Lindisfarne

Just about everyone in the north east called themselves Geordies apart from a tiny few in Newcastle who called themselves Novocastrians. You would also get Northumbrians and Wearsiders. Makems or Mackems wasn't used. To my knowledge that began as a Tyneside term of abuse based on the Wearside speech of mak and tak, different to the Tyneside mek and tek, and Mak and Taks predated Makem. Others may have other explanations. Eventually you had the Fulwell end chanting of Geordies - Makems. The appropriation of Geordie for a native of Newcastle only was cultivated by John Hall era Skunks

Wherivvor ye gan ye're sure te find a Geordie
Wherivvor ye gan yer native tongue ye'll hear
In any place across the sea
It makes nee odds where it might be
Ye're sure to hear a Geordie say 'Wot Cheor'
From canny Newcassell, Sunderland and Gateshead
From Tyne and Wear ye'll meet them ivvorywhere
There's not a place that ye can name
But somebody wants the news from hyem
Whereivvor ye gan the Geordie will be there.

Alan Price was red and white but got involved at Fulham...
"Man lernt nie aus," as my friend would say (every day's a schoolday)!

Cheers, I genuinely never knew that. Maybe because I'm from southwest Co Durham.

Probably unacceptable to admit this but my first ever 'gig' was a city hall Lindisfarne thingy

I can't have been more than about 12

Don't think disliking geordieism was as much of a thing back then
Agree it wasnt, it became a thing in the 90's when John Hall tried to ethnically cleanse the region.
We were singing geordies here geordies there at Wembley in 73.
Talk to me Dads generation and they all classed themselves as Geordies when they went away to do their National Service.
I saw Lindisfarne at Sunderland Poly, they were excellent
Really? I'm only 30 so I've never known anyone in Sunderland to call themselves Geordies.

I'll have to look at the 73 final. Never actually seen it.
Call ya self a Sunderland lad ??

Last edited:
Aye. But I was born in 1991 so I don't really feel a connection to the 1973 team, all of whom will have retired from football before I was even born!

Sadly I'm too young to remember Sunderland being good. :lol:
I was born in 1961, i wish i could see the films of the 36 & 37 teams when we won the league and FA Cup. But unlike now you cant see full length DVD's or You tube clips of their games. Where as 73 is quite easy to view.
If you can take a look at Mean While back in Sunderland which is on You tube. This shows what was going on in the town while the 73 cup final was going on. Its a canny watch and a bit history of the town.
Aye. But I was born in 1991 so I don't really feel a connection to the 1973 team, all of whom will have retired from football before I was even born!

So am i, I still havent seen us win the league or see us win at Wembley when i am actually in the ground😀🙂

Last edited:
Fantastic live band. When the main band was together never gave two hoots about their roots. They were just great to watch and made some excellent songs. To be honest they probably deserved to be much bigger

Good programme that, some interesting contributions from people I'd never have associated with Alan, like Elvis and Peter Gabriel.

2 of the acts near the end are on at the Fire Station next month! Voices Of Virtue are on with Smoove & Turrell and I think Marty Lake Poet will be the first ever artist to play there.

Mark Knopfler has aged rapidly, mind.

Good programme that, some interesting contributions from people I'd never have associated with Alan, like Elvis and Peter Gabriel.

2 of the acts near the end are on at the Fire Station next month! Voices Of Virtue are on with Smoove & Turrell and I think Marty Lake Poet will be the first ever artist to play there.

Mark Knopfler has aged rapidly, mind.
As I usually do I googled everything to death when I heard about this documentary, so I knew about Genesis (loved Peter Gabriel's comments). Also came across Elvis' interpretation of Winter Song.

Good to have a new Friday night music documentary on BBC4 again and a really good one that captured Alan Hull's brilliance, as well as his politics, humour and stubborness. Lindisfarne were just there when I was a bairn, part of the air and almost taken for granted.

Good to have a new Friday night music documentary on BBC4 again and a really good one that captured Alan Hull's brilliance, as well as his politics, humour and stubborness. Lindisfarne were just there when I was a bairn, part of the air and almost taken for granted.
Well said. Really enjoyed watching that.

Its a decent game. The main thing you'll probably notice is despite them being one of the best teams in the country we didn't put 10 men behind the ball and try and counter. It's brilliant, if anything we are more on the front foot then them. These days the game would be parking the bus from the first minute.
The fouls are brilliant n'all. Richie Pitts is savage. My dad was there and that's his favourite memory from the day

Well that documentary was excellent. Leaving the geordie connection to one side Alan Hull was an oustanding songwriter and performer. I saw him many times in various settings but one of my favourites was at the Glebe Folk and Blues Club upstairs at the Royalty pub (Stumble Inn for the young'uns) in front of maybe 80-100 people. He played like he was on stage at the City Hall and gave it everything. Tremendous.

I never thought it was a problem to listen to Lindisfarne just because they supported a football team or lived in an area that was 10 to 12 miles from where the team I supported or the place I lived.

In fact I actually went and bought their first single because I thought it would be nice to support a local band. Wasn’t that keen on them but liked a few songs. Was in their company for an afternoon when they were a very awkward and rude to television studio crew in the mid 70s which coloured my perspective on them - but I suspect they were tired and emotional.

The ‘Mackem versus Geordie’ thing is strange. I’ve never, ever considered myself to be a Geordie - which I’ve always thought of as a Tyneside thing.

I recall a mild insult/mickey take of Sunderland people being the term ‘mackem’ but I only heard it in my 20s ) I think) so I don’t think it was common or used/owned by Sunderland people in 73 ...for example. John Hall has a lot to answer for. In creating a ‘nation’ he unnecessarily and rather pettyly (not a word) divided a region.

And I’m not from Sunderland so I’m not a Mackem anyway.

My origins are NW County Durham. I’ve never really felt the need to apply a meaningless sobriquet to myself to validate my existence or give meaning to my sad and lonely life. 😜

And it’s not stopped me from listening to music. I even like some of Sting’s stuff and Brian Johnson’s dulcet tones have accompanied me on the exercise bike on a regular basis.

The Fog on the Tyne is mine too.

I was about 18 before I heard the term mackem. It wasn’t used until early 80s and definitely not used in Sunderland.
Completely agree
I was 16 in 1982 and at training school in hebburn and term was never used
My mate used to say geordies used to use the term for people from Sunderland but never heard it myself until Sunderland people started using it

Last edited:
Just watched my recording of the documentary.

Poignant and, in some ways, inspiring.

One of the weirdest bits was recognising Impulse Studios and thinking ‘who’s that?’ before realising it was a thinner and younger Dave Wood.

Must admit, I never knew their music, just the name. This has given me an interest in checking them out. Football aside, I like to see anyone from the north east make a success of it.

Back