Lindisfarne

As stated previously, Geordie was rebranded by Ashington born and Teesside resident John Hall to be intrinsically linked to NUFC. Whenever I'm talking to anyone from outside the area they always assume as a Geordie I support "the Toon" (another brand). I always explain that "the Toon" is supported by the local inbreeds whilst all the intelligencia of the region support Sunderland AFC, what with it being founded by educators. I use those exact words because I'm a bit of a knob like that.
As far as I'm aware the term Geordie refers to the regions miners preference of using a lamp invented by George Stephenson rather than the Davy lamp used elsewhere. So basically applies to all of the regions pit area's and not exclusively to supporters of NUFC.
Shame really that the division has seeped into local politics but it's okay because the Tooniban are going to invest billions into the region, just like how Jimmy Saville did a lot for charity.
Enjoyed the documentary. Laughed at Fender speculating that the band didn't get the recognition the songs deserved because of the perception of all Geordies being daft dumb drunks. A stereotype he's more than enforced recently. Projecting a little bit there Sam. The fact that the Geordie nation have adopted the cringeworthy 'local hero' as their anthem as opposed to one of Alan Hulls songs would also reinforce the perception.
What the documentary didn't mention was that Hull signed over all his publishing as part of the original Lindisfarne record deal and subsequently made nowt from sales and plays.

My uncle was mates with Alan from when they were very young and doing the clubs around the region. He came to my Nana's house, but I was only very young at the time. My uncle worked in Pallion yard and grew up in Pennywell, you coget more Sunderland if you tried. As fas as I know there was never any kind of Sunderland Newcastle thing, it was all just music and comedy.

As far as I'm aware the term Geordie refers to the regions miners preference of using a lamp invented by George Stephenson rather than the Davy lamp used elsewhere. So basically applies to all of the regions pit area's and not exclusively to supporters of NUFC.
I thought it was their support of King George where us south of the Tyne were on Cromwell's side? No idea where that came from mind.

We were all Geordies then
The firm I served my time at did work in all North East shipyards.Remember first time somebody came to to me and said “Tack this and pipe and tack it ashore “
Didn’t have a clue what he Meant next few days every time he passed he said the same thing .Eventually somebody explained how it was the I said tack instead of take .The yard was At Wallsend
late 60s

Just about everyone in the north east called themselves Geordies apart from a tiny few in Newcastle who called themselves Novocastrians. You would also get Northumbrians and Wearsiders. Makems or Mackems wasn't used. To my knowledge that began as a Tyneside term of abuse based on the Wearside speech of mak and tak, different to the Tyneside mek and tek, and Mak and Taks predated Makem. Others may have other explanations. Eventually you had the Fulwell end chanting of Geordies - Makems. The appropriation of Geordie for a native of Newcastle only was cultivated by John Hall era Skunks

Wherivvor ye gan ye're sure te find a Geordie
Wherivvor ye gan yer native tongue ye'll hear
In any place across the sea
It makes nee odds where it might be
Ye're sure to hear a Geordie say 'Wot Cheor'
From canny Newcassell, Sunderland and Gateshead
From Tyne and Wear ye'll meet them ivvorywhere
There's not a place that ye can name
But somebody wants the news from hyem
Whereivvor ye gan the Geordie will be there.

Alan Price was red and white but got involved at Fulham...
Alan Price was at the 73 final with David Essex.

I thought it was their support of King George where us south of the Tyne were on Cromwell's side? No idea where that came from mind.
That's a pretty divisive one. Not really plausible IMO that a river would divide allegiance's on a mass scale. So the story goes that it was only the merchants of the city who rejected the Jacobite uprising. As many of the Jacobite's were from Northumberland this wouldn't support the notion of anyone north of the Tyne being a Geordie. Unsure. Perhaps there's something in both stories.

Not bad this first album. Heard a few before of course, but ya kna, not the whole thing altogether at once.

Still black and white bastards mind.
Rod Clements wrote Meet Me on the Corner.
That's the best one.
Really? I'm only 30 so I've never known anyone in Sunderland to call themselves Geordies.

I'll have to look at the 73 final. Never actually seen it.
:eek:

Last edited:

That was Charles I though.

There's a story that it comes from the city of Newcastle supporting George I of the Hanover line while rural parts of the region remained loyal to the Stuart line (ie Jacobites) in the eighteenth century, which is possible although I think the mining links would have lasted longer.

Back