective on them - but I suspect they were tired and emotional.

The ‘Mackem versus Geordie’ thing is strange. I’ve never, ever considered myself to be a Geordie - which I’ve always thought of as a Tyneside thing.

I recall a mild insult/mickey take of Sunderland people being the term ‘mackem’ but I only heard it in my 20s ) I think) so I don’t think it was common or used/owned by Sunderland people in 73 ...for example. John Hall has a lot to answer for. In creating a ‘nation’ he unnecessarily and rather pettyly (not a word) divided a region.

And I’m not from Sunderland so I’m not a Mackem anyway.

My origins are NW County Durham. I’ve never really felt the need to apply a meaningless sobriquet to myself to validate my existence or give meaning to my sad and lonely life. 😜

And it’s not stopped me from listening to music. I even like some of Sting’s stuff and Brian Johnson’s dulcet tones have accompanied me on the exercise bike on a regular basis.

The Fog on the Tyne is mine too.
You’ve gone too far there mind (unless you mean The Police)

Back